Notices
Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. Just about anything goes.

Comments from Wednesday's Briefing

Old 11-08-2009, 03:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post Comments from Wednesday's Briefing

The following comments/observations appeared in USA Today regarding Wednesday's briefing by Chrysler/Fiat. While they are very optimistic, a lot will depend on the economy and the willingness of credit markets to lend in the automotive sector.

* Chrysler has $5.7 billion on hand at the end of Sept.- up $4 billion in June.
* For its 20% stake in Chrysler, Fiat put up no cash- only its "expertise."
* Chrysler had an operating profit of $200 million in the 3rd quarter before taxes, interest, and depreciation.
* Chrysler stated it would post on-going profits by 2011.
* Chrysler vowed better quality, improved customer relations, quicker new model introductions, higher fuel economy, and better dealers.
* The upbeat presentation featured almost no models, photos, or even computer drawings of the vehicles that are to save the company.
* Chrysler hopes to double world-wide sales to 2.8 million in 2014 from a forecast of 1.3 million this year.
* Chrysler also expects to boost its market share from 9% to 13% by 2014.
* Chrysler could repay a $5.7 billion Treasury loan by 2014, but it will still owes $4 billion to others.
* As part of its 5-year plan, 60% of all Chrysler models will be derived from Fiat Group vehicles, as well as 56% of its power-trains.
* Challenger will get "updates" in 2011.
* Only 500 more Vipers will be built. They will be special edition collectibles. A replacement, under consideration for 2012 may use hardware from Maserati and Ferrari.
* The new Pentastar V-6 engine will see its debut in the 2010 Grand Cherokee.
* The subcompact Fiat 500 will be built in Mexico, where Chrysler has two successful plants. (Note- This is where the Hemi engine plants are located).
* In 2012, Chrysler/Fiat will introduce the Abarth- Fiat's performance model of the 500.*

*The Abarth, unfortunately, is butt-ugly and looks like a cross between a VW Beetle and a Caliper. Here is some information about its performance: The 500 Abarth SS receives a boost of 25 horsepower and 18 pound-feet of torque over the standard 1.4-liter turbocharged 500 Abarth. That additional power comes from an ECU upgrade and a new air filter to make a total of 160 hp and 170 lb-ft of torque. Accelerating to 62 mph now comes 0.5 second faster at 7.4 seconds, and top speed has been raised to131 mph. The Abarth SS kit upgrades the chassis with larger brakes and lowering springs paired with unique 17-inch wheels in white or titanium finish. The retrofit also includes tire pressure sensors and "esseesse" badges for the car.

Last edited by Cuda340; 11-08-2009 at 03:56 AM.
Old 11-10-2009, 01:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Too bad Fiat did'nt learn from MB. Leave american car building to americans. The engines they have slated for the future Chrysler cars have alot of R&D in them and would be just fine. Leave the LY platform alone and do what they do best. Work on the upgraded interior and finese the cars that are already available. Do cut some of the mid size and compacts. But the LY has been a success. Challenger was slowed by the bankruptcy and flex assembly lines. I'm a little worried where this is going. Please Fiat just do what you know and make a market for your small cars and leave the LY and Viper alone.
Old 11-10-2009, 09:49 PM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have little trust and faith in that this is going to work with Fiat doing just as it didn't Dumbler and Cereberus (that name doesn't need a mockery the route itself is a perfect symbol). If they want Chrysler to succeed, they need to invest in the company. It has been neglicited after years of cost cutting. They need to make up for lost time.

Fiat, you want to know what it is going to take to make Chrysler successful, I will tell you. You can take the credit and enjoy the profits, all I ask in return is YOU RUN THIS COMPANY CORRECTLY FOR ONCE!

-compact

-Nitro (Neon category car)-Yes I know this name is used on a badge engineered Liberty. Go with it anyway as it sounds exciting and in a car of this size it is appropriate. It must be able to reach 40mpg with a gasoline engine and a diesel wouldn't hurt. Have one turbo model that is FWD under the R/T label for affordable performance and SRT-4 to compete against the Evo.

