Notices
Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. Just about anything goes.

G.M/Chrysler merger talks

Old 10-31-2008, 05:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: G.M/Chrysler merger talks

Oh great, another twist to the story…this whole merger has become a real rollercoaster ride……now where did I put that bottle of Prozac……
Old 10-31-2008, 05:41 AM

Forget the Prozac... Testors makes a fine product for such times... highly recommended! Five Stars!!
Old 10-31-2008, 06:00 AM

I was thinking maybe going back to the Zoloft.
Old 10-31-2008, 06:07 AM

Don't forget the soccer Mom vehicle of choice.

ORIGINAL: RoswellGrey

Interesting action by the Bush administration. I thought sure they'd immediately approve the funding, unless they're afraid of the Democrats using it against McCain in the closing days of the campaign.

I'm leery of the Renault-Nissan deal. It's been stated that Cerberus would be willing to sell off pieces of the company. Unless it's a flat-out merger of the three entities, I'm afraid this will spell the end for Chrysler, except maybe for Ram pickups and Jeeps.
Old 10-31-2008, 09:28 AM
Super Moderator

There are a few things here that do not make any sense in these rumors. #1. Why would GM want to buy Chrysler to get back into a shrinking segment (minivans) that they abandoned because they couldn't give away their offerings? #2. Why would GM dissolve models like LX cars when they are outselling their offerings 3 to 1? #3. Why would GM be doing this just to get Chrysler's cash reserves when they have to SPEND money to gain it? #4. Why would GM plan to do this if they know it would increase the amount they will have to pay to pensions and so forth?

What I have to say is if these RUMORS are true, then GM is committing suicide. My take on the situation with Bush is I expected this response from Bush. Bush in the past has been resistant to giving the auto companies a blank check for vague reasons. Although I have very strong opinions about the whole bailout decision and have strong opinions as well as the spending habits of what we have seen in the last year to save the fools who run companies in the ground, this is not something I believe Bush would go through with. I think Bush knows on top of this that if this were to happen, allegations would arise between him and connections he has to Cerberus, and I don't think he wants anything else that could do any further damage to his image.

What will be interesting is to see if what they think will happen will happen. I'm not saying this to be political or to criticize either side, but from what I'm seeing, it seems as though they think the Democrats would go along with this one. The reason why I say this is they claim to be waiting for the next president and congress. I doubt if McCain if he is elected being a person who claims to be a person against pork spending would go along with this, honestly he would probably be harder to convince than Bush. I think they believe that if Obama is elected, he would go along with this, though I'm not sure if that would happen with him either. Anybody who goes along with this is likely to pay a heavy price for supporting it and I think the politicians know it.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 10-31-2008, 09:36 AM

Actually, RLSH, for whomever is elected president, going along with it quickly is exactly the thing to do. It just might save a couple of American brand icons, and even if it fails, it's four years till the next election. Politicians know well that people's memories are incredibly short. Look at all the talk about "run the rascals out" at the time of the vote on the bailout for the banks. That wasn't even four MONTHS ago, and everybody's already forgotten who voted for or against it.
Old 10-31-2008, 10:12 AM
Super Moderator

Actually, RLSH, for whomever is elected president, going along with it quickly is exactly the thing to do. It just might save a couple of American brand icons, and even if it fails, it's four years till the next election. Politicians know well that people's memories are incredibly short. Look at all the talk about "run the rascals out" at the time of the vote on the bailout for the banks. That wasn't even four MONTHS ago, and everybody's already forgotten who voted for or against it.
True, but you never forget the person who is directly responsible for causing you to loose your job. I'm trying not to take a stand on this as I don't want to cause a fight, but this might be a different situation because these icons are different from banks because people don't have the emotional connection with banks like they do with the Big Three. If who ever is elected makes a decision to go through with this and it ends up killing Chrysler, I will hold that against the person when I vote in 2012 and don't doubt for one minuet that I'm not serious and that I won't remember because I'm still holding a grudge against Bob Eaton for selling Chrysler out to Daimler in the first place and that was about ten years ago.

