Notices
Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. Just about anything goes.

Chinese are coming

Old 01-26-2007, 09:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chinese are coming

http://www.cfmotors.com/doce/

Obviously it was a matter of time but they are on their way. I would expect them to start with low quality product at market disruptive pricing initially (remind you of anyone...Japan 1970's maybe?) but give them 10 years or so and they will improve year over year. The state our domestic automakers find themselves today better change drastically to prepare for this. It's coming.
Old 01-26-2007, 10:18 AM
Administrator

Default RE: Chinese are coming

ive been in a few cheng feng products...its like a much crappier version of hyundai...i have some pictures if anyone is interested.
Old 01-26-2007, 04:17 PM

let's see them. I was in an industry 10 years ago where Chinese product started coming in and it was crap but less than 1/2 of other competitors. Eventually it got better and better to the point it is decent and still priced well below market. They (the country of China) are keenly focused on export economy.
Old 01-26-2007, 10:05 PM
Super Moderator

The thing that disturbs me about them coming in is the companies in China are extremely dishonest. They are one of the worst at pirating and violating copyrights. My concern is that they will steal some domestic designs such as the HEMI and copy them. I'm not very pleased with DCX by the fact that they are supposively outsourcing the "Horonet" to Chery (or some other Chinese company). Don't get me wrong, not all are like this, but the Chinese automotive companies have already gotten in trouble. I remember GM bringing a lawsuit against one of them.

Detroit needs to get their marketing and product placement together. I'm not too concerned about them being a threat in quality if they make cars anything like they make electronics. I will not deny that Japan made to quality electronics, that is why we lost that industry to them, but China's electronics are pathetic. If they weren't so cheap, they would have failed.

I still have electronics made from Japan that are about as old as me and they still work; whereas, a lot of current electronics from China such as my previous DVD player quit working when it was only a year and a half old. They can under sell, but just because its cheap doesn't mean it will last. The Yugo failed (thank goodness).

Unlike electronics, people are more concerned about quality in cars. The worst that will happen in most situations when say a DVD player fails is you have to brake it open and pry the DVD out. With a car, People are a lot more sensitive about quality. If people didn't care about quality, KIA and Hyundai would have killed Detriot a long time ago, and the perception that Japan has created about their cars wouldn't have worked. If people cared so little about perceived quality in cars as they seem to about electronics, Mercedes and BMW would have flopped a long time ago due to their higher prices, and Toyota and Honda would be struggling.

I'd appreciate it if you would post those pics, Patrick.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 01-27-2007, 02:04 AM

You bring up Kia and Hyundai and just as an example the Kia Sedona was rated the safest minivan in the class.

Trust me the Chinese will get there in terms of quality because they are tenacious and they have absolute support of their government and populace. Heck, this company was apparently part of the People's Liberation Army historically (what a joke huh?...liberation of people in a totalitarian state) Are they unethical...hell yes! Look at software. China is a horrible piracy violator but does that mean they will stop. Doubtful. Take a page from Japan's history...we used to laugh at the Datsun and (as we called them) the Mitsi-bitsi's. They got better and better.

No question that high-end vehicles will always have a market but the Chinese are not going to attack that market initially just as the Japanese did not. They want volume. Wait until you see a Chinese mid-size SUV come to the U.S. for $5k-$10k less than comparable models or so & people will buy them. Will they have problems initially? Probably. Will they improve...you bet. I am not happy about it but hope the U.S. is ready.
Old 01-27-2007, 12:32 PM
Super Moderator

The offset safety tests are not an indicator of quality. Volvo makes some of the safest vehicles on the road and has for many years and they are not considered to be a high quality product due to reliability problems.

I don't think they will. Japan follows the theory of constant improvement. They have the drive to keep trying to improve their quality. This is why they were so tough in electronics. China follows the theory of the Big Three. Undersell your competition. It might work at first but it won't last. Just look at how well these discounts are at keeping the Big Three on top. If people wanted cheap cars Suzuki would be extremely successful. People want qualty and they are very picky about it. The basic difference in quality between Detroit and the Japanese is the interior. The materials are more expensive and the American public can't get enough of it.

If the Chinese manufactures improve in quality, it will probably be due to building models here in the U.S. If the Chinese build good enough cars, GM wouldn't be doing so good over there. I don't trust the Chinese either but the thing is I don't think the public is going to fall in love with their cars. If the press treats the Chinese manufactures as they have treated Detroit, they are going to be hated. Although it is unusual for the press to hate foreign companies (except for their competitors), the poor treatment of employees in China will probably be used against the company before they get popular.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts