Notices
Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. Just about anything goes.

Cars that over achieve

Old 05-16-2008, 04:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cars that over achieve

I have read many a race on different forums on the internet. In that, I have read where a car that should not of out run another has done just that. And it made me think of reasons why. The most obvious reason being the person behind the wheel and the one most given when someone cries foul. But a more given reason that I have thought is the type of gas that folks put in their tanks. Most new cars can run on any grade and that may be the reason you see a car of lesser hp out run a car that is more powerful. I use the highest octain in all my cars... with that said I have no choice. The turbo cars need it for obvious reasons and my 2 muscle cars have a compression ratio greater than 10:1. So you have so many folks who swear one car cannot out perform another no matter whos driving. But if one is using 93 and the other 87 then the timing is backed off on the 87 and performance suffers. It my be just the edge that the lower hp car needs to out perform the other. Also on my Stealth I take it all the way to red line 7000 rpm even if some loss of power is experieced, because it puts me in the right power band on the next shift. You have to learn your car and find out where its maximum power is made. What rpm range works for that car. So before you are one of those people who calls a guy out on a race that looks improbable, things happen and prep can mean alot. With fuel prices hitting $4.00 a gal. many will go the 87 route and when they are in a muscle, sports or touring sedan they do not posess the hp the car is quoted as having. So be careful to throw the bs flag, we all know what should happen... that does not always hold true
Old 05-17-2008, 09:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Cars that over achieve

yeah I agree with you lear... One thing I don't like when I look at times for cars is the manual... Just because their is so much of a difference you really can't get a good idea how fast they are when your comparing... I like to compare automatics to automatics...it's so much more accurate that way, to me at least. Just a thought.
Old 05-19-2008, 03:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes indeed. Thats what most folks who know cars will test. But a lot of the press guys are not true car guys so their test are on cars they consider to be a match by the looks and the engine. Forgetting other factors.
Old 05-19-2008, 07:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with lear, they overlook some of the key factors.