Notices
Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. Just about anything goes.

Bacon Grease in Your Hemi??

Old 12-02-2008, 03:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bacon Grease in Your Hemi??

A Connecticut startup company, Green Earth Technology, expects to deliver a motor oil this month that is made from animal fat. The company claims that it is chemically identical to crude oil. A quart of this new oil is expected to sell for $5.99-$6.99. Although it already sells GET's small engine oil (2 & 4 cycle) in retail stores like Home Depot, it is waiting for final marketing approval for the automotive product from the American Petroleum Institute.

While I like the idea of becoming less dependent on foreign crude oil, I will have to see extensive wear tests before I put this stuff (if ever) in my Hemi.

Old 12-02-2008, 04:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Bacon Grease in Your Hemi??

Hummmmmmmm, no Pork in my Elephant.
Old 12-02-2008, 05:27 AM

ORIGINAL: Paladin06

...what he said
Old 12-02-2008, 08:38 AM

I can't wait till other people start to push this stuff... There's already so many conversion kits now for diesel...
Old 12-02-2008, 06:10 PM

ORIGINAL: Yankee

ORIGINAL: Paladin06

...what he said

I Third that....sounds like it belongs in a Harley Davidson, not a Hemi.........................
Old 12-03-2008, 02:00 AM

OK. I gotta ask. Does anyone know what's in synthetic oil, like Royal Purple or Mobil 1? I use Royal Purple, but everything said and done, I have no idea what's in it. Maybe it's pressed elephants.
Old 12-03-2008, 07:06 AM
Super Moderator

I cannot imagine that this will be embraced by the environmentalist/PETA community. If they throw a fit about Ben & Jerry's using cow's milk (what a tragedy, a cow is relieved of its milk and is still alive after the fact), I can't image they would be happy with the use of grease from a hog. If it works and people want to spend extra money on it, good for them, but I'm sticking to traditional oil.

MrKrisSullivan, I believe they are referring to oil as in the stuff you pour in and replace at intervals, not another biodiesel option. Plus who would want to pay $24-28 dollars a gallon?

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 12-03-2008, 07:36 AM

^ see this is why I read this site before the news paper in the morning.... all the humer and no paper ink on my hands......

I have seen that the oil is a better lubricant, and can withstand high heat, but still not enough to make me a beleiver. When John Force runs it in his cars I'll swap over
Old 12-03-2008, 09:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: RoswellGrey

OK. I gotta ask. Does anyone know what's in synthetic oil, like Royal Purple or Mobil 1? I use Royal Purple, but everything said and done, I have no idea what's in it. Maybe it's pressed elephants.
Mobil 1 uses high-performance fluids, including polyalphaolefins (PAOs), along with a proprietary system of additives. Each Mobil 1 and Mobil 1 Extended Performance viscosity grade use a unique combination of synthetic fluids and selected additives in order to tailor the viscosity grade to its specific application.

Royal Purple has a special additive to give it its unique purple color. After you run it or a while, it looks like any other oil.

Conventional motor oil, however, is made up of an inconsistent mixture of long and short chains of carbon and hydrogen atoms. In the extreme heat of an engine, short-chain molecules can evaporate, and unstable molecules can oxidize and break down. Conventional oils also contain much greater amounts of impurities, such as sulfur, reactive and unstable hydrocarbons, and other undesirable contaminants that cannot be completely removed by conventional refining of crude oil.
Old 12-03-2008, 02:11 PM

Thank you, Cuda.

Quick Reply: Bacon Grease in Your Hemi??