-Intrepid (mid-sized competitor)-Get Chrysler out of their parnoid fear of making a larger mid-sized sedan that is competitive. Style the Intrepid as the Intrepid always was (after the Viper). Have a GDI I4 with a 6-speed auto for the base level, have a 3.6L Pentastar for the ES (the SXT name is too confusing on what it's supposed to be and ES has a better performance ring to it), feature a turbocharged AWD version for the R/T (SRT should be rarely used if at all). Feature an CRD model featuring a diesel for those who don't want a hybrid. Mileage must be in the mid 30s for I4 and no lower than 29mpg for the V6.

-Charger- Give it styling that is as close to the 1999 Concept as economically possible. 3.6 Pentastar as the base engine with a RWD version of the 62TE. Loose the overpriced, inefficient, questionable quality MB transmission for a Chrysler sourced 6-speed (reworked 68RFE or 545RFE with adaptation to make it a true 6-speed with appropriate gear ratios) for the ES 5.7L Hemi model (that's right ES not R/T), 6.4L Hemi for the R/T replacing the SRT-8 model and offer a 6-speed automatic, feature a limited edition Charger Daytona featuring the 8.4L V10. Also feature a diesel for fuel economy purposes. Mileage for the V6 must be no lower than 28 for the V6.

Challenger-feature GDI 3.6L Pentastar with a choice of either 6-speed auto or manual. Feature the 5.7L featured in the T/A model (not the R/T) with GDI, Feature the 6.4L with GDI in the R/T (not the SRT), and offer a limited edition 8.4L V10 in the SRT-10.

Viper-expand production with adding an OPTIONAL Dual-clutch automatic and retain the manual, loose the SRT-10 label for the base model but use it for a supercharged version of the V10 engine.

Dakota-loose the Powertech engines (it's a shame considering how power they are for what little technology is in them, perhaps look at using it for yourself). Have CRD instead of an I4 for fuel economy model. Offer the 3.6L Pentastar possibly with GDI. Offer the 5.7L Hemi as an R/T model. Update the interior and get back to the 90s mini-Ram styling.

Ram- Keep it as part of the division. Trucks keep the brand interesting to the youth because the youth like to go off roading. Switch over to 6-speeds, offer manuals again, offer a I4 version of the Cummins for the 1500 model.

Caravan/Grand Caravan-Offer a diesel option. Offer new engines making sure they beat the competition in performance and fuel economy. Get better interior materials and add some stuffing to the seats for crying out loud. Offer a shorter wheelbase Caravan again following the old formula.

Liberty clone-get rid of it

Caliber-either switch to 6-speed auto, get better fuel economy, or get lost for good.

Durango (Grand Cherokee clone)-make in lower production

Journey-get rid of it

Chrysler:

Le Baron (Sebring Convertible Replacement)-Loose the soft top. Hard top convertible only. Feature GDI I4 for base (which will have enough features to be considered luxurious), GDI 3.3 Pentastar for Touring, turbo for Special model.

Vision (aka 200C)-feature with GDI version of the Pentastar engine standard. Aim as luxury only. Have a SRT-6 with twin-turbos.

300N-get back to the correct order in the alphabet and sell it as a true luxury sedan. GDI 3.6 standard with 6-speed. GDI 5.7L for Touring and Limited. GDI 6.4L for Special. V10 for limited SRT-10 model.

Firepower-Crossfire replacement on Viper's platform though different from the original concept. Standard engine GDI 3.6 Pentastar, next level turbo 3.6, next level 6.4L GDI or twin turbo 3.6L.

Pacifica-return this model and do it right this time by making it a luxury competitor only. GDI 3.3L standard, 3.6L optional, and turbo 3.6L with AWD for Special model.

Jeep

Compass: get rid of it and destroy all evidence of its existance

Patriot: give it to Dodge and give it the 3.6L Pentstar

Wrangler: 3.6L V6 standard with 6-speeds, 5.7L Hemi optional, I4 Cummins optional

Liberty: Down size it to original size and add GDI I4, 3.6L Pentastar with GDI as an option.

Grand Cherokee: 3.6L Pentastar with GDI standard and 6-speed auto, 6-speed auto with 5.7L with GDI, SRT-8 with 6.4L GDI with a 6-speed auto or manual.

Grand Wagoneer: low production full sized SUV made from the Ram Power Wagon suspension, target at Cadillac Escalade and Lincoln Navigator.

That is my personal theory of how to get back on track.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts