Notices
New Member Area Are you new to DodgeChallenger.com? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

New member with some questions?

Old 02-11-2009, 07:37 AM
ajc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New member with some questions?

I am considering the Challenger and would like to ask some questions.

I will be using the car for a daily driver and like to get the RT.

Is the SE much more fuel efficient?
What are some of the actual mpg you are getting with the Hemi?
How does the Challenger handle in the snow (1 to 3 inches)?
Does anyone else use as a daily driver

Old 02-11-2009, 11:13 AM

Default RE: New member with some questions?

My 2 cents. The SE being a 6 banger will get better fuel economy. Being RWD any Challenger may be a "Challenge" to drive in the snow. If you buy an R/T get some POS to drive on the bad weather days!
Old 02-11-2009, 04:45 PM

I have a 09 R/T 6 speed with 5.7 Hemi . Purchased it Nov. 08 . Have around 6000 miles on it now. Living in mid Kentucky . I have driven on lot's of ice this winter and a few inch's of snow. The car has 3.92 with pos rear- end . And the Good Year All Season 245/45/20 tires. I've not had any problem going . The 6 speed is great on ice . To pick the right gear and the Hemi will pull at idle ( 1100 rpm ) in 4th or 5th gear at a good speed for the condition's. It goes much better than our 300C that has the old Hemi , automatic and non pos rear end. The weight of the new Challenger is a plus in the snow and ice. I traded a 06 Miata 6 speed with pos in on the R/T. You couldn't even think about driving it . I also traded my 07 Ram Quad Cab 4x4 in on the R/T . I was worried a little about how the R/T would do . But I'm happy with it . I'm retired so if it is really bad I don't have to get out. But the R/T is my only daily driver . And I love it. Keeping it clean is the only problem I've had . You know how Black is. But I try. MPG a low of 17.5 with lot's of pedal to the metal. Average 20 or 21 . And best of 25.5 and 24.5 at 85 mph.
Old 02-12-2009, 03:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been daily driving my 6-speed R/T and its a great daily driver. 26 mpg open highway and 18-19 in town. I just keep pulling gears and keep it under 2000 rpm as much as possible. A lot of bumper to bumper in town and then the open country on the end of my ride home The R/T is perfect for a daily driver and the looks are almost embarrasing I can't stop and not talk to someone about how good a job Dodge did on this car. They love it.
Old 02-12-2009, 04:54 AM

Hi: I have a 1 month old 2009 Inferno Red Challenger R/T (see my post) and live in Maryland. I use it as a daily driver (ouch!) and have had NO problem with the small 1-3 inch snowfalls we have had this winter. Even did pretty good in the freezing rain we had last month. My gas mileage for the 1st 1000 miles is around 27 hwy and 17 city. If you can come up with the additional money, get the R/T If you get the SE, you will always wish you had the R/T when you see them on the road. Life is too short . Hope this helps.

Bob in Md.
Old 02-12-2009, 08:30 AM

I have been driving muscle cars since the 70,s. I never remember havin any trouble gettin around.But also,in those days,we used studded winter tires and chains on some vehicles when it got real bad.I would not worry about the weather cause we don,t seem to get the big snows that we used to then,and the road crews are out waaaaaaaaaaay more now than they ever were then.I think you should maybe consider the SE,cause you seem like you aren,t that must interested in h.p.,and if you were a true gear head,their would be no ? that you would want a v-8. Test drive a SE,and see what you think,it might just fulfill all your power requiring needs.It will be way better in the snow,and over the l/time of the car,you will have saved alot of money.The msrp,will be alot lower too.Their is a white SE,with the old style T/A stripes on it,at a local dealer,and it looks real cool.So,be sure to do what is really the best thing for you in the long run.Good luck.
Old 02-12-2009, 01:39 PM

ORIGINAL: ocity24

If you get the SE, you will always wish you had the R/T when you see them on the road.
Bob in Md.
Uhhhhh...no. Not at all. I'd rather have the extra $10K I didn't spend on an R/T.
Old 02-12-2009, 09:24 PM

If you just want the challenger looks, go for the SE. If you want some muscle too, get the R/T, if you drive consevative you will still get good MPG.
Old 02-13-2009, 01:56 AM

I have an R/T 6 speed manual and my current mileage is 3385. I drive in mostly city conditions with a longer trip here and there. I am using a program called Car Care (in my i phone) which tracks gas mileage among other things by inputing the information at each fill up. My fuel economy average is 15.2 between highway and city. I don't race my car but I can't say I drive it for economy either. I am 47 years old and have been driving muscle cars since I was 16.
I owned a 2007 Dodge Charger Police car with the 3.5 V6. It was actually an awesome ride but it had the five speed Mercedes built transmission that retail buyers of Challenger and Charger can't get with a V6. The gas mileage was virtually the same with my 3.5 V6 Charger. I had a retail Hemi Charger as well and the gas mileage in town was about 12.9. It got in the low 20's on the highway. I had the factory MPG computer on that car but I have read that the factory MPG computers have a varience and are not totally acurate. I guess the point of what I am tring to say is that I don't believe the fuel mileage difference between the V6 and 5.7 V8 is enough to be the reason to buy a V6 car vs a V8 car. Your personal taste and love of vehicles plus your budget should be your determining factors in making the choice to buy an SE or RT. If you are looking for great gas mileage I would not buy a Challenger. If you want the best looking car for the money on the road today with a choices in price and performance buy the Challenger. The pricing is great right now on all models except the SRT 8. The odd thing is that the SE should be the model that dealers have plenty of in inventory. The reality is that the SE is currently more scarce than the R/T and the SRT8. Each dealer will be different in their inventory and I am writing about the national Challenger inventory, but if Dodge was being run properly I would think that Dodge dealers would be loaded with SE Challengers in the way they stock Chargers and the V8 cars would be more scarce. Currently that is not the case. Right now the plant that builds the Challenger and all other LX body styles is closed. I would not try to order a car unless you are willing to wait a while.
Old 02-13-2009, 06:37 AM

[] You might have some latest news that I haven,t heard,[&:] but what I have been told,is that not only is the plant up and running,but they currently building the Classic pkg.cars I think you are thinking of the shut down they had some weeks ago.Also,ajc,not only will the SE,be alot more economical to run,you will save a mint on insurance,so price compare the two that way too.

Quick Reply: New member with some questions?