Notices
Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. Just about anything goes.

Ford shows new Bullitt Mustang

Old 11-06-2007, 02:29 PM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ford shows new Bullitt Mustang

Maybe they could mimic the original Hemi sound in the Challenger?

Ford shows new Bullitt Mustang
Special edition sports car commemorates famous 1968 movie chase scene.

By Peter Valdes-Dapena, CNNMoney.com staff writer
November 6 2007: 6:12 PM EST

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- Ford Motor Company will unveil a new special edition Mustang, designed to commemorate the 1968 Steve McQueen movie 'Bullitt,' at next week's Los Angeles Auto Show.

In that movie, in which McQueen played police detective Frank Bullitt, he drove a dark green 1968 Mustang through narrow, hilly San Francisco streets in a now-classic chase scene.

The current generation of Mustangs was introduced for the 2005 model year. Its lines are based, in large part, on the 1967 and 1968 Mustang.

This new version will be a 2008, marking 40 years since the movie and the Mustang that the modern version largely emulates.

The new new special edition will be available in Dark Highland Green, similar to the color used on the original movie version. The only other color available on this version will be black. (Dark Highland Green is not used for any other Mustang version and, Ford (Charts, Fortune 500) promises, it never will be.)

The 2008 Mustang Bullitt will be powered by a 4.6-liter V8 engine tuned to deliver 315 horsepower, 15 hp more than the regular V8 Mustang. It will also have suspension, chassis and brake upgrades for improved handling.

"Like the original Bullitt, this car dials the driving dynamics up a notch for Mustang enthusiasts who love the performance, handling and sweet sound of Ford power that only Mustang can deliver," said Derrick Kuzak, Ford's vice president for global product development, in a statement.

Engineers modeled the car's exhaust note on the engine sound heard in the original movie, based on a specially mastered DVD, Ford said.

To mimic the car used in the movie, the Mustang Bullitt lacks most exterior chrome badges, including the pony on the grill, as well as the rear spoiler that's standard on other Mustangs.

The car will carry a sticker price of $31,075. Ford plans to produce a total of 7,700. Production will begin in early 2008, Ford said.

This is the second time Ford has produced a "Bullitt" Mustang. The first was produced for the 2001 model year. The cars were available in Dark Highland Green, blue and black and a total 5,582 were sold, according to "Mustang Special Editions," by Brad Bowling and Jerry Heasley.

For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 11-06-2007, 03:48 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Ford shows new Bullitt Mustang

I think we talked about this one awhile ago. $31K is quite frankly a rip off for the minor changes from the ordinary GT. One thing that's starting to bug me, why doesn't Ford simply offer one model with the NA 5.4L V8 called either the Mach 1 or Boss? That would be interesting for a change instead of having four different models featuring the exact same engine, just offering a different exhaust system and cold air intake.

While we are at it with making overpriced, novelty versions how about we make a special edition of the 4.0L model called the LX in memory of the 80s Mustang which offers a cold air intake with a 4.0L decal on the side, and how about we make a Mustang II version in memory of the ever so popular rebadged Pinto and offer with that an exhaust system which sounds just like the 2.3L version of that memoriable model as well as reposition the fuel tank so then it will explode if someone crashes into the rear of the car to bring back those pleasant memories of that model we just can't forget no matter how hard we try.

By having these, we can have a full memory of the Mustang during its years of glory and failure in one lovable car line, instead of investing in worthwhile and logical models to reach customers who don't want a GT500 because of the price or insurance premiums and aren't satisfied by the GT, or even less importantly investing instead in the Fusion, Focus, Taurus, and other models that are currently failing due to lack of effort on Ford's part which might lead to the company succeeding or failing. No, Ford should completely put up a welcome mat for Toyota and Honda to completely take what remains of those markets since we all know that one single car can completely keep a whole internation corporation afloat.

Okay my sarcastic [sm=rant.gif] is off.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 11-06-2007, 03:57 PM
Super Moderator

Since I have an interest in acoustics, in home theater environments and I have ran sound on Allen Heath mixer boards for contemporary bands, the acoustic engineering
involved to make it sound like an older car is pretty cool.

That was the main reason I posted that article.
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 11-06-2007, 04:57 PM
Super Moderator

Okay, I looked over the article a second time and now I understand the purpose of the bolded section. Hope my response didn't offend you, I was attempting to be humorous (something I do better in person than through a keyboard).

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first to 2000 posts

Old 11-06-2007, 07:15 PM
Super Moderator

No offsense taken. I assumed you were being your analytical self.

Cool technology thougth......I wonder if they could make it sound like a Harley Davidson?
Old 11-07-2007, 07:37 AM

31K is actually not a bad price for this at all. In the scheme of things. The Premium GT is close to that amount. Plus you get more on this as far as performance. 3:73 gears, CAI, better suspension and a few other mods, and will be warrantied.

And it comes in green. Fastest color.

If this had come out when I bought mine, I would have got this one.
Old 11-07-2007, 10:27 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: TechmanBD

31K is actually not a bad price for this at all. In the scheme of things. The Premium GT is close to that amount. Plus you get more on this as far as performance. 3:73 gears, CAI, better suspension and a few other mods, and will be warrantied.

And it comes in green. Fastest color.

If this had come out when I bought mine, I would have got this one.
I guess it depends on what area you are located in. In the St. Louis area, a Premium GT costs only $27K standard (granted I know it could easily reach this price level as Jeremiah mentioned that his son paid around $32K for his), which is pretty well loaded. I guess it isn't so bad as I originally thought, but I still think that it is a waste of resources when they have already to a degree offered pretty much the same upgrades twice now with the Shelby GT and the Hertz GT-H versions.

I think it would be wiser to offer either a Boss or Mach 1 to reach an audience that wants more than a 15-20hp upgrade via an exhaust and air intake means. The movie fan model in my opinion holds less significance and name recognition than the Boss and the Mach 1 names do.

I guess I also feel skeptical about the whole Bullit GT after seeing the last generation's Bullit GT being questionably better than the normal GT. Some of the track stats appear to hint to the fact that the previous Bullit GT might have been slower than the normal GT which means it would be $5K out of you pocket for nothing other than a name.

Also something I just thought about Jeremiah, Hemis seem to sound alike no matter what generation or engine design is used (straight or V). I was looking up videos on the Australian Valiant Charger and it showed a person driving a 265 six-pack Hemi I6 and at higher rpms, it had the unique Hemi note.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first to 2000 posts

Old 11-09-2007, 01:12 AM

Default 2008 Ford Mustang Bullitt - Lots of Pics

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2008-...ullitt/476433/
Old 11-09-2007, 08:06 AM

Default RE: 2008 Ford Mustang Bullitt - Lots of Pics

It looks nice, but believe it or not...I'd still prefer a new Challenger!
Old 11-09-2007, 08:11 AM

Default RE: 2008 Ford Mustang Bullitt - Lots of Pics

to me it looks like V6!

and spoiler delete? I have it deleted for half year so I guess I own pre-production Bullit

nice touch only with CAI and DVD/Nav central console. Is movie included in price?

Quick Reply: Ford shows new Bullitt Mustang