Notices
Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. Just about anything goes.

Dodge needs to go in a different design direction

Old 03-24-2008, 07:22 AM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dodge needs to go in a different design direction

I just looked at their entire lineup and man is it uninspiring. I get that they want to have a theme across model lines, but they need a new one desperately. I don't like the boxy direction, I think Volvo already explored the many dimensions of that visual expression.

They need to have a radical shift from the new theme. It is totally blasé. I say redesign the whole lineup with a contemporary interpretation of classic retro.

Of course, I like the Charger/300C/Magnum/Challenger, it's the all the other highly faceted sharp angled body work cars. If that's supposed to look futuristic, I don't like that future. Looks like another foray into the 80's boxyness.

Old 03-24-2008, 09:16 AM

Default RE: Dodge needs to go in a different design direction

Dude... are you SURE you're looking at the current U.S. Dodge lineup? [&:]

You really think the Avenger is "boxy"? If that's the case, you'd have to say that the Charger is too, since the Avenger is almost a mini-me of the Charger.

And the Caliber... is that "boxy" too? I might call it homely, even kinda ugly, but boxy never came to mind.

The Durango and Dakota... I MIGHT give you those, but I don't think they're any worse in that regard than equivalent GM or Ford models.

Does the Ram count? Is that "boxy" too? Prior to 1994, absolutely, but nowadays... again that's not a word that leaps to mind.

Wait a minute... the SPRINTER! There's a boxy Dodge! (granted it is a van... but it's still boxy!)

When I think of "boxy", I think of an 80s K-car, or an 80s GM A-body, or just about any Volvo model (especially prior to the 1990s)... so I guess you'll have to forgive me for not seeing any "boxy" designs in the current line-up. Granted some could certainly use some attention, like the Caliber (and absolutely the Sebring - yucko), but I guess overall we're just gonna have to majorly agree to disagree on this one.
Old 03-24-2008, 09:34 AM

The latest Durango is one of the ugliest cars I've ever seen, with the ungainly shape plus the huge fenders and dumb looking grill. The big, thick cross on the grill on all their cars looks really dumb. Thank goodness it's not on the Challenger. Something like that shouldn't be on anything besides a pickup truck. I don't understand how they can stay in business with cars that ugly or why their executives would approve all those bad design decisions. I guess that's why they are in trouble. Don't they have any focus groups? I could do a much better job designing cars.
Old 03-24-2008, 09:36 AM

Scion Xb or whatever, are UGLY!!!!!!
if you bought a silver one and slapped some foam that looks like a half piece of bread all the toast lovers would come runn out screamin' "WE GOT A RUNNAWAY TOASTER!"

-Land Rovers are ugly too.
Old 03-24-2008, 10:17 AM
Super Moderator

OK, the Ram and Dakota, don't mind those...my gripes are specifically:

Journey
Caliber
Avenger

neutral on Caravan but has the same thing...

Specifically what I'm talking about is the hood line and the front facia. Look at the front of these cars, they all have the same bland boxyness.

Are they K-car ugly, no...but maybe the K-car's weren't K-car ugly back when they were transitioning out of the 70's. For the record

My point is the from the front, again, there are common lines and a square-ish thing going on, I just don't groove on it.

I thought the 90's and early 00's were more attractive and more modern looking.

Between a Neon and Caliber, I'd take a neon. Between similarly equipped (all the new gadgets) last gen and current gen Caravan, I'd take the last gen, same w/ the Durango.

I do like the dakota and ram.

Old 03-24-2008, 10:58 AM

I liked it when the design trend was to make the cars rounded and pretty. I don't remember exactly when that was, maybe the 90's.

Do you guys think the new trend of chunky, boxy, ugly cars was brought on by new safefty requirements?
Do they have to make them look like that because of all the new, extra safety junk that the government requires?
Old 03-24-2008, 01:09 PM
Super Moderator

I think they have to constantly change things somewhat radically to appear different enough to be perceived by the consumer as "modern". Regardless, I don't like the angled facets. I liked the smoother concepts of the late 90's early 00's (chronos, copperhead, etc). I look organic clean lines. Mazda MX6. Nice clean lines or ANY Chrysler product from the 90's.

Old 03-24-2008, 01:31 PM
Administrator

i would agree that the cars have a boxy feel to them...but thats not just dodge...even the mustang has a boxy shape compared to the prior generation models.

im not a huge fan of the caliber...the performance of the non-srt models is very poor...and in making the srt4 model FWD, they took it out of any real class. its still slower than the evo and sti, where the neon srt4 was a bit closer, but it is nothing like the other cars in its class...not a great replacement for the neon.

i think that dodge should make the avenger stormtrooper..i think that its awesome.
Old 03-24-2008, 02:53 PM

It's an American auto trend isn't if?? Don't we keep going in cirlcle's?? Seems like the auto industry re-introduces old things every 10-15 years.
I look at the new Vette' and see an old stingray, I look at the C5's and see an early model stingray.
I agree the Durgango took a turn for the worse and so did the dakota. The Ram is the sharpest looking vehicle, till the Challenger showed up. (wew) Glad I own one
As for the rest of the line-up Charger 300c and magnum are pretty much the same car and not a bad one in my opinoin.
the vans and small cars are pretty ugly though but to me all the all the other vans and small cars from american autos are ugly too. It's funny but they did to take just a little hint of design form the imports.
I know I know I shouldn't say this but come on.... Infiniti I really like maybe some of the BMW's.
Old 03-24-2008, 06:27 PM

ORIGINAL: MrKrisSullivan

Seems like the auto industry re-introduces old things every 10-15 years.
The Ram is the sharpest looking vehicle, till the Challenger showed up.
Sometimes, it takes them 38 years to re-introduce old things.

Quick Reply: Dodge needs to go in a different design direction