Dodge Challenger Forums

Dodge Challenger Forums (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/)
-   General Dodge Challenger Discussions (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/general-dodge-challenger-discussions-7/)
-   -   window drop feature when opening the doors (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/general-dodge-challenger-discussions-7/window-drop-feature-when-opening-doors-5448/)

mot250 11-29-2008 08:57 PM

window drop feature when opening the doors

What is the best way to prevent the window glass from freezing to the door weather strip (at the bottom of the window)?

Mine froze this way the other day and when I opened the door, the window could not drop the 1 inch or so it normally does. I was able to open the door but when I closed the door, the window could not seal properly by running up into the top weather seal, it just closed on the outside of the seal.

While driving the car, the thin coat of ice finally melted enough for me to put the window down a little and back up to seal properly but is there a sure fire way to prevent this freeze?

rickerda 11-30-2008 02:19 AM

RE: window drop feature when opening the doors

You may want to get can of spray de-icer, and clear the ice before you open the door.

RoswellGrey 11-30-2008 02:49 AM

ORIGINAL: mot250

is there a sure fire way to prevent this freeze?
Yep. Move south. ;)

mopar2ya 11-30-2008 04:25 AM

What is the best way to prevent the window glass from freezing to the door weather strip (at the bottom of the window)?
Hey mot... might want to try a thin coat of silicone lube on the weatherstripping. Maybe spray some on your finger and and wipe onto surface. Make sure to read the label to make sure there are no petroleum products in the one you choose. Petroleum products will obviously cause issues with the rubber weather stripping.

Then again... you could just keep it in the garage... ;)

Paladin06 11-30-2008 04:49 AM

Cover the window at night with a sheet or blanket or join me in AZ. No frozen windows in the East Valley.:D

fatcat 11-30-2008 06:49 AM

OMG I'm up here in NJ and my windows are gonna freeze too....HEY ROSWELL I'm packin up and movin down by you , Is that OK ? LOL or a little McQuires Rubber/vinyl black again treatment on the seal with your finger and it won't hurt the seal either. And now Roswell is going ' phewwwww " scared the heck out of me for a minute there...LMAO....Fat Cat[sm=gears.gif]

ORIGINAL: RoswellGrey

is there a sure fire way to prevent this freeze?
Yep. Move south. ;)

mot250 11-30-2008 09:23 AM

Cool. I'll try some silcone lube.

Yeah, garage would do the trick, at least for overnights, but work parking lot or other errands could still pose a problem. If I planned this purchase properly, I would have had a shed built for my lawn equipment and then the Challenger would fit in the garage. I could put the wife's Commander outside instead of the Challenger but that would cause other "freezing" issues, if you catch my drfit...

RoswellGrey 11-30-2008 10:37 AM

ORIGINAL: fatcat

And now Roswell is going ' phewwwww " scared the heck out of me for a minute there...LMAO....Fat Cat[sm=gears.gif]

You said it, Fatcat! ;)

Actually, I used to have the reverse problem on my 70. Whenever there was freezing rain (and I'm originally from Iowa, so I've seen plenty of that), both doors would stick shut. If it had rained enough, you couldn't budge either of them, unless there happened to be a water hose nearby that could be used to melt the ice. And then as soon as that water froze, the doors would stick shut again. I broke one of the door handles off one time while trying to get the driver's door open.

BLK 6050 11-30-2008 11:35 AM

ORIGINAL: RoswellGrey
Actually, I used to have the reverse problem on my 70. Whenever there was freezing rain (and I'm originally from Iowa, so I've seen plenty of that), both doors would stick shut. If it had rained enough, you couldn't budge either of them, unless there happened to be a water hose nearby that could be used to melt the ice. And then as soon as that water froze, the doors would stick shut again. I broke one of the door handles off one time while trying to get the driver's door open.
[/quote]

You sure you didn't have the "Dukes" option were the factory simply welded the doors shut...it was usually only found on 1969 Chargers painted Orange, but a few Challengers may have left the factory with this little known option......
(This option also helped during street racing as it made it almost impossible to get your doors blown off)

RoswellGrey 11-30-2008 12:04 PM

Yeah, Joe. Except in my case, they forgot to roll the windows down before they welded the doors shut. :D:D:D