Notices
Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. Just about anything goes.

GM to DROP the GOAT!!

Old 03-07-2006, 05:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: GM to DROP the GOAT!!

Now I see on another forum that the GTO will be ressurected, as a variant of the new Camaro/Monaro platform. Guess it's not entirely dead yet; hopefully, they too will get a clue and give it some style that will justify the nameplate this time around.
Old 03-07-2006, 08:10 AM

I think all the buzz about the Challenger is making GM crazy!!
Old 03-07-2006, 02:58 PM

ORIGINAL: Paladin06

I think all the buzz about the Challenger is making GM crazy!!
Thats how I feel as well, some folks are getting a little antsy over there at GM.
Old 03-07-2006, 04:30 PM

Could be that, or it could be the pool full of red ink they're all swimming in right now....
Old 03-07-2006, 10:51 PM

As of late, I think the General has made some stupid mistakes.....SSR, should have remained a concept vehical. HHR, trying to play keep up with the PT cruiser. Camaro and TA's, priced to high, better performance than that of the Mustang but lack luster sales killed it and GM axed it. G6, the coupe isn't that bad looking but the sedan sucks, and that replaced the Grand-AM. GTO, they knew that it was to be droped in only 3 yrs but did nothing to come out with a RWD platform to replace it . They had 3 years to get something going and it took them 2 yrs to come up with the ZEDA platform only to kill it and waste more time. Now I hear its a go again, but will be 2 more years for any models to be built on it. To many crossover models that just get rebadged. They should give each of their divisions an idenity and let them come out with their own models that share a common platform but with different sheet metal.
Old 03-08-2006, 07:25 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Racer X

As of late, I think the General has made some stupid mistakes.....SSR, should have remained a concept vehical. HHR, trying to play keep up with the PT cruiser. Camaro and TA's, priced to high, better performance than that of the Mustang but lack luster sales killed it and GM axed it. G6, the coupe isn't that bad looking but the sedan sucks, and that replaced the Grand-AM. GTO, they knew that it was to be droped in only 3 yrs but did nothing to come out with a RWD platform to replace it . They had 3 years to get something going and it took them 2 yrs to come up with the ZEDA platform only to kill it and waste more time. Now I hear its a go again, but will be 2 more years for any models to be built on it. To many crossover models that just get rebadged. They should give each of their divisions an idenity and let them come out with their own models that share a common platform but with different sheet metal.
Thank you! Finally someone else see it. GM's problem has been the fact that the only divisions that are actually allowed to develop their own identity are the divisions of Cadillac and Chevrolet (divisions like Saab do not count). Chevrolet gets to make whatever they want these days. On their ordinary line of vehicles they get everything Pontiac gets in the engine department. For example, the Chevrolet Lumina never had the supercharged 3.8L, that was a Buick and Pontiac only option. Then in '04 the Impala got the older version (black only) which it shared with Buick, while Pontiac had a more updated version, which had an additional 20 hp. Now the Impala gets to have the same output on the 5.3L as the Grand Prix has. Another example, the Grand Am never had to share its more powerful 3.4L with the Malibu. Now they both share the same 3.9L engine. Pontiac gets the GTO but Chevrolet gets the same output on the Corvette base model and gets the Z06 model, both of which outrun Pontiac. The problem with Pontiac is they are no longer able to show that they are really a more preformance focused division when Chevrolet gets the same top level engines and gets the best preformance car the company has. They are losing their reason for people to want to come in and buy them instead of a Chevrolet.

The same thing is true about Buick. The newer 3.6L engine is a disgrace in terms of preformance. Yes it's more refined, but it is getting its tail kicked by the Avalon and Maxima. The Regal was the only car that was keeping the preformance side of Buick alive, now they killed that off by putting in an engine with 55 less ft-lbs of torque. They claim they are making it more luxurious but they lack key options like navigation systems, a 5 or 6 speed auto transmission, AWD, etc that competitors have such as the Maxima, Avalon, and Ford Five Hundred offer (when Ford offers something Buick doesn't in terms of luxury, that is not a good sign). Buick needs to bring back the Regal as the way it was during the 80s. Time to resurrect the GNX. Performance is what is really helping Cadillac.

However, I must disagree with you a little on the reason why the Camaro/Firebird was dropped. During '98, MT compared a Camaro Z28 vs. Mustang Cobra vs. Firebird Formula. The base price for the Z28 was in the $20,000 range, the Formula in the $22,000 range, and the Cobra in the $25,000 range. The F-body twins had equal hp and more torque for less money. Now it is true that the next year Mustang was given an update; however, the Cobra was roughly equal in their acceleration preformance during those years while the Z28 and Formula cost less than the Cobra and were around the price of the GT model. The difference the magazines pointed out was the Mustang was easier to live with. They claimed it had nicer interior, more comfortable ride, and they liked the looks better. I believe that is what killed the F-body.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 03-09-2006, 01:13 PM

"The vehicle was criticized for bland styling, and some fans of the original GTO complained that it lacked nostalgic styling cues."

Speaking for myself, this is dead on.
Old 03-09-2006, 02:33 PM

The difference the magazines pointed out was the Mustang was easier to live with. They claimed it had nicer interior, more comfortable ride, and they liked the looks better. I believe that is what killed the F-body.
Build quality was something to be desired on the F-body too.

"The vehicle was criticized for bland styling, and some fans of the original GTO complained that it lacked nostalgic styling cues."

Speaking for myself, this is dead on.
I like the modern styling on my GTO, and at 150+ MPH, you arn't going to get a second look!! Can you say sleeper?
Old 03-09-2006, 03:43 PM

No offence intended there, Racer X. Just speaking for my taste (or lack thereof).
Old 03-09-2006, 05:22 PM

Its all good. [sm=smiley20.gif] And when they ask if its a V6, drop down a gear or two, hit the gas and watch their jaw drop.[sm=badbadbad.gif]

Quick Reply: GM to DROP the GOAT!!