Notices
New Member Area Are you new to DodgeChallenger.com? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

Latest R/T

Old 10-25-2008, 10:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Latest R/T

[IMG]Obviously, I am new here, otherwise I would not be posting here, right?!? Anyway, love the site. I searched all around the great Northwest for a 6-speed Challenger and finally found one. It is a fully loaded R/T in Bright Silver. Not my first choice in colors, but it looks good in person. I was going to order a Deep Water Blue one, but the dealers around here were saying 4-6 months. I could not wait that long. I was able to get mine at a dealer that is about 250 miles away. It was all freeway home and it was a blast to drive. It was amazing how many people couldn't stop looking at it on the way home. It is now parked next to my 71 Challenger that was orignally a 340 with a 727 automatic and it now has a 440/727. I took some pictures today with the two together. It is amazing to me how much bigger the 09 is compared to the 71. My only complaint to far is the huge blind spot. Makes the daily commute way funner and easier to tolerate that's for sure. I can't seem to stop grinning!

Old 10-25-2008, 10:34 PM

Default RE: Latest R/T

Here are a few more pictures!
Old 10-25-2008, 10:36 PM

Welcome and thanks for the pics...
The RT looks huge in pic #2....
Old 10-25-2008, 10:40 PM

- I know. If you look close, the top of the R/T 20" wheel/tire is almost the same height as the 71 hood! Amazing how the same they really are. Dodge did a great job redoing in a modern, but still keeping it retro in my opinion. I couldn't be happier!
Old 10-26-2008, 12:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK I have to ask... how long did it take for you to park one Challenger and then walk home and get the other? Nice pair of Challengers no doubt and double the fun You are one lucky man and may I ask of your impressions of the 6-speed. I will be purchasing one soon and wanted to hear a real persons take on the pedal pressure and smoothness of the transmission. 6-speed all the way, but I'm torn between the SRT-8 and the R/T. I keep going back and forth on which I should get.
Old 10-26-2008, 04:28 AM

Welcome to the forum and a huge CONRATS! on your new ride 71_340...

Thanks for the pics... pretty interesting how they stack up size wise, but the New Challenger really dosn"t seem all that big when not sitting next to an original.

Funny you should mention The Grin... an amazing design element that seems to lie at the heart of each and every one...
Old 10-26-2008, 03:02 PM

OK I have to ask... how long did it take for you to park one Challenger and then walk home and get the other ?
FUNNY lear4406! Actually, I drove the 71 and the wife drove the 09 over the the elementry school my kids go to. After the we took the pictures, we took a little drive in the two around town.

lear4406, I had the same problem with trying to decide between the R/T and the SRT8. I never drove an SRT8, but I am happy with the performance of the R/T. I was only considering a manual in both. The kicker to me on paper was that the torque for the R/T manual was around 410 and 425 for the SRT8. That is the seat of the pants acceleration you use every day. I know there is about 45-50 more HP in the SRT8, but I doubt I would ever see it. If I decide at a later time I do need more HP, I will get a supercharger. Then, once I drove it, the R/T has more than enough to throw you back in your seat. I have only have about 400 miles on mine, so I have not driven it overly hard yet. You can feel when you hit the power band at around 2500 or so and it plants you back in your seat. Don't get me wrong, I would love to have the SRT8, but it was not worth the extra $10k-$12k over the deal on got on my R/T. And, the nice part is the lifetime power train warranty you get and, if you want an extended warranty, you can get a lifetime on that. The SRT8 extened warranties I looked at did not go over 7 years/100,000 miles. All in all, the 6-speed is a blast to drive. In my opinion, the shifting is smooth and responsive. It is forgiving enough as well that, if you are in gas saving mode for some reason, you can shift at realativley low RPMs and not have to ride the clutch. I do not care for the forced 1-4 shift it makes you do if you happen to shift at the right speed & RPM. Overall, I am extremely happy with my R/T and not at all disapponted in "settling" for the R/T. The way that I will be driving it in the everyday real world, I think it will be a perfect compromise. Plus, if you do really care about gas mileage, I got 23 mpg on my trip back home from the dealer on the freeway and going over a mountain pass. I hope this helps lear4406.

mopar2ya - When you sit in both cars, you can definately feel the difference in size. It is interesting that the rear quarter flares over the wheels are much more pronounced on the 09 verses the 71. But, the beltline and over wheel details are more pronouced on the 71. Overall, when you just sit and look at the two side by side, I am very pleased with how well the update the look and keeping with the original design ques without bastardizing it like GM did with the new Camaro in my opinion.

Thanks all for the welcome to the forum. I look forward to being an active member.