Notices
Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. Just about anything goes.

2006 Ford Mustang Giugiaro Concept

Old 12-01-2006, 08:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 Ford Mustang Giugiaro Concept

http://car-reviews.automobile.com/Fo...-concept/2212/

Hmmmm...Orange paint scheme with a black stripe up the hood. I can't place it but it reminds of something. What could it be???

A Real Italian Stallion

The Ford Mustang is one of the few affordable sports cars still on sale today. Its blend of performance and attractive, retro styling not only make it one of the most desirable American automobiles available, but it captures the spirit of the original. To keep the publics interest focused, Italian design house Italdesign has taken on a pony of their own for Fords display at the LA Auto Show. Replacing every single body panel and redesigning the interior, a brand new vehicle has been created off the current car, aptly named the Mustang Giugiaro Concept.

"When we saw the new Mustang, we knew two things: It was the best wed seen since the original, and we had to get our hands on one," said Fabrizio Giugiaro, styling director of Italdesign - Giugiaro S.P.A. "We still believe its important to show the automotive world pure exercises in style that interpret key models reflecting the history and image of important brands."

ItalDesign has long had a connection to American sports cars. In 2003, the design house created the Corvette Moray concept, which put an undeniably modern Italian twist on the Corvette, much the same as what was done on this new Mustang. This isnt the first time that Fords pony has been subjected to a reworking by Italians. Fabrizios father, Giorgetto Giugiaro, the head designer and founder of ItalDesign, penned a one-off version of the 1965 Mustang when he was at the Bertone styling house, prior to departing the firm to start up ItalDesign. The modern concept was overseen by Fabrizio, the current styling director of the firm.

The Mustang Concept is much different than the current production car, yet shares many similar elements. Its easy to pinpoint the Mustang Concept as being a Mustang, as it shares the main, basic points with the production car, such as the circular headlamps inset within angular housings, the trapezoidal grille with pony logo and fastback roofline with its triangular side rear window. Other similarities that create a design lineage between the Italian car and the production car include the bulged fender flares, prominent logo on the rear deck plus the triple vertical tail lamps, though their shape has been changed. Of course, there are some clever new additions, such as cameras, which replace the side view mirrors, the little peaks that form, flowing at the top edge of the rear fenders. They almost make the Mustang look like its got fins. The car also has odd, vertical-swinging doors, much like those featured on a Lamborghini Murcielago.

Putting the individual details aside and viewing the car as a whole, gives a very different perspective of the Italians viewpoint on this classic American nameplate. The first thing noticeable is that the shape of the carbon-fiber bodied car has evolved. Its not as drastic as other conversions, but the nose is visually softer, and more rounded than the production car. It also looks shorter. This is the biggest difference in profile, which gives the Mustang a tapered appearance, as opposed to the straight, almost rectangular-like footprint of the production car. The nose of the concept has been widened by 30 mm, while the tail is broader by 80 mm, to give it a more dynamic look.

From raised angles, the cars unique panoramic glass roof can be viewed. This is a true panoramic roof: the windshield, roof panel and rear screen are one single curved unit which allows for completely unobstructed views of the road, the sky and everything in between. The roof panel is treated to filter out 100-percent of all UVA rays and is tinted to reduce glare.
Looks may be a big part of this Mustangs appeal factor, but its whats underneath that will make the heart of true enthusiasts throb. Under t
Old 12-01-2006, 09:03 AM
Administrator

Default RE: 2006 Ford Mustang Giugiaro Concept

ive done a review of this one, but its not live yet...

ford has discussed a timeline for the mustang which includes a 2009 and 2012 redesign, so many thought that this may hint to some cues of the redesign...but i doubt it...its too european for the american market, with things like the all glass roof...its basically just an S197, blown, with a really elaborate body kit...which i dont much care for...
Old 12-01-2006, 09:46 AM

I don't like it. Doesn't look like a true american muscle car. To me anyways. I also read somewhere the seats are made out of real horse hide.
Old 12-01-2006, 06:10 PM
Super Moderator

That looks interesting. The funny thing is if you look at the mustang symbol on the grill just right, you might see the Ferrari symbol instead. I don't know why but when I looked at that, I could have sworn I saw the Ferrari symbol instead. I still prefer the normal Mustang though. A heritage muscle car should look like a heritage muscle car.

TechmanBD, are you saying that you wouldn't like to have italian leather in a mustang? I don't care where it comes from I would take it in a split second. That stuff is nice!

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 12-01-2006, 08:34 PM

Nope. I don't like leather seats in any car.
Old 12-01-2006, 11:41 PM
Administrator

hmm..thats interesting..amanda also doesnt like leather...

my stratus has leather, my lebaron had leather, my ramcharger has leather. the demon HAD leather, but it has race buckets now. amanda doesnt like them because they get too hot for her legs in the summer, but i prefer them...i think that it adds a touch of class to the car, even a low-class car like my RT...
Old 12-02-2006, 02:00 AM
Super Moderator

I love leather interior. I wish my Intrepid had leather. Granted it can get hot during the summer, but they are offering cooling systems for the seats on some cars so that eliminates that problem.

It also depends on the quality of the leather. I'm not the biggest fan of GM's leather in some models. The leather that was in my friends 98 Grand Prix compared to the vinyl in my grandfather's 1985 F150, except the vynal was at least softer than that stuff. Also the leather in a 1997 Buick LeSabre also seems more like rubber or plastic than leather. The more recent leather from GM has improved. Mercedes on the other hand has gone downhill big time. They have very grainy leather on some models.

Chrysler products normally have very nice leather no matter what model it is. One thing I have noticed is that at autoshows, it seems as though some leather used in GM and Ford models seem to develop cracks very quickly. In contrast, the Chrysler models seem to hold up very well.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 12-04-2006, 11:04 AM

ORIGINAL: 1 Bad Mirada

hmm..thats interesting..amanda also doesnt like leather...

my stratus has leather, my lebaron had leather, my ramcharger has leather. the demon HAD leather, but it has race buckets now. amanda doesnt like them because they get too hot for her legs in the summer, but i prefer them...i think that it adds a touch of class to the car, even a low-class car like my RT...
That is definatley one of the big reasons I don't like the leather. We get shorts wearing weather more months out of the year than cold.
Old 12-04-2006, 11:11 AM
Administrator

*sings*

"who wears shorts short...?"

"techman wears shorts shorts"

Old 12-04-2006, 11:16 AM

ORIGINAL: 1 Bad Mirada

*sings*

"who wears shorts short...?"

"techman wears shorts shorts"

HAHA. Very funny, funny guy.

And remember when I said it was a record breaking 119F out here. Damn, leather would be like coals in a BBQ.

Quick Reply: 2006 Ford Mustang Giugiaro Concept