Notices
Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. Just about anything goes.

Challengers in NASCAR

Old 10-28-2008, 10:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Challengers in NASCAR

The following story was in the December 2008 Issue of Hemmings Muscle Machines:

NASCAR Challenger?
Mopar brings its coupe pony car in the Nationwide series

"In an effort to differentiate the Nationwide (formerly Busch Cup) racing series form the Nextel Cup big boys, NASCAR has asked its participating manufacturers to develop new bodies for the 2010 year, leaning toward sporty coupe models. That means that Mustang shaped, Challenger shaped and Camaro shaped machines will be duking it out on the high banks and road courses of the NASCAR circuit.
Testing began this past month, and while Toyota is stuck with its Camry coupe model, the Detroit Three have been encouraged to shape their new Car of Tomorrow chassis’ed machines like the pony cars that are enjoying their current renaissance.
Early prototypes saw new noses grafted onto older bodies – the Dodge they tested has a Challenger-esque nose grafted onto a current Charger body. This is expected to change over time as the various teams get up to speed with their machines. The 2010 Nationwide cars will run on a 110-inch wheelbase, same as the current Nextel Cup cars and up from the 105 inches as they currently run.
The Nationwide series will see the newly bodied cars take to the track for the first time at the start of the 2010 season".

Could this still happen....or is all just wishful thinking....I guess time will tell...
Old 10-28-2008, 04:18 PM

Default RE: Challengers in NASCAR

looks like I'm headin' to the bookstore!!!

Steve
Old 10-28-2008, 06:25 PM

I could see a camry out racing a mustang or camaro... but not a challenger.... that would just be wrong
Old 10-29-2008, 02:08 AM

The only trouble is, like Nextel Cup, they're talking about totally fake "Cars of Tomorrow." When is NASCAR going to wise up and start running STOCK cars again? Till then, I, like many other former NASCAR fans, will give it a pass. [sm=boosign.gif]
Old 10-29-2008, 05:28 AM

ORIGINAL: RoswellGrey

The only trouble is, like Nextel Cup, they're talking about totally fake "Cars of Tomorrow." When is NASCAR going to wise up and start running STOCK cars again? Till then, I, like many other former NASCAR fans, will give it a pass. [sm=boosign.gif]
The short answer....Never....
Old 10-29-2008, 10:48 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: BLK 6050

The short answer....Never....
Sadly I'm afraid your correct on this. They like to stay with old outdated rules which hurts everyone who is playing in on it.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 10-29-2008, 10:53 AM

I just attended my first Dirt Track race in years last weekend.....enjoyed it 100 times more than a Nextel race....it is the way racing should be....and watching the "Stockers" bought back visions of the NASCAR of old.....
Old 10-29-2008, 11:00 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: BLK 6050

I just attended my first Dirt Track race in years last weekend.....enjoyed it 100 times more than a Nextel race....it is the way racing should be....and watching the "Stockers" bought back visions of the NASCAR of old.....
I've been to races using NASCAR like cars on dirt tracks, would this be the same as what you are referring to or is it something different. If it is different could you provide info on what this consist of and what models they use.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first to 2000 posts

Old 10-29-2008, 11:25 AM

If it's what I'm familiar with, they're probably using Monte Carlos, Mustangs, Camaros and maybe even a few, left-over "full size" Thunderbirds of 1997 vintage. In short, they're real cars, NOT "cars of tomorrow." And many times, they're "cars of yesterday."
Old 10-29-2008, 11:28 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: RoswellGrey

If it's what I'm familiar with, they're probably using Monte Carlos, Mustangs, Camaros and maybe even a few, left-over "full size" Thunderbirds of 1997 vintage. In short, they're real cars, NOT "cars of tomorrow." Nor are the cars even very new a lot of times.
That would be fun to watch. So if I'm understanding this correctly, you would have Mustangs, F-body Camaros, W-body Monte Carlos, and the last of the RWD Thunderbird/Cougars. Now this would be fun to watch to see who truely made a superior car.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first to 2000 posts

Quick Reply: Challengers in NASCAR