Notices
Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. Just about anything goes.

Ebay Find of the Day / Challenger 8 Seater

Old 02-20-2008, 09:24 AM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ebay Find of the Day / Challenger 8 Seater

Brought to you by the makers of the All Wheel Drive Challenger, it's the Challenger Town and Country.

Style, Pizazze and a certain je ne sais quoi, that can only be described as enchanting...OR...something like that .....maybe.....

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/02/20/e...llenger-wagon/

It's always dangerous to get excited about a car that looks halfway decent in pictures. This creative body project that was born from a very rare 1971 Dodge Challenger R/T SE is just such a car. Yes, the value of this car has been pretty well erased by the addition of an Oldsmobile Vista Cruiser roof, and that could cause some outbursts from purists. The thing is, the stupid values that cars of this era have been reaching at auction are a recent phenomenon. This particular Challenger was just a two year old car when someone went at it with the nibbler back in 1973. From what we can see, this is a 50/50 car – the closeups tell a story that's a little rougher than the more distant snaps. If you've got $28,000, you can enter a starting bid. The seller points out that it'll need some work, and that'll likely cost you at least another 30-large for a full proper restoration. Nobody has thrown cash at the auction yet, so that's a good sign for bidders. With less than a day to go, you may be able to snag this vintage metal shop Frankenstein without a bidder war.
Also described as one "fly @ss coochie mobile" by men of substance and means.
Enjoy.

[IMG]local://upfiles/924/89D6B75E6650490AADCAF91C29EC2868.jpg[/IMG]

Could this be the end game for Chrylser dropping the Magnum? Give it a lift kit, 4WD, mud flaps, a KC Light bar, a trailer hitch and a cusomtized trailer (think the prowler one here) as well as some luxurious appointments you've got a replacement for the entire Dodge lineup!

Old 02-20-2008, 09:32 AM
Administrator

Default RE: Ebay Find of the Day / Challenger 8 Seater

it looks nicely done...
Old 02-20-2008, 10:04 AM

I saw that one a couple of years ago at Carlisle.
Old 02-20-2008, 10:06 AM

That's awesome! Plum Crazy Purple, no less... I love it!
Old 02-20-2008, 10:23 AM

"Yes, the value of this car has been pretty well erased by the addition of an Oldsmobile Vista Cruiser roof, and that could cause some outbursts from purists."

I'm a purist. Actually, I'm too stunned to make an outburst.
Old 02-20-2008, 11:59 AM

I have seen the car at Carlisle and met the owner.... for the record, it was done back when it was just another used car that wasn't worth anything at the time. The body work on it up close is pretty ragged- it's a good 20 footer, and would need some serious work to make it any more than that. He's a decent guy- has a couple cloned Superbirds, a 4x4 General Lee, and some other customs that were done before these cars were worth anything, and for the most part, done to junk that other folks would have sent to the crusher, rather than do something interesting with.
Old 02-20-2008, 02:41 PM

Thats pretty cool.. this guy has some time on hands but looking at his garage stats he must be a pretty good mechanic.
Old 02-20-2008, 05:11 PM

Well let just say it's the fastest station wagon thing on the streets

What's it got under the hood?
Old 02-21-2008, 01:50 AM
Super Moderator

Makes you wonder what kind of other Mutant Challengers or FrankenChallengers are out lurking in the world. I still like the trailer someone fashioned on this board, I thought that was pretty imaginative.

Old 02-22-2008, 09:14 AM
Super Moderator

I've seen another one by Carbondale, IL (SIU-C for those who don't know that town but will recognize the University). It was brown. It certainly is an eye catcher. I'm not much of a stationwagon fan myself as you all know, but these look pretty good. I seriously doubt that they will make a station wagon version of the Challenger. I would not be a happy camper of they did honestly as I think it would take away from the performance image and exclusiveness of the Challenger coupe, plus we all know that the chances of them making a wagon coupe these days is extremely slim as wagon sedans struggle to sell in this size-class. If they would make a station wagon out of the Challenger again, bet on it also being a sedan which we all know you guys would not be pleased with (nor would I). Also think about the fact that the Magnum which is longer than a Challenger never had a third row seat, so it begs the question "Why bother?" Either way, its a neat find. Thanks for contributing it.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts