Notices
Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. Just about anything goes.

GM to DROP the GOAT!!

Old 03-09-2006, 07:55 PM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: GM to DROP the GOAT!!

I would think Pontiac would be wiser to offer the Firebird next time. The class that the GTO was supposed to compete in no longer really exists in non-luxury brands. The Firebird was a competitor to the Mustang by being in the same class. I think Pontiac just saw that they can't compete against BMW as they were hoping to do with the GTO. They ought to build the Camaro/Firebird and marketing the Camaro against the Mustang, and the Firebird against the Challenger in terms of styling and options. Chevrolet can be the bargin division and Pontiac can offer a few more features for a little more money $1,000-2,000 more, as well as offering a better top option engine than the Camaro. And a side note for people who do not understand. I'm NOT saying don't offer a base V6 model, or a lower level V8. I think the line up for the two cars should be like this.

Camaro engine line-up and transmission line-up

base 3.5L V6 (201hp & 222 ft-lbs of tq) 4-speed auto & 5 speed manual

Z28 5.3L V8 (303hp & 323 ft-lbs of tq) 4-speed auto & 5-speed manual

SS 6.0L V8 (400hp & 400 ft-lbs of tq) 4-speed auto & 6-speed manual

Firebird engine line-up

base supercharged 3.8L V6 (260hp & 280 ft-lbs of tq)
5-speed automatic & 6-speed manual

Formula 5.3L V8 (the VVT version with Ram-Air, around 320-340hp & 340-350ft-lbs of tq)
5-speed automatic & 6-speed manual

Trans-Am 6.2L V8 (VVT version, the new engine with more Ram-Airs, not sure about the hp & tq)
6-speed auto & 6-speed manual

Trans-Am Firehawk 7.0L V8 (Z06 engine) (add VVT, would produce over 510hp & over 475 ft-lbs of tq)
6-speed manual only

This helps to prevent the two cars from competing against each other. It allows people who want the cheapest performance possible to get their car, and allows the people who want higher-tech prevents to get their car. By offering a line up like this, you can fill in the gaps that will appeal to different crowds. Some might want more hp & tq than the 3.5L but don't want as much as the Z28. Some might want more hp & tq than the normal 5.3L, but don't want to go all the way to the 6.0L. The point of giving the Firebird two engines that would be superior to the Camaro's top engine would be so then the Camaro and Corvette don't compete with each other, and since the Firebird would be Pontiac's best car (whereas the Corvette is Chevrolet's best car), it deserves to offer a superior engine line-up. The Trans-Am would probably compete against the GT500 and the Trans-Am Firehawk would compete against a possible SRT-8 Challenger 6.4L. It might be a good idea if Pontiac would offer AWD as an option.

I also think they should use a extended version of this platform to remake the Buick Regal Grand National here is how I would do the engine line-up.

base (CX model) 3.6L V6 (the Cadillac version 255-260hp & 252 ft-lbs of tq, instead of the whimpy 240hp & 225 ft-lbs of tq LaCrosse version)
6-speed automatic & 6-speed manual

CXL 4.6L V8 (STS VVT version 320hp & 315 ft-lbs of tq)

CXS 6.0L V8

GNX supercharged 4.4L V8 (same as in the STS-V)

This will appeal more to the import luxury crowd by offering more refined engines. Offer the correct luxury options and it could be a success. I also think AWD models should be offered as optional for this car.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 03-10-2006, 12:50 AM

[sm=exactly.gif] Send a copy of your post to GM. ATTN: Mr. Putz er I mean Clutz or what ever his name is. Tell them this is what they need to build for Pontiac.....
Can you imagine this with a 500+ HP LS7? WOW!
Old 03-10-2006, 01:00 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Racer X

[sm=exactly.gif] Send a copy of your post to GM. ATTN: Mr. Putz er I mean Clutz or what ever his name is. Tell them this is what they need to build for Pontiac.....
Thanks, I'm glad you liked my ideas. Now that is what GM needs to do (refering to the engine and styling combo)! That would be a sweet machine. They need to let Pontiac go nuts with performance models, as Dodge has. That is a Firebird I would seriously consider (this coming from a person who said he would not buy any more GM vehicles)!

Do you have a link? I'd love to tell them how to fix about all their marketing and car line-up issues.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first to 2000 posts

Old 03-10-2006, 06:11 AM

ORIGINAL: Racer X

I like that. If DCX doesn't get the Challenger right and Pontiac puts that on the market, I'd seriously consider it. Is that an official GM concept, or somebody's photoshop creation? That's what I suspect- didn't recognize the sig on the pic; almost looked like one of Doug Schramm's pics.
Old 03-10-2006, 10:36 AM

Oh yes, that is nice. Muscle car wars. Never thought I'd see the day....again.
Old 03-10-2006, 12:09 PM
Super Moderator

It looks like a chop job done to a Camaro concept. The "Screaming Chicken" on the hood is definitely a enuthasist addition, though a very nice one at that. I personally hate the styling of the Camaro concept, but if Pontiac would make the Firebird look like that, I would be tempted to consider one.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first to 2000 posts

Old 03-12-2006, 03:24 AM

Can't remember where I found it at. I'll try to find it, and yes, it is a photo-chop.
Old 03-16-2006, 09:41 AM
Super Moderator

Default Ferrariy crash

Did you see the video on CNN.com today about the Swedish playboy that was racing his Ferrari F430 $1.5M car but he denies it and say he
is part of homeland security. What a bizarre story?

He is lucky he is still alive. A telephone pole sliced his car.

Watch: A Ferrari whodunit at 160 mph
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 03-16-2006, 10:10 AM

Default RE: Ferrariy crash

Actually this was about 3 weeks ago this happened.
Old 03-16-2006, 12:03 PM

Default RE: Ferrariy crash

Yeah, kinda old news.... and not quite sure what it has to do with the GTO being discontinued...??

Quick Reply: GM to DROP the GOAT!!