Notices
Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. Just about anything goes.

Challengers in NASCAR

Old 10-29-2008, 11:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Challengers in NASCAR

Yeah, RLSH. I like that kind of racing a lot better than NASCAR.

Oh...back in the mid-1970s, a buddy and I used to go to the races that were held every Saturday night during the summer at the Iowa State Fairgrounds (one could pay 50 cents for a seat in front of the grandstand then sneak up to a better seat as soon as the races started). Most of the cars they were using were early-70s Camaros and Chargers. There was one guy, though, who raced each week with a 1957 Plymouth. It was a tank and invariably came in dead last in whatever 10-lap heat race it was in, thereby never making the 25-lap main event. But it was still cool seeing that 57 out there week after week.
Old 10-29-2008, 01:31 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: RoswellGrey

Yeah, RLSH. I like that kind of racing a lot better than NASCAR.

Oh...back in the mid-1970s, a buddy and I used to go to the races that were held every Saturday night during the summer at the Iowa State Fairgrounds (one could pay 50 cents for a seat in front of the grandstand then sneak up to a better seat as soon as the races started). Most of the cars they were using were early-70s Camaros and Chargers. There was one guy, though, who raced each week with a 1957 Plymouth. It was a tank and invariably came in dead last in whatever 10-lap heat race it was in, thereby never making the 25-lap main event. But it was still cool seeing that 57 out there week after week.
With something like this, there are far more surprises and room for error and for potentially superior cars. This to me would feel more realistic than NASCAR. It feels way to manufactured to be true Stock Car Racing.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 10-29-2008, 01:38 PM

Another aspect of this type of racing has to do with the fact that most of these guys are "low Buck" weekend warriors, not professionals...which makes the racing even more exciting. They may not be Nextel professionals....but they have the desirer (if not always the skill) to win.....They race for the fun of it....not for the money, as they will never get rich at this level of racing.
(and yes most of the cars are GM such as Monte Carlos and Camaros, but sometimes there will be a Ford or even a Mopar out there)........check it out.....
Old 10-29-2008, 01:46 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: BLK 6050

Another aspect of this type of racing has to do with the fact that most of these guys are "low Buck" weekend warriors, not professionals...which makes the racing even more exciting. They may not be Nextel professionals....but they have the desirer (if not always the skill) to win.....They race for the fun of it....not for the money, as they will never get rich at this level of racing.
(and yes most of the cars are GM such as Monte Carlos and Camaros, but sometimes there will be a Ford or even a Mopar out there)........check it out.....
It certainly sounds a lot more interesting. What do they generally have for engine output? And what Mopars do they generally run?

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 10-29-2008, 02:02 PM

Been to some of these races at the local speedway... my favorite has always been the figure 8 race though...
Old 10-29-2008, 03:24 PM

The local Flat Rock Speedway offers amature stock car racing on Fridays during the summer. I could include it in a Mopars in Motown visit.

I've heard no replies one way or the other for a Motown event.