Notices
Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. Just about anything goes.

College kids are spending billions of dollars to customize their cars

Old 08-18-2006, 10:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default College kids are spending billions of dollars to customize their cars

The story is long that is why I just left the link. Forget the books for learning.(Sarcastic)

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14325065/site/newsweek/

California Polytechnic engineering student Erick Li spent $4,000 customizing his black Scion tC by lowering it, beefing up the suspension and adding red "underglow" interior lights and high-intensity headlights for carving turns in the California hills. "A lot of cars can outpower me," he says, "but I can outmaneuver them."
This must be one of them DI%$ I see going in and out of traffic, practically causing accidents, thinking he is Joe racer and "Beating" someone like myself who isn't even trying because I regard safety first.
Old 08-18-2006, 12:34 PM
Administrator

Default RE: College kids are spending billions of dollars to customize their cars

"blah blah blah in the curves" is one of the worlds biggest ricer comments...
Old 08-18-2006, 01:09 PM

Default RE: College kids are spending billions of dollars to customize their cars

I can put 4000 into my suspension and make it a great meuneuvering car, and have the power to boot as well.

I always find this funny. We will take my mustang for example, since I relate to it anyways. The numbers I will use are what teh specs say, I know not the real numbers it puts down on a dyno. My car has 300 HP's stock. Some kid has a civic, that is what most ricers seem to have, and are rated around 120 hp's. They act all cool and talk so much crap and then they get beat. They make some excuse.

Ok now you get this person, who puts 10g's into their car, and matches HP per pound to my STOCK mustang, and brags when he can beat it. OOOOhhh, you are cool, you just put 10gs into it to get up to beat me. Let me see, If I were to drop that much into my car, hmm, what do you think the outcome will be?

I am all for cusomizing and doing what you like. But for these "ricer" guys who talk so much crap after spending that much to get it to run as fast as something like my STOCK mustang, makes me chuckle.
Old 08-18-2006, 03:01 PM

That made me think of this guy with a new GTO that wanted to race my Challenger.
I ask him how much he paid for his car. His reply was "about $36,000" so I told him I need
to spend another $28,000 so we would be even. He was not amused because he knew it was a
close match as it was. I also told him I would like to see his car after about 30 some years.
He got pissed off and droped the idea.

If I were to put just $4000 into my car (71 Challenger 383/auto) I could blow these kids away like dust bunnies
in a wind storm.

Dave
Old 08-18-2006, 04:02 PM
Administrator

i am by no means anti-import...and i see alot of these mouthy ricers, but for the most part, REAL import enthusiasts, with real tuned import cars can generally back it up...but the mouthy idiots who spend a ton of money on things like body kits, stereo stuff, rims, etc...and then throw a set of hawk brake pads and ebay springs, and go on and on about "how they are built to handle"...or "im focusing on handling. i am proud to say that my civic forum is packed full of great members, who are proud of their cars, but they are not trash talkers..and when we do have the stray ricer walk in and run his mouth, he typically doesnt last very long.

yes, if you can get the car going 150mph, on the long straight on "the ring", that body kit may make a difference...and it might be a positive difference...

a friend of mine in high school had a early to mid 90s maxima, 3.0L auto..and it was fairly quick...i think that they are around 220hp stock, and his was stock...it would probably beat my stratus...but at the time, he wanted a shot at the mirada...he said "if we raced anywhere with turns, youd be done for, and if there were more turns than straight-a-ways, i would beat you. So, we left his work late one night, around 1am. we pulled out from his work, and stopped at a red light. it was about 10 miles to our house...starting with about a mile and a half of straight, empty, 4 lane road. by the time that we got to the first turn, i couldnt see his headlights anymore. the last 7 or so miles are all very windy roads...and with me shifting the manual valve body, i likely didnt get into third gear the rest of the way home...

i got home, pulled the car into the garage, got changed, and walked a few doors up to his house with a six pack, and was waiting on his porch when he pulled into the driveway...

the advantage of many imports is that they are smaller and lighter, so it takes alot less power to go just as fast...however, if the other car is faster, than fess up to it...i dont like people who talk trash, then add conditions...

the only reasonable head to head car test is the drag strip...road courses require safety items, and have a much better chance for damaging the cars...and people who are always trying to show that their cars handle great are typically the ones who get cut out of the car in pieces.

but then again, ive never turned down a race in the mirada...ill run a ten second car...just on the "any given sunday" theory...
Old 08-18-2006, 10:42 PM
Super Moderator

You guys keep telling them.

Most of the import cars I have seen on the road are poor excuses for upgrades using inferior parts and
their craftsmanship is horrible.

I would much rather not work on a car if I couldnt make it look good. Most of the guys are big braggers
but their craftsmanship is nothing to brag about.
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 08-29-2006, 06:13 PM
Super Moderator

My generation is full of morons, I'll tell you. The campus I am at doesn't have too many ricers due to the fact that it is in a rural area but the campus close to my hometown was full of junk. Tons of poorly done body cladding, exhaust systems which made the engines sound like angry weed eaters, rims that could be mistaken as dinner plates, lights, more i-Vtech stickers than paint exposed. They look like The Fast and the Furious wannebees. Each time they tell you how you won't stand a change against them in front of their girl friends. So you go to the stop light and blow them away when the light turns green and remind them "there is no replacement for displacement." There seems to be this trend that people more and more seem to value and admire people who are jerks, don't ask me why.

I'll never forget the people I had to teach a lesson in high school. A fool with a '93 Grand Am 2.3L 8 valve kept nicknaming my car "Decrepid" and told me how his Grand Am would blow me away. So I agreed to race him. That was the easiest victory I have ever won in my life. A car that takes 11.3 secs to reach 60 isn't going to have a pray to keep up with a car that can reach 60 in 8.6 secs. It is simple math.

Here is some food for thought. Why even spend all that money on fixing up the car in the first place? All that is going to happen is it will get dented, keyed, scratch, hit, etc. in the college parking lots. Just plain stupid.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 08-29-2006, 11:39 PM
Super Moderator

My guess it is a fascination with a ricer car that give them the look they want for a cheap price.

What do you think?
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 08-30-2006, 10:29 AM
Super Moderator

Well some of this stuff isn't cheap. Those tacky rims full of chrome cost quite a bit from what I understand. I forgot to mention that the stereo systems they put in there are so loud that they will cause an ear ache, that isn't cheap either.

Some of this body work can be expensive, but the i-Vtech sickers are the cheapest "upgrade" why just one of those stickers increases your horsepower by 10 hp, so one person had 10 so they successfully improved their hp by 100. While I'm thinking about it, maybe I should add some i-Vtech stickers to my car, no wait I have a better idea, I'll add HEMI stickers because we all know how much those stickers add (30 hp, maybe 40 hp).

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 08-30-2006, 10:36 AM

ORIGINAL: Jeremiah 29:11

My guess it is a fascination with a ricer car that give them the look they want for a cheap price.

What do you think?

Yes and no. There is cheap stuff out there, that I am sure most college kids would get. And there is expensive stuff, which a college kid may get, but that is when you see the nice mod on a car with 3 tones because can't afford the paint job. [X(]

Quick Reply: College kids are spending billions of dollars to customize their cars