Notices
Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. Just about anything goes.

Another Mustang - OMG

Old 06-13-2007, 11:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Another Mustang - OMG

I think it is a mistake to compare the Challenger to the Aussie import badged a GTO. It was doomed from the start. The Challenger will be a success no doubt. Perhaps it will not sell the numbers of the Ford Mustang but it was never meant for the same market. Not in the 1970's and not today. There were limited numbers of the V6 and V8's with the old school car as there will be with the new ones. The Challenger is the rebirth of an American Muscle Car. Not a rebadged import or a four door family car badged a Charger (muscle car).

I'll wait, it will come and I will buy one. 20 years from now when the daughter takes it out of the box it will still make eyes pop and lips drop just like the 1970's version still does today.
Old 06-13-2007, 11:48 AM

The reference was to "OLD" model named cars coming back in to production. The GTO was to be the rebirth of the muscle car. It died before it could get off the ground. The uncertainty of the Challenger in sales is what I was referencing the 2 cars at. Clearly with the GTO based on the Holden Platform with the GTO (a Monaro with the GTO badge) GM took the styling to the extreme while using the GTO badge and name..... and it never appealed. The Challenger with the retro look should appeal but the uncertainty of sales is there as well. I personally expect it to do well, but there are issues with gas etc that could prove otherwise, time will tell.
Old 06-13-2007, 06:34 PM

OK, here is my 2cents worth..again. The new mustang came out in 2005 ? and they had a proven platform to expand from and build the Shelbys on.
I think the Challenger has more and bigger bugs than an Alaskan swamp in the summer time! and they just don't know what way to turn to sort it all out ! I wouldn't buy a Challenger the first couple years !
Remember the Yougo !
The only new news on this Dodge Challenger site is the Ford Mustang news and Shelby Mustang K & N adds.
I think I'm ready to go with a low milage 2004 Corvette Z06 as it's the best bang for the buck and give up my number one money down spot at the Dodge dealership.
Old 06-14-2007, 03:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

6 pack remember Job from the Bible. You must have patience like he had. Vettes are like noses, everyone has got one. But the Challenger will be very different. The Vette is a good bargain, I won't lie to you there. But we really just need to stay with the facts that we have and try not to invent reasons that don't exist. I wish you could drive my 71 Challenger around for a day. You would not believe the way people act around you. I think its the perception and legend of this rare car. I mean its a car any of us could of bought, but you just don't see them. And when you do, you look and stare. I think everyone wants to say "does that thing have a hemi in it". Makes us normal average guys get a little bit of unwanted attention. I think the new Challenger will be the same way.
Old 06-14-2007, 04:20 AM

Lear, I'd love to drive your 71' around for an hour or so... It's been 30 years since I have driven in a Challenger.

People flock to look at rarely seen cars on the road.

I show my GTO at car shows. This is the 3rd summer of doing so and so far at all the shows I am the only one with a new GTO there. People flock to look at it because you just don't see that many on the road. I have had many people tell me they didn't like them, then they look up close and on occasion I will let people sit in it and they walk away impressed.

I see Challengers at shows too and there is always groups of people at them. I seek out Challengers and talk with the owners of them. I remember them being a dime a dozen. Now....
Old 06-14-2007, 04:42 AM

ORIGINAL: 6 pack

I think the Challenger has more and bigger bugs than an Alaskan swamp in the summer time!
How can they have bugs in them when the car hasn't been produced yet?

All cars have bugs in them some are just worse than others.

I have read where people have done the dealer buy back thing with the GTO. Some have had more problems than you can shake a stick at. Some have had NO problems at all.

The most common problems of that car is...
a. Rear end whine. Dana produced a bunch of bad rears. I had one. The rears were replaced.
b. Strut Rub. Poor design.. Those with 17" tires have complained about front strut rub. The clearance from the tire to the strut is less than 1/4". Not all have had this problem, I have not. This is a poor design.
C. Strut Failure on 2006's. The third year of production. Monroe Struts failing.

So even after a few years there can still be bugs.

I purchased once a new 1985 Monte Carlo. This thing had everything go wrong with it. Finally after 4 years I had to get rid of it. I added up all the defects while under warranty and money I put in it and it totaled well over 3K. When I traded it It needed an 800.00 oil fix problem, head liner replaced, and constantly leaking anti freeze. This new car was not on a new platform.

Before I get a Challenger and I see there are problems I will hold off until I see they have been corrected. If the price is out of line I will hold off too. I am not assuming there will be problems with this car.