I think that if GM wants this to happen, they need to have a full proposal on what exactly they are planning to do in great detail and have pre-conditions that if GM starts to go back on their word, the deal is off. There needs to be many conditions in this. They need to allow at least Dodge and Jeep survive. They need to keep most of their successful line up. They need to keep Chrysler's technology that can help them both (Hemi, Dual-clutch transmissions, Phoenix engines, etc.). They need to set this up in a way where they are willing to make compromises with Chrysler by dropping some of their models and technology for Chryslers (dropping the High Feature engine eventually, dropping the Northstar, dropping the G8, etc) so then this doesn't become "The Marriage Arranged by Satan the sequel!"

The best thing is if GM & Chrysler could with this arrangement try to treat Chrysler as a separate company that will occasionally share technology and platforms when it is logical.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first to 2000 posts

Old 10-31-2008, 11:18 AM

The best thing is if GM & Chrysler could with this arrangement try to treat Chrysler as a separate company that will occasionally share technology and platforms when it is logical.
As nice as this sounds, I don't believe it will happen. If GM gets a hold of Chrysler we can kiss everything we love about mopar good bye. I don't believe GM would keep the LX cars, the Dodge Trucks, or anything else short of Jeep. I think that Jeep is all they are after. Even if GM doesn't get a hold of Chrysler I still think we run the risk of seeing the company parted out. They are talking about cutting 25% of the white color work force. That is a lot of people. In the end this is going to be bad for the state of Michigan which has been hurting for a long long time. They will be putting at least 30,000 people out of work... since I think they are only after Jeep it'll really be more like 50,000 people out of work. In the end the only person to blame for this is Eaton... Thanks for selling us out.
Old 10-31-2008, 11:26 AM

This is the only win/win situation....as I see it.........

(In my opinnion, any "bailout" should take the form of a loan such as Chrysler recieved years back, and paid back....before it was due...this way the company and it's management are held accountable, and it's not just a hand out.....then if they fail.........so be it....as this would show that it was going to happen anyway.....)
Old 10-31-2008, 12:17 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: 66Cuda

As nice as this sounds, I don't believe it will happen. If GM gets a hold of Chrysler we can kiss everything we love about mopar good bye. I don't believe GM would keep the LX cars, the Dodge Trucks, or anything else short of Jeep. I think that Jeep is all they are after. Even if GM doesn't get a hold of Chrysler I still think we run the risk of seeing the company parted out. They are talking about cutting 25% of the white color work force. That is a lot of people. In the end this is going to be bad for the state of Michigan which has been hurting for a long long time. They will be putting at least 30,000 people out of work... since I think they are only after Jeep it'll really be more like 50,000 people out of work. In the end the only person to blame for this is Eaton... Thanks for selling us out.
At this point we can only speculate and I'm trying not to get in a panic as some have gotten into because truthfully, there is nothing we can do other than chew the ears off of our representatives to tell them not to give them anything to pull this off.

BLK6050, in my view if there is to be anything coming from the Government it should be a loans with guaranteed backing from the Government and that is a major "if." The big three need to stop this mentality of "woe is me" and start rolling up their sleeves and say "we are going to make it, and here is how we are going to do it." They have the mentality currently of how to post pone death as opposed to how to come back to life and that needs to change. I believe they need to have a detailed vision and spell it all out to us and accept terms and conditions if they want a loan. That is the way it is for everyone else and I believe it should apply to them as well. On top of this, they need to stop this spoiled brat mentality of when the government says no to them, cry and blame them for everything. If they want to borrow money from Uncle Sam, ask for it as a business venture NOT for a "pay for my date" attitude which seems to be their approach these days. All they seem to have in mind these days is what the Government can do for them as they want to cite what foreign governments have done for their competition. Grow up! They need to stop thinking of it that way and look instead with how they can get back in touch with their lost customers. That is the solution.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first to 2000 posts

Quick Reply: G.M/Chrysler merger talks