Notices
Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. Just about anything goes.

Has anybody thought about building a Kit Car? If so, which one?

Old 09-01-2006, 10:33 PM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anybody thought about building a Kit Car? If so, which one?

I have often wanted to build a kit car. The one I wanted to build was the GT-40 Mach II version.

When I found out Ford was going to build one, but then found it how expensive it was......I was disappointed.

I have always been fond of rear engine cars because of their handling and if you stick a big engine in it, boy will it perform.

Any thoughts on why you would or would not build one? If yes, which one?
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 09-01-2006, 10:50 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Has anybody thought about building a Kit Car? If so, which one?

Here is one that I thought would be cool to build:

www.ultimatekitbuilder.com

[IMG]local://upfiles/17/2B461A46A37F4AD0B81C63D7475EB3A6.jpg[/IMG]
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 09-01-2006, 10:52 PM
Super Moderator

A car that can go 0-100-0 MPH in 10 seconds tells me a lot about a car that I would love to drive and own.

Here is a favorite of mine:

www.1gracing.com

[IMG]local://upfiles/17/5D2C8D05EEB3472A817E9F13EE24DEF6.jpg[/IMG]
Old 09-01-2006, 10:56 PM
Super Moderator

These guys do a lot of GT-40 and Porsche style of cars:

http://race-car-replicas.com/main.html

[IMG]local://upfiles/17/50E18D3DAF144F08BF7CA769BCEDF7CF.jpg[/IMG]
Old 09-01-2006, 11:02 PM
Super Moderator

This is one of my favorites because the recently introduced the GT-40 Mach II.

For those of you who have never seen the Mach II version, it reminds of of a fighter plane with big side intake ducts.

This is my favorite of the 4 versions of the GT-40.

www.superformance.com

The car in the background they have been making for a will....the Daytona Coupe and it is a sweet car. They are currently building it with Carroll Shelby Licensing.

[IMG]local://upfiles/17/083718D39FB54ED78E5FBCBEA949C61A.jpg[/IMG]
Old 09-01-2006, 11:07 PM
Super Moderator

The GTM by Factory Five Racing is a power house in the kit car community.

Last year they finally introduced the GTM after about 3 years of R&D. It reminds me of a cross
between a Corvette and Camaro. You do use a donor Corvette for the key parts but the chassis and body are all new.

What I like about this kit is you can buy everything for $20K and then you need a donor Corvette to complete it.

http://www.factoryfive.com/

[IMG]local://upfiles/17/E98657F7238341B6B9C0CB7234FD55EA.jpg[/IMG]
Old 09-01-2006, 11:10 PM
Super Moderator

They all look good but too expensive for me unfortuneatly.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 09-01-2006, 11:13 PM
Super Moderator

One of my other wishes would be for a manufacturer like DCX to come out with a mid-engine car like the Ford GT or Porsche Cayman
but cost around $40K and not $140K.

I guess mid-engine cars but take a lot more engineering/manufacturer and hence higher cost.
Old 09-01-2006, 11:35 PM
Super Moderator

As nice as a mid-engined car would be, I'm going to be thrilled just to have the Viper and the Challenger out there. For a company that is struggling to hold its status, I feel lucky that we are getting what we have.

The Ford GT is a sweet car; however, Ford should have invested its money into the rest of the car line-up. Maybe they wouldn't be about dead.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 09-01-2006, 11:57 PM
Super Moderator

The catchphrase was the Ford GT was the pace car for an entire company.

About 3 years ago when they aired the commercial on the SuperBowl, I really believed that
Ford was poising themselves and getting customers excited about Ford but that effort fizzled out
and management did not make the right marketing adjustments. You know about those issues
since you are a marketing guru.

If you have never seen those commercials of the Ford GT they give me goose bumps. I think it is the best car commerical ever make.

Here is the website if you have never seen it: http://media.ford.com/newsroom/featu...?release=16812

Quick Reply: Has anybody thought about building a Kit Car? If so, which one?