Notices
General Dodge Challenger Discussions Discuss anything related to the new Dodge Challenger within...

Would you buy the V6?

Old 04-04-2006, 12:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Would you buy the V6?

I think you'll have the option of all three and later the 6.4 in a limited production model to take on all comers. The 5.7 has been their bread and butter V/8 so why would they leave it out of the engine line-up for the Challenger?
Old 04-04-2006, 06:07 PM

ORIGINAL: deranged

I think you'll have the option of all three and later the 6.4 in a limited production model to take on all comers. The 5.7 has been their bread and butter V/8 so why would they leave it out of the engine line-up for the Challenger?
I truly hope you are right on this one...
Old 04-04-2006, 06:43 PM
Super Moderator

If they don't make a V-8, I will not buy it.

Gosh that sounds strange saying that. I don't even want to think about that.
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 04-05-2006, 05:19 PM

ORIGINAL: Jeremiah 29:11

If they don't make a V-8, I will not buy it.

Gosh that sounds strange saying that. I don't even want to think about them.
Well we know that the 6.1 Hemi is a given....

Personally I think that it only makes perfectly good sense that Dodge would field a budget minded base V8 Challenger model with the 5.7-Hemi V8...

But, some of the various talking heads on this and other post seem to think that Dodge will ONLY make a avery limitted production of the 6.1 Hemi V8 the first year, then a follow on the next year with an undetermined volumed V6 , then a possible 5.7 V8-Hemi even later...

That in my opinion would NOT be the best way to market this car if Dodge is serious about selling any volumes of various models here.

If the first year is an abreviated model year as some suspect then ok stagger the release of the 6.1-V8 Hemi with the 5.7-V8 Hemi and a V6-high-output by maybe a 6-8 month period but I would certainly make sure the 5.7-V8 base model was available to the public as soon as possible... just my opinion...

Old 04-05-2006, 06:57 PM

What if they made a V6 capable of >325 WHP? Would you like that.
Old 04-05-2006, 07:47 PM
Super Moderator

We have a 2006 Mustang with 300HP and it is a lighter car and I know it's capabilities. Would I want a car with 326HP........no.
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 04-06-2006, 08:37 AM

They will have a 5.7 V-8 Is the R/T and then the 6.1 V-8 SRT two different engines. They did it with the 300, magnum and charger it would be stupid not to have a 5.7 for the challenger. Im sure they will have the lil V-6
Old 04-08-2006, 03:06 AM

COUNT ME IN ON A V6 & AUTO!!!!!

I hate to disagree with everyone on the thread so far, but I will buy a V6 model if they make one. Also, I prefer an Auto Tranny. I am currently in Iraq. Meanwhile saving up money to purchase a "Daily Driver" car when I get out of the Army. Which at time of post is another 20 months.

Hear me out on my reasoning before you pass up on reading my reply to this thread!

Besides being a poor 23 year old without a definate plan for my life when I get out in 20 months. I have ALWAYS (well really ONLY since 1990 when I saw the concept) wanted to buy a Dodge Viper. Do not get me wrong the Challenger Concept is a beautiful car, which is partly why I lke it, but I have to have my priorities in the right place to ever be able to get my Viper. That is one reason why I NOT ONLY "WILL BUY A V6 MODEL", but WANT A V6 MODEL INSTEAD OF A V8 MODEL. Another reason I want a V6 model is because of the current and future gas prices, and with the concept V8's projected fuel economy at 14/20MPG, I cannot see spending the extra money on the V8 and loosing even more money on the cost of fuel. Although the estimated 0-60 in 4.5 seconds on the concept's V8 sounds pretty nice, I think I can wait a few more years past waiting on the Challenger to even come into production to drive my Viper's V10 at its rated 4.5 seconds and below depending on year and mods.

Which brings me to another reason not only me, but any modifier should want the V6 model instead of a V8. The reason is simple! Everyone has heard of an Engine Swap. And Im sure some people on this site have even seen a Viper's V10 go into a few older model muscle cars, maybe even the original Challenger, a Cuda, or any other Mopar Muscle car. The point of this, is the money saved on purchasing a new V6 versus a new V8 Challenger will give you that much more money for your V10 project car! Which if I had enough money, would be the first one to do a V10 project with the new Challenger Body, and would easiely make at least $10-15k selling it after completion to a collector or even a normal driver.

The fact of the matter is, yes, "A Real Sports Car Will Have Nothing Less Than A V8!", but I say HOG-WASH! A REAL SPORTS CAR ONLY HAS A V10!!! JK, Im sure that got a few people upset. Yes a V8 is nice, and a V10 is even nicer, but there are a few advantages to a smaller engine. One I havent touched yet is cheaper Insurance! But I wont get into that or any other reasons.

We all know it depends on how much someone is willing OR able to spend and what they want that determines what car they buy.

Old 04-08-2006, 06:30 AM

[quote]ORIGINAL: viperwings

I hate to disagree with everyone on the thread so far, but I will buy a V6 model if they make one. Also, I prefer an Auto Tranny. I am currently in Iraq. Meanwhile saving up money to purchase a "Daily Driver" car when I get out of the Army. Which at time of post is another 20 months.
[quote]

THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE TO OUR COUNTRY.... GOD BLESS YOU ALL...

Your logic is good logic, especially for you & others like you who will want to BUILD or radically customize their own car... Like I have said if an only if, in my case a 5.7-V8 were not available at a reasonable price, would I even consider a V6, and then if it were a 325 to 350hp range with higher V8 like torq...In that case it would probably have to be a Turbo-V6 in the same vain as the 1980s Buick Grand-Nationals or GNX...

This would be an OK choice for me, but NOT what I truly would have liked. I am a V8 person and I am like alot of buyers who as much as I'd love to build/swap out engines, do not have the time or expendable cash to have it done. Also am one of those kind of guys who will only do very minor mods to his car wanting to keep it near stock...So, if Dodge does not make a reasonably priced V8, then people like myself will probalby end up buying a base model V8-Mustang-GT, or will end up waiting in hopes that in a few years after the Challengers release that they get very lucky and find a well taken care of higher mileage USED 2-3 year old V8-Challenger at a price they can afford...

The idea of a V6 for someone like you, who will want to do an engine swap, is perfectly logical...
My son is 21 and a mechanic in the Air Force and if he were into the Challenger, he'd want to do the exact thing you are planning to do except he'd probably want the 6.4-V8 Hemi knowing him...

Thanks again for your service & keep up the GREAT work...
May God Bless & protect you and your buddies....
Old 04-08-2006, 06:32 PM
Super Moderator

I would like to say first.....thanks for doing what you do in the Army.

Secondly, you are doing the right thing in planning what you want and taking the steps to fulfill your dream.

There is nothing wrong with that. Who are we trying to please anyway but our own dreams.

Go for it.

Quick Reply: Would you buy the V6?