Notices
Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. Just about anything goes.

“What on Earth am I here for?”

Old 04-12-2008, 07:11 AM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default “What on Earth am I here for?”

True character is revealed not by what a man does when people are watching but by what he does when nobody is around.

Well it has been a year since the last Bible study, so I thought it was time to start another since I felt God leading me to do this one.

This Bible study will be based on the Purpose Driven Life by Rick Warren.

This will hopefully answer one of life’s most asked question and that is: “What on Earth am I here for?”

Hopefully by the end of this study you will know God’s purpose for your life.

We will take this study one week at a time and I will do the best I can to keep on track.

A Purpose Driven Life - Week #1 - A bible study on what on Earth am I here for?

“It’s not about you”.

The purpose of your life is far greater than your own personal fulfillment (yes, that even includes our indulgence in the Challenger…sorry about that), your peace of mind, or even your happiness. It’s far greater than your family, your career, or even your wildest dream and ambitions. If you want to know why you were placed on this planet, you must begin with God. You were born by His purpose and for His purpose.

Job 12:10 In his hand is the life of every creature and the breath of all mankind.

In the same way that you cannot arrive at your life’s purpose by starting with a focus on yourself, you cannot understand your life’s purpose by starting on a focus of yourself like so many self help books have suggested. You have to start with God, your Creator. You exist because God wills you to exist and you were made for God by God. Until you understand that basic fact, life will never make sense to you. In God, we can start to understand where we came from, who we are, our reason, and why we exist and where we are going.

You were made for God and not the other way around. You need to let God use you for His purposes.

Romans 8:5-9 Those who live according to the sinful nature have their minds set on what that nature desires; but those who live in accordance with the Spirit have their minds set on what the Spirit desires. 6The mind of sinful man is death, but the mind controlled by the Spirit is life and peace; 7 the sinful mind is hostile to God. It does not submit to God's law, nor can it do so. 8 Those controlled by the sinful nature cannot please God.
9You, however, are controlled not by the sinful nature but by the Spirit, if the Spirit of God lives in you. And if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he does not belong to Christ.

Many self-help books will suggest you look at your dreams, values, and goals. These suggestions can certainly lead to success. But being successful and fulfilling your life’s purpose are not at all the same. You can become a success by the world’s definition and still miss the purpose for which God created you. Self-help is not help at all. Self-Sacrifice is the way, God’s way, to finding yourself, your true self.

Matthew 16:25 For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me will find it.

This lesson is not about self-help but about doing less “things” in life (the stuff that does not matter) by focusing on what matters most. This is about focusing on what God created you to be.

Philosophers have speculated about this for thousand of years but did not have God in mind during their thinking. Instead of speculation, we need to turn to revelation in what God says in His Word.

[b]1 Corinthians 2:7 No, we speak of God's secret wisdom, a wisdom that has been hidden and that God destined for our glory before time began. 8None of the rulers of this age understood it, for if they had, they would not have crucified the Lord of glory. 9However, as it is written: "No eye has seen, no ear has heard, no mind has conceived what God has prepared for those who love him"—
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 04-12-2008, 11:02 AM
Banned

Default RE: “What on Earth am I here for?”

Your here to push your opinion and your religion down our throats,right?
Thats why your here why is it every time I run into a religious fanatics they are the most unhinged and nasty people out of church I have ever met.

You are here to stand on your own why would one think god needs to guide one in every step.
Then why live life ?

Dont sell me Im not buying!!!!!!
Old 04-12-2008, 11:10 AM

If you don't like it, or believe in it, then don't read it. Just move on.
Old 04-12-2008, 11:51 AM

Thanks Jeremiah for takeing the time to post that .You never know who it may help and be just what they are needing .Keep up the good work .
Old 04-12-2008, 01:17 PM
Banned

God bless you all.
Thump that bible.
Just imagine those where your own words,and not some books you choose to follow then youd have something.
Old 04-12-2008, 01:19 PM

I am interested in what you have planned. I am not a big rick warren fan, a little to new age for my taste, but I haven't really read any of his stuff so who knows.
Old 04-12-2008, 01:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice Jeremiah and thanks for the post. It might ruffle a few new feathers, but they have a chance to hear and read thats whats important
Old 04-12-2008, 02:05 PM
Banned

Isnt that why all the bible stuff is posted to ruffle feathers?

Old 04-12-2008, 03:44 PM

ORIGINAL: BILLBRASKY

Isnt that why all the bible stuff is posted to ruffle feathers?

You do understand the definition of "Off Topic" don't ya bubba? If you don't like it fine. Don't be a condescending arrogant twit... just move over and shut your trap. Have a good day bubba!
Old 04-12-2008, 05:23 PM

I understand what "off-topic" means, and I've said before that such religious postings have no place here, off-topic or not, no matter how well-intentioned they may be. I still say that if one insists on doing so then they should create their own sub-forum - that way they can post all the religion they want and no one can rightfully say BOO about it.

Without naming names (you know who you are), you have to remember that this isn't the little message board of only a select few people anymore where you can feel free to post anything you want (and if anyone doesn't like it, they can take a hike or not read it, yadda yadda...). The situation has changed, as this board has grown by leaps and bounds. The introduction of the Challenger is right around the corner, and THAT, among other few related items, are what people come to this board to see - I think I can speak for many of us when I say, with all-due respect, we don't give a damn about your religious views, no matter how important they may be to you (or how important you feel they are to someone else). You KNOW this, and to continue to do so disrespects many of our wishes (and I'm guessing you really couldn't care less... if we don't like it, don't read it, yadda yadda...). This board is NOT for your personal use to post whatever you want anymore. It belongs to US.

There, I've spoken my peace (again), I think my position is pretty self-explanatory - please don't PM me getting me to try and explain further. I will continue to frequent this great message board that has been created for us to celebrate the all-new Dodge Challenger, a bond we all gleefully share.

Thank you. That is ALL.

Quick Reply: “What on Earth am I here for?”