Notices
Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. Just about anything goes.

First Look: 2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe

Old 05-15-2008, 05:06 AM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Look: 2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...ook/index.html

$25,000 for 300HP? Not a bad deal.....still....I'd pay $2000 more for a 300hp Challenger....

[quote]

As we revealed in our March 2008 issue, Hyundai opens a new chapter in automotive history this summer when it begins selling its first V-8-powered, rear-drive sedan-the appropriately named Genesis.

Naturally, a rear-drive Genesis sedan begets a rear-drive Genesis coupe-and from the appearance of things, this two-door could be just as much of a revelation as its four-door forebear. Why? Just take a look at who it's targeting.

According to Hyundai, the short list of Genesis coupe competitors includes the Infiniti G37, BMW 335i coupe, Ford Mustang GT, Mazda RX-8, and Mitsubishi Eclipse GT, though a comparison of specs reveals the G37 matters most.

Dimensionally, Hyundai apes Infiniti in all key external measurements. At 182.3 inches long with a 111.0-inch wheelbase, the Genesis coupe is shorter by 1.2 inches between the wheels and 0.8 inch overall. With a width of 73.4 inches and height of 54.3, the Genesis coupe is 1.6 inches broader and 0.5 lower.

Curb weight is close as well-a claimed 3550 pounds in base V-6 configuration makes it about 65 pounds lighter than the G37. Engine specs and output are also in the ballpark; Hyundai claims the coupe's all-aluminum, 24-valve 3.8-liter V-6 makes 310 horsepower at 6000 rpm and 263 pound-feet of torque at 4700. Both figures are less than the 330 horses at 7000 rpm and 270 pound-feet of at 5200 rpm the G37's 3.7-liter V-6 makes, but note the Genesis's rpm advantage. The G37 has a better weight-to-power ratio, 11.0 versus 11.6 pounds per horsepower, though the Genesis coupe is ahead of everyone else on the list, including the 335i coupe. More significant, Hyundai is certifying the Genesis coupe (and sedan) to run on premium or regular unleaded gasoline and lose only four horsepower in the process.

That goes for the turbocharged, inline-four-cylinder base engine as well. Yes, you read that right-at the 2008 New York auto show, Hyundai announced the entry-level Genesis coupe will be a tuner's dream come true.

The base coupe's 2.0-liter all-aluminum turbo four-cylinder is the fruit of the same Global Engineering Manufacturing Alliance that produced the 291-horse, 2.0-liter turbo in the Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution and 300-horse, 2.4-liter turbo that powers the Dodge Caliber SRT-4. Output from the north/south-oriented engine will be significantly less-212 horses at 6000 rpm and 217 pound-feet of torque at 2500 rpm-to give buyers a reason to pick the V-6. Hyundai did engineer some headroom for the tuning and drifting set; the blown and intercooled I-4 features a low 9.3:1 compression and can take boost up to 29 psi. Like the V-6, Hyundai is certifying the engine to run on regular or premium unleaded. With the latter, horsepower jumps to 223.

At 3450 pounds in base trim, four-cylinder Genesis coupes won't be light, but they still should be an attractive alternative for enthusiasts. Not since the Nissan 240SX has America had a rear-drive, four-cylinder coupe.

Genesis coupes get three transmissions. The four- and six-cylinder will share a six-speed manual. In addition, four-cylinder models, likely badged Genesis 2.0t, will receive a five-speed automatic with Shiftronic. The Genesis 3.8 will get a six-speed automatic transmission with Shiftronic manufactured by ZF.

Clearly, Hyundai didn't crib everything from the Infiniti playbook. For cost, weight, packaging reasons, Hyundai went with a MacPherson-strut type front suspension; the G37 has a more expensive unequal-length A-arm setup. The Genesis sedan's five-link design is used in back. For chassis-bending rigidity, Hyundai benchmarked the last-generation BMW M3 and claims to have surpassed it by 24 percent.

Entry-level GS and midlevel chrome- whiskered GT models get standard single

Old 05-15-2008, 08:52 AM

Default RE: First Look: 2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe

Jury's still out on that styling. Although the interior looks nicer than the challenger.
Old 05-15-2008, 10:53 AM
Super Moderator

I doubt this will threaten muscle car sales as it looks nothing like a muscle car. It looks like a larger HONDA Civic coupe.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 05-15-2008, 11:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well uh I wanted to post a reply but... I can't get over the fact that its a Hyundai. Sorry but I will always see it that way and by throwing a V-8 in it will only leave me speculating as to how long it will stay together. They are late to the show and I think they will be better served to keep their products in the cheap and gas efficient. Too many well established cars in the field now and they are too new to try and change that image. It took Honda years to get to where they are and Hyundai wants to do it overnight. Won't work. you got to put the time in
Old 05-15-2008, 12:32 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: lear4406

Well uh I wanted to post a reply but... I can't get over the fact that its a Hyundai. Sorry but I will always see it that way and by throwing a V-8 in it will only leave me speculating as to how long it will stay together. They are late to the show and I think they will be better served to keep their products in the cheap and gas efficient. Too many well established cars in the field now and they are too new to try and change that image. It took Honda years to get to where they are and Hyundai wants to do it overnight. Won't work. you got to put the time in
My thoughts as well. I know the magazines are now beginning to kiss up to them as a manufacturer, but the issue still stands that they are far from flawless. The thing that annoys me is the magazines seem to judge a cars quality by the interior and not on the powertrain and that is where many of these cars suffer. I also have trouble respecting this company because they like to rip off other company's ideas and they are obsessed with trying to make others thing of them as Honda in their styling and their symbol.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 05-15-2008, 01:39 PM

Eh, it just looks patched together to me. I've read about just like ya'll since the concept and I'm not really digging it.[:'(]
Old 05-15-2008, 03:44 PM
Banned

Eh, it looks too similar to a Tiburon on the outside. Previous generation Tiburon body with a current gen styled Tiburon grille with minor variation.
Old 05-15-2008, 07:01 PM
Administrator

has anyone gotten a good look at it in person? i have. its like a RWD V8 tiburon...and having known a few people who own them, theyve got to be one of the worst quality of vehicle on the road...importing things break, and unimportant things break. 7 sunroof modules in 4 years? two exhaust manifolds? junk

anyways..they had the genesis coupe at the detroit auto show, and it was so technically advanced that it didnt have an engine or transmission...it was a shell with spindles (im guessing) to hold the wheels on, and if you leaned low enough to look under the skin, it was hollow...
Old 05-16-2008, 05:14 AM
Super Moderator

Mirada, you've been remiss in your automotive rags reviewing..... Z.E.T. is all the rage these days in concepts and automotive pundits are predicting this will be the way of the future for all cars in the American market....Hyundai is one of the biggest proponents of this movement. With ZET (Zero Engine Technology) gas mileage is through the roof, though acceleration is a bit lacking.

Old 05-16-2008, 06:51 AM
Administrator

its not a bad looking car for a hyundai, but ill believe that its for real when it hits the streets and can beat one of my cars...

Quick Reply: First Look: 2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe