Notices
Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. Just about anything goes.

Daily driver

Old 01-29-2010, 12:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The wife has a PT Cruiser and I drive a Ram. In the sunner we have a 74 Duster, 70 T/A and of course the 09 Challenger R/T.
Old 01-29-2010, 01:03 PM
Banned

Default Daily driver

"If you ever saw a bunny and his nose was very runny and you think its very funny then itsnot."

Get it, its not, its snot... lame, i know.
Old 01-29-2010, 08:47 PM

Talking

Originally Posted by canadiancanuck
c'mon Mark that's just adds to our driving excitement, RWD and slick roads = a crapload of fun on our city streets hahahaha, I'm like you, leave the traction on and stay outta the gas... you'll go anywhere

I drive 84th every morning and noted a Drk Blue Challenger, the owner works at one of the buisnesses along their, a month ago I notioced it had the passenger door all crushed in, looks like the owner just got it back,
Chris, I especially like to drive where the plows haven't been. Like every road in this city. I really think Dodge needs to offer us the option of ordering the AWD you can get in the 300. Yahoo!
Old 01-29-2010, 08:59 PM

Smile

Originally Posted by RLSH700
V8 Lite, I understand completely. I haven't had the time to post on here like I once was able to due to being so busy with work. The only reason why I'm able to post now is I'm in training and am away from home. Snow tires and traction control has done wonders. BTW, is it an auto or manual?

stevelegel, it sounds like a good new years resolution. Honestly, the truth of the matter is what is the point of having a car if you never get to drive it (especially considering how much those cars cost). Enjoy them is my advice.

jdb840, which engine do you have in your Dakota and how many miles do you have on it? You'll have to forgive me as my memory isn't working right now, but based on the mention of needing a new engine, I take it that you have a classic Challenger. Which engine do you have in that and what engine are you looking to get in replacement?

wp23n, sounds like you don't have to worry about not having a car if one of them is in the shop. ;-) What are you looking at getting to replace the Toyota?

lear4406, why such a practical car for a daily driver? Why not a Ram SRT-10, H1, or Ferrari? ;-) Just kidding, that would be a nice addition to your collection. I can only hope that I'm able to have a collection like that some day. If you get a Viper be sure to post pics of it.
RLSH700, She's a V6 so automatic was the only choice. And because she's an 09 she only gets 4 gears. I'd love to compare it to the 5 speed auto the 10s get to see if that improved performance much. A 6 speed manual would be great for the fun factor but I bet it sucks working the clutch in bumper to bumper traffic.
None of that matters though. I took her for an 800 kilometer blast yesterday and had a ball. The roads were clear, the traffic was light and I opened her to 180 kph a couple times.
It just doesn't get much better.
Old 01-29-2010, 09:30 PM

Daily driver is a 2010 Camaro RS. (on warm days) Charger Daytona (on cold days)

Old 01-31-2010, 02:43 AM

RoswellGrey, good to hear from you. How have the first 3K miles been, and what is your daily driver?
First 3K have been great. I use my 2000 Mustang for daily use, largely because I work downtown in a semi-crappy neighborhood at night. The Challenger attracts a little too much attention.
Old 01-31-2010, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by V8 Lite
RLSH700, She's a V6 so automatic was the only choice. And because she's an 09 she only gets 4 gears. I'd love to compare it to the 5 speed auto the 10s get to see if that improved performance much. A 6 speed manual would be great for the fun factor but I bet it sucks working the clutch in bumper to bumper traffic.
None of that matters though. I took her for an 800 kilometer blast yesterday and had a ball. The roads were clear, the traffic was light and I opened her to 180 kph a couple times.

Mark you can take mine for a boot, gimme a call, there is a night and day difference in the auto setups. You plannin on heading to Springfest?
Old 02-02-2010, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by canadiancanuck
Mark you can take mine for a boot, gimme a call, there is a night and day difference in the auto setups. You plannin on heading to Springfest?
Chris, I'll take you up on that when your life settles down a little. As for Springfest, I'm interviewing in 2 weeks for a new job that will require a lot of travel out of town so I'll have to play it by ear.
Old 02-04-2010, 01:37 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by V8 Lite
It's a V6? So why then is V8 in your user name? Based on what I saw in comparisons between the first year Chargers (which had the W5A580 5-speed automatic), to the 300 (which had the 42RLE used in the 09 Challenger), there is virtually no difference. The underlying issue is that the 42RLE has the following ratios.

42RLE
1st....2.84
2nd...1.57
3rd....1.00
4th....0.69
Axle-ratio: 3.64

W5A580
1st....3.59
2nd...2.21
3rd....1.41
4th....1.00
5th....0.83
Axle-ratio: 2.87

Now looking at these raw numbers would lead one to believe that the 5-speed has a clear advantage due to its much shorter first gear, but the problem is the axle-ratio equipped with these transmissions evens things out thanks to the ridiculously short overdrive on the 5-speed. The combined 1st for the 42RLE is 10.34; whereas, the W5A580's combined first is 10.30. This means that they turn out being on nearly equal footing for a first gear ratio with an ever so slight lead for the 42RLE. As for the combined top gear ratio, for the 42RLE it is 2.51 and as for the W5A580 the combined top gear ratio is 2.38. This would naturally tend to help the models equipped with the 5-speed to get better fuel economy, but for some reason, this does not translate into results (my assumption is due to the fact that the 42RLE is listed as having VLP which might make up the difference or some other unlisted factor). The spacing difference doesn't really come into effect until the top gears and by that point is not all that significant. Translation: all you gain is a higher price tag and the Mercedes version of the autostick with the 5-speed.

The thing that really irritates me is we will never get to see the hidden potential of the 3.5L engine as it will be dropped soon and it has never been offered with a manual. I had hopes that the Challenger would provide for me the chance to see what I had been waiting for ten years to behold.

RoswellGrey, glad to hear about the positive experience with the first 3K miles. I understand not wanting to take it out. That is one reason why I have delayed it as I wanted to get a garage to keep it in so then it wouldn't get vandalized or stolen. I now remember you mentioning the Mustang. How is it doing for you?

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 02-04-2010, 02:20 PM

It's a V6? So why then is V8 in your user name? Based on what I saw in comparisons between the first year Chargers (which had the W5A580 5-speed automatic), to the 300 (which had the 42RLE used in the 09 Challenger), there is virtually no difference. The underlying issue is that the 42RLE has the following ratios.

42RLE
1st....2.84
2nd...1.57
3rd....1.00
4th....0.69
Axle-ratio: 3.64

W5A580
1st....3.59
2nd...2.21
3rd....1.41
4th....1.00
5th....0.83
Axle-ratio: 2.87

Now looking at these raw numbers would lead one to believe that the 5-speed has a clear advantage due to its much shorter first gear, but the problem is the axle-ratio equipped with these transmissions evens things out thanks to the ridiculously short overdrive on the 5-speed. The combined 1st for the 42RLE is 10.34; whereas, the W5A580's combined first is 10.30. This means that they turn out being on nearly equal footing for a first gear ratio with an ever so slight lead for the 42RLE. As for the combined top gear ratio, for the 42RLE it is 2.51 and as for the W5A580 the combined top gear ratio is 2.38. This would naturally tend to help the models equipped with the 5-speed to get better fuel economy, but for some reason, this does not translate into results (my assumption is due to the fact that the 42RLE is listed as having VLP which might make up the difference or some other unlisted factor). The spacing difference doesn't really come into effect until the top gears and by that point is not all that significant. Translation: all you gain is a higher price tag and the Mercedes version of the autostick with the 5-speed.

The thing that really irritates me is we will never get to see the hidden potential of the 3.5L engine as it will be dropped soon and it has never been offered with a manual. I had hopes that the Challenger would provide for me the chance to see what I had been waiting for ten years to behold.

RoswellGrey, glad to hear about the positive experience with the first 3K miles. I understand not wanting to take it out. That is one reason why I have delayed it as I wanted to get a garage to keep it in so then it wouldn't get vandalized or stolen. I now remember you mentioning the Mustang. How is it doing for you?
Wow you,re one of the few to ask. I think most are too embarassed. Like lite beer, which has less calories, she has 2 less cylinders.

Quick Reply: Daily driver