Notices
General Dodge Challenger Discussions Discuss anything related to the new Dodge Challenger within...

Window Etching

Old 11-14-2008, 12:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Window Etching

As an added theft deterrent, I purchased a window etching kit for my 2009 Challenger SRT.

It only costs $19.95. As an added bonus, most insurance companies knock off about $10 off your premium. (This is the same etching that dealers perform for $150). See:

VINshield: VIN Etching - Proven Auto Theft Deterrent - VIN etch - Auto Theft Protection That Works - vinetch - vinetching

Does any one else plan to do this?

Here is a description of how it works from their web site:

"Cars and trucks are stolen by professional thieves for one of two reasons, either for resale or for parts. VIN Vaccination effectively deters the theft of the VINshield™ protected vehicle for resale because it is very costly to alter its VIN since all the glass must be replaced.

Also, buyers of stolen vehicles will not risk getting caught with VINshield marked cars and trucks because the VIN etched window glass is great physical evidence in court. Theft of the vehicle by a chop shop for parts is also deterred because no thief wants all your glass around the shop with the incriminating VIN etched on every piece. The etching does not change the appearance of the car at all. In fact you can hardly see it, but the police and the thieves know right where to look and that is what counts. So, the thief merely looks for a vehicle without VINshield protection to steal."

Old 11-22-2008, 02:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Window Etching

I did that with my '02 Jeep Liberty, and it really isn't noticeable..

I am also planning on doing it with my new Challenger..

(just make sure you save the kit after you do it, so when you replace any glass you don't have to buy it again..)
Old 11-24-2008, 06:17 AM

I got it done and I can say it is almost invisible. You have to look really hard to see it. Good, bad or indifferent, I am doing everything I can to protect my SRT.
Old 11-24-2008, 09:40 AM

The etching has to be somewhat visible in order to be an effective theft deterrent. I have the etching on my SUV, and if you look closely, you can plainly see the numbers........
Old 11-24-2008, 04:58 PM

Why wouldn't the thieves just bash out the windows? Most are just cutting it up for parts anyway. Lojack would probably be best so that you could track it in time before it was destroyed. Just my thought, but I guess thieves are smarter than I. They sit around all day and think of their options. Most thieves if they spent as much time doing real work would probably make more dollars per hour for their time.