Notices
Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. Just about anything goes.

Car Shows to be or not to be

Old 04-22-2009, 05:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Car Shows to be or not to be

Does anyone plan on taking their Challenger to any any car shows. I am not sure we would be very welcome. It would have to be an open show I'm sure. I was pissed once when I entered my car into a smaller show and there was a brand new truck of some sorts in it. I remember remarking "well that takes alot of work to buy a brand new vehicle and take it straight to the show". Didn't think it was fair. BUT--given the attention level we get, they may be a winner!! What does everyone else think or plan to do?
Old 04-22-2009, 06:47 PM

Smile

I have to admit that until I purchased my 2008 Challenger SRT8, I felt the same...big deal...anyone can "buy" a new show car. But, that all changed when within a month of purchasing my Challenger I enter an All Mopar show and won my class (stock Hemi, 2003-present)...I was hooked! I have since enter "open" car shows that had all makes and models and my new Challenger has always been well received. It's a lot of fun to talk with car people, and the new Challenger always attracts a large amount of attention.

Be sure and have some type of "information board" (or at the very least a copy of the window sticker on the dash) for people to read, and learn more about your car. In many shows, it's how your car is presented that can make the difference between winning and losing. Just don't go overboard with the displays, as this could draw their attention away from the car itself. (Forget the angel hair displays from the 50s and 60s!) And, bring cleaning materials to the show to keep your car looking good (and yourself busy). Along with cleaning materials, don't forget a chair and some refreshments for yourself, as most shows will last the better part of a day (and you have to stay until the end if you intend to pick up your trophy). These are just a few ideas, I am sure others could give you more, but the important thing is to "just get out there and do it"...it's a lot of fun and you will be surprised at the number of new friends you will make, perhaps even a few Mustang owners....
(Got to go...getting ready for a weekend show...)
Old 04-23-2009, 02:49 AM

I drove my 70 and my wife drove our[her] 09 to a cruise in last Saturday. There were about 200 cars. We parked next to each other and the 09 got a lot more attention than the 70. So yes definately go to car shows they are fun and as we all know, a lot of people are interested in seeing the new Challenger.
Old 04-23-2009, 03:33 AM

I have been to many shows with the 77 Grand Prix I had, and they do last a while. I was just wondering how everyone thought we would be recieved with the Challenger.
Old 04-23-2009, 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by Dads R/T
I have been to many shows with the 77 Grand Prix I had, and they do last a while. I was just wondering how everyone thought we would be recieved with the Challenger.
Believe me....you will not be lonely. I have attended weekend show and shine shows where I have had to stay longer than I wanted to because of the number of people hanging around my Challenger and asking questions...you will be surprised at how well your new Challenger will be recieved.
I still feel that Chrysler should pay us owners a fee because WE are the ones selling the new Challenger to the public. (Can't remember the last time I even saw a commercial on TV with the New Challenger)
Old 04-23-2009, 10:16 AM
Administrator

Ive had several cars to show in my days (the mirada..the demon). Im not a "new guy at the car show" person, and I think that people with new cars should remove them from very full show for the sake of showing off older cars. However, if the show has a class that caters to new cars, then the new cars should most certainly be involved. However, i dont "get" showing a car that is completely, 100% stock. Ive shown my stratus at shows that had a newer cars class, and while my stratus doesnt have much done to it, i do have some mods that no other stratus coupe has, as they are custom. if my stratus was bone stock, i wouldnt show it off...i think that the biggest offenders in this group are mustang owners. there is no reason for a stock V6 automatic mustang that doesnt even have aftermarket floormats to be in a car show..if i want to see that, ill go to a dealership and look at one. then again, the challengers arent dime a dozen cars...they still turn my head.
Old 04-23-2009, 11:59 AM

Smile

I have to agree, if I had a totally stock vehicle I perhaps wouldn't be quite so into the whole weekend car show thing, and most everyone I see at the local shows has updated and or changed the looks of their cars in one way or another. BUT, having said that, I have no problem at all with totally stock vehicles attending the same shows, in fact at times it's nice to have a "stock" vehicle nearby to help show off what mods you have done to your car. I say welcome...just don't expect to win a whole lot of trophies with a stock vehicle (but then).....In fact at the last show and shine car show I attended there were several stock vehicles around me...a Ford GT and a Viper to name but two...and they were totally stock and the crowd didn't seem to mind one bit.....
Old 04-23-2009, 02:47 PM
Administrator

i agree..and i think that at this point in their history, a new challenger would get people walking up and looking at it, as some people still dont see many of them. another point, is that if you live in a small town, i think that stock cars are fine. for instance, there are probably 100 challengers in the few miles i travel a day...and if they all came to a car show, it would be ridiculous, but in a very small town where youre far enough from a major city to draw any real traffic, i can certainly see a challenger being something to see.

in the area where i live now, i wont even take my stratus to a show, but i live very near detroit, and my car is really nothing special...but i had a challenger, i think that i would take it to the weekday cruise nights...i dont, however, think that i would pay to get it into a show. i dont "get" paying to show the cars..i dont do it with any of them.
Old 04-23-2009, 08:41 PM

^
Welcome to Idaho Falls area car shows.
I have seen one '73 340-6 sublime Challenger at a show.
I have only seen 3 08-9 Challengers Red SE, Black R/T, Orange SRT8
I have had the honor and privilage to ride shotgun in the Orange SRT8 and i am know good friends with the owner.(who is 18)
And he said with consent of both our parents, I could drive the Challenger. I need to call him on a good day now.