Notices
Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. Just about anything goes.

Cali residents....a question for you

Old 08-21-2006, 02:50 PM
Administrator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cali residents....a question for you

I know that for you cali guys to put a cold air intake on your car, it has to meet some legal mesuare..."CARB" or something? What actually makes these intakes legal, as compared to illegal models??
Old 08-21-2006, 04:07 PM

Default RE: Cali residents....a question for you

I really don't know what the difference is. I went to the sponsor sit, K&N and didn't get a real answer.

From what I read, it is all about money FOR the gov't. They have to have the products sent to be tested by some group and then get that product certified. Probably something to do with the sensors and computer to adjust itself. Wehere the sensors are placed and sometghing like that. I will try and do some research and see what I can come up with

Oh and just found this. C.A.R.B stands for California Air Resources Board. Another State Gov't agency to take our money and make laws to opress fun.
Old 08-21-2006, 04:39 PM
Administrator

i was riding around, thinking about that today while in traffic...i saw a video a while back where some kid in a built import was being hassled because he didnt have his carb sticker...

the reason that im asking, is that my el cheapo intake is physically identical to the 300+ dollar units sold by AEM...i know that AEM will powder coat, etc...but as for the shape and location of things like the MAFS and PCV, they are the same...
Old 08-21-2006, 04:46 PM

Do you have to be CARB certified in PA or MI? The reason why most of the states use CARB certs is because CA is the most strict on emmissions. SO it is easier for other states just to adopt the CA plan. So your CAI was probably cheaper but not CARB certified. That is probably where the extra bones that you have to pay AEM, they probably have to spend alot to get that certification.

Old 08-21-2006, 05:39 PM
Administrator

Cali is the only state that im aware of that has the CARB stuff...michigan doesnt even have emissions testing..i only own one vehicle with a cat...

pennsylvania was strict, but they dont watch over modifications, so long as you pass the smog tests. however, in PA, you cannot have engine swaps on 79 and newer vehicles...at least not on OBDII vehicles...if you have OBDI, and can make the new engine appear to be the same as the stock engine, and have the same emissions outputs, you can trick the computer testing machine, but for the OBDII models, the computer communicates with the ECU/PCM, and if its not a matching ECU/PCM to the vin, it fails you. so unless you can make the new engine have the EXACT same outputs, and use the same vin ECU/PCM, you fai

im sure that my CAI isnt CARB, but i dont see why, other than the fact that it didnt come with a sticker...someone should go into the business of selling those stickers...
Old 08-29-2006, 04:02 PM

When I lived in VA, they were adopting the same strict smog tests CA has.
Old 08-29-2006, 06:59 PM
Administrator

depending on what part of PA people live in, there is varying levels of strict emissions. i used to be a tester, so i know ways to get around things...which doesnt help me now, but with the OBDII cars it is much harder to get around.

in eastern PA, such as in philly, they do the tailpipe test on a dyno, and its VERY expensive...places are allowed by law to charge up to 200 dollars per test...i only charged 70 when i did it
Old 08-30-2006, 11:27 AM

Damn, a dyno test? They do a tail pipe test here but not on a dyno. And you thought we were bad. . I think what is bad is that people are forced to have the emissions test by the Gov't, but they don't regulate the prices, so the car owner gets f'd in the arse.
Old 08-30-2006, 12:25 PM
Administrator

the PA state gov't only allows prices as high as 200...and some places do charge that much...

i think that my dad charges 100ish for state safety and emission
Old 08-30-2006, 12:33 PM

See CA doesn't have the safety check, just emissions. VA had it. In some ways it would be nice to have the safety check because all the sh%$ cars that are f'd up causing major traffic jams on the freeway because of blown tires, or other things that can be checked that cause cars to break down. When I was in VA, I hardly saw a car on thge side of teh road. Here, it is normal to see one.