Notices
Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. Just about anything goes.

G.M/Chrysler merger talks

Old 10-14-2008, 02:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: G.M/Chrysler merger talks

yea and with the upcoming mcain presidency going to war every 2 seconds we wont even have time for our cars.. we are in for some very conflicting times, the poor poorer and the rich richer.

Lets not inject politics into this plz hahaha jk
Old 10-17-2008, 01:32 PM
Super Moderator

I frankly would prefer to avoid a merger; however, out of any of the companies that has been discussed, I can see the most beneficial outcome with this arrangement. GM has many of the people who were running Chrysler before the horrible merger with Mercedes happened (minus Eaton the fool who sold out Chrysler), and you can tell how much GM has improved since this all happened. The only remaining issue is that GM's reputation has been so badly damaged from years of making flawed models that they are not catching on and they are not properly utilizing their divisions. They have put most of their effort into making Chevrolet and Cadillac competitive, meanwhile letting Pontiac loose their identity and downsizing Buick, but in fairness these divisions (particularly Buick) weren't exactly healthy to begin with. Dodge and Chrysler if given the right effort could perform just as strongly as Chevrolet and Cadillac and fit perfectly in their line up and reach a wider audience and turn a better profit.

Renault in my view would be a mistake as the previous arrangement between Renault and AMC did not work out.

Chery would just be a disaster and I don't think I have to explain why.

After having said all of this, I believe the best arrangement would be between Ford and Chrysler because they have exactly what the other needs. Chrysler has a fuel efficient, power, and competitive V8 line, a strong performance image, a competitive minivan line up, futuristic technology, and good truck line to compliment Ford. Ford has the car platforms that Chrysler needs, the smaller engines Chrysler needs, and the technology that Chrysler needs to make Chrysler a success again. The problem that Ford has currently is that all three of their divisions are dull and uninspiring. Ford only makes one car one performance focused car, and that is the Mustang. This is why people don't give the Fusion a first look. The years of letting the Taurus become a dull vehicle is why they don't sell well now even though they are actually quite an impressive product. The ugly styling limits the Focus from selling better (though it is doing quite well). If a merger were to happen this is how I would do it.

compact: Focus, Razor: share the same platform but make the Razor a performance model utilizing the SRT-4 engine. Use a Chrysler six-speed auto and probably "World Engine" line .

Mid-size: Fusion, Avenger, Sebring convertible, MKZ: Dodge should join this platform replacing the Milan's offering as it doesn't sell anyhow. More aggressive styling inside and out. Utilize either Cyclone 3.5L or upcoming Phoenix engine for V6 offering, and either 2.5L Duratech or 2.4L "World Engine" with Chrysler six-speed.

the Sebring sedan should be dropped and be given a RWD platform probably the D2C platform and should be aimed at the CTS. Use Phoenix engines as base level and use 4.7L V8 as mid-level offering and supercharged 5.7L Hemi.

Large FWD/AWD: Taurus, Intrepid, Vision, MKS: The Intrepid should receive a much tighter suspension than the boat like one used in the Taurus and should do their best to resemble the Intrepid inside and out. The base engine could be either the Cyclone 3.5L or a smaller Phoenix if it is more fuel efficient with a more powerful larger Phoenix engine (4.0L) and a forced air-inducted V6 from either manufacturer. The Vision should be based on the stylings of the 300M but that name should not be reused for obvious reasons and the Concorde & LHS names should be avoided due to the lack of performance image associated with their previous models.

Large RWD/AWD: Falcon, Charger, 300C, and Continental: use the LX platform for all of these. Make the Ford the entry level car and try to utilize the Australian styling. Use Ford V8s for Ford and Lincoln models. Make the 300C the standard level of the Chrysler and improve the interior.

The Challenger should remain on this platform and receive a more competitive V6 offering (including having a manual). The Mustang should remain on the D2C platform. They should never share the same platform or the same engine line-up.

Ram and F-series should only share two things: the 5.7L hemi and the Cummins, and that is it.

The Explorer should share the Grand Cherokee's platform, but naturally the Grand Cherokee would get the best of what both companies has to offer.

Dodge should gain Mercury's version of the Escape to replace the Nitro but use Chrysler powertrains

The Ranger should be replaced by a truck off of the Dakota's platform, just using Ford powerplants.

This pretty much sums up the way these two could have a potential synergy.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 10-30-2008, 04:32 AM

Caught this in the news this morning...

General Motors Corp. (NYSE: GM) seems to have cleared the biggest hurdle stopping it from merging with Chrysler financing. According to reports, Wagoner will stay at the head of the combined company but estimates say some 25,000 workers won't.
Does this mean it"s all over but the crying...
Old 10-30-2008, 04:57 AM

if this ends up being so, may MOPAR rest in peace[sm=boohoo.gif][sm=sigh.gif][sm=usa.gif]
Old 10-30-2008, 06:49 AM

I'm just glad I got CRUSH when I did.
Old 10-30-2008, 08:33 AM

I dunno, Paladin. I think I'll be trading in the SE for a brand-spanking-new GMDodge Challamaro. Side stripes will be STANDARD on them!
Old 10-30-2008, 08:43 AM

ORIGINAL: kevin2323

yea and with the upcoming mcain presidency going to war every 2 seconds we wont even have time for our cars.. we are in for some very conflicting times, the poor poorer and the rich richer.

Lets not inject politics into this plz hahaha jk
Seems to me the Demos get us into war Repubs fight them.
Old 10-30-2008, 08:54 AM

All I know is.....I am going to have the hottest, best looking car on blocks in the front yard of my house..........(long live the Challenger)
Old 10-30-2008, 09:29 AM

ORIGINAL: BLK 6050

All I know is.....I am going to have the hottest, best looking car on blocks in the front yard of my house..........(long live the Challenger)
So what are you going to do with the Camaro that's out there now, Joe?
Old 10-30-2008, 10:03 AM

STOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You're killing me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![:@]
ORIGINAL: RoswellGrey

I dunno, Paladin. I think I'll be trading in the SE for a brand-spanking-new GMDodge Challamaro. Side stripes will be STANDARD on them!

Quick Reply: G.M/Chrysler merger talks