Dodge Challenger Forums

Dodge Challenger Forums (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/)
-   New Member Area (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/new-member-area-5/)
-   -   To drive or not to drive. (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/new-member-area-5/drive-not-drive-2555/)

DSkippy 04-29-2008 06:20 AM

RE: To drive or not to drive.

Mine will be a fair weather car. My commute is 100 miles round trip. I don't intend to coddle my Challenger (too much) , but I'm also not going to rag it out prematurely.

Additionally, I have no intentions of making some shaikh even richer for his low numbered tag on my dime!

My car will be the Friday car; as in, I'll take it to work on Fridays when it's nice.

lear4406 04-29-2008 09:52 AM

I've owned my 71 Challenger for almost 30 years and I still have it... oh the memories. And my 70 GTX just a few years shy of that. And I never put more than 80,000 miles on the Challenger and only 89,000 on the GTX. My Conquest and Stealth are my primary drivers with over 200,000 miles on each. So my 2009 Challenger will be driven sparsingly. I can only drive one at a time;) But I will drive it alot until the newness wears off:)

05-30-2008 08:55 AM

O.K. I am going to state my personal opinion and will probably ruffle a few feathers in the process.I have worked on and restored a 70 challenger in my own garage in the backyard.I take it to car shows and in my area you have a hard time finding a place to park with all of the "new" cars taking all of the spaces.Car shows are about bringing out the vintage iron,street rods,muscle cars ect. not to show off the new car you just bought.As for whether to drive your new challenger or not I still say it's a car meant to be driven.I drive my challenger,I drag race it including some really hairy water box burnouts,I drive it when it rains (wipers were not optional in 1970) I have people ask me all the time what if I break it ? I'll fix it and continue to enjoy the car the way it was meant to be enjoyed.Although my car can hold it's own on any carshow field I'm not into trophies as most people don't really appreciate the amount of work that it took to make my car look and run the way it does.I get the most amount of enjoyment in the seat at wide open throttle listening to the six pack suck air while the tires are trying to harness the power!!!! DRIVE YOUR NEW CHALLENGER!!!! OR LET ME I'LL SHOW YOU HOW TO REALLY ENJOY IT!!!!

[IMG]local://upfiles/1425/C684A18F22654746BF6EB4EA0E2A2965.jpg[/IMG]

Andre@Edge 05-30-2008 09:39 AM

4406v,

I could not agree more! I will drive this thing like it was built to be.....

Dodge did a great job, but now it's time to teach this new dog old tricks!

First is the converter upgrade/cold air intake/Computer tune
The torque converters in the LX cars are built by Mercedes and the clearances are excessive. Just setting tighter clearances and upgrading the multi disk lock up to Red Eagle Frictions, and Kolenes. I see MUCH less gap between Crank HP, and HP at the tires. The transmission is one of the best ever made (722.6 Mercedes).

I'm waiting for a R&D supercharger from a company I do business with. When I add the SC I will upgrade the rotating assembly, and only run about 4lbs of boost.

The best part about this car... No brand new parts, no waiting for the after market to catch up.