Notices
Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. Just about anything goes.

I hate winter weather!

Old 02-22-2008, 08:42 AM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: I hate winter weather!

Whiney? Most of county was without power for a week during my graduation week, I only had power thanks to the campus having a back up generator. We almost had to cancel my graduation party because of it. My coat isn't warm enough because the stores do not stock themselves with heavy enough coats because of the mild winters we had for the last 4-5 years. I can't do my nightly walk because of the combined ice and snow everywhere combined with the stabbing cold wind that penetrates my coat and the other two layers I'm wearing, and I'm getting flabby because of it. I've had bronchitis now for almost two months which my doctor blames on this annoying weather. I never get a chance to wash my car because the car wash doors are shut due to the weather being too cold as deranged explained (not that it will make much of a difference on my 11 year old Intrepid who's paint is hardly in good shape anyways). It's preventing me from getting things done. AHHHH!!!

Dodge Favre ever, I appreciate the suggestion, but the problem is I live in town and knowing my luck, the day I would buy it would be the day the snow and ice would disappear, plus I can't really afford something like that right now. I think I will reserve that fun for a trip to Colorado next winter on a brief skiing vacation with some friends.

To my friends in the south, there is a reason why I added Oklahoma, Texas, North & South Carolina, Tennessee, and Kentucky to the job search. I'm tired of the icky weather in middle-north. I don't know how people in places way up north like Michigan can stand all of this cold, icky weather as often as they get it.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 02-22-2008, 10:41 AM

Your absolutly right.
except you gave the wrong link!
the right link is: http://www.polarisindustries.com/en-.../Overview.aspx
ORIGINAL: Dodge Favre ever

When you have lemons make lemonade. When you have snow you go http://www.arcticcat.com/snow/sled.asp?id=816
Old 02-22-2008, 06:50 PM

I have to agree. I am usually accepting of whatever weather we get here in Detroit, but this winter has been a tedious series of inconvenient and messy small snowfalls. I'm tired of a dirty car, tired of shovelling and tired of cold air down my neck.

On the other hand, the total lunar eclipse was cool to see on a cold clear night.
Steve
Old 02-23-2008, 05:58 AM
Super Moderator

That was neat. So about how much is "small" snowfalls? I've been averaging about 7 inches.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first to 2000 posts

Old 02-23-2008, 06:21 AM
Super Moderator

Our morning temperature today is 40 degrees warming up to 74.

Forecast is Mostly Sunny, Breezy South Winds, but Nice

Eat those apples.
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 02-23-2008, 07:08 AM
Super Moderator

Sounds nice Jeremiah, I'll remember to return the favor during the summer about our more mild temperatures.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first to 2000 posts

Old 02-23-2008, 11:02 AM
Super Moderator

The Dallas auto show should have some nice temperatures before it gets hot.
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 02-23-2008, 11:37 AM

we have had way too much snow here as well, I miss the summer when I can put the roof down and Cruewzzzz
Old 02-23-2008, 08:22 PM
Super Moderator

I have an hour commute, and snow doesn't phase me. Maybe arrested development. Never really grew up. Still have a favorable connotation of snow to snow days, even though it makes my one hour commute a two hour commute. I've got XM so I zone, keep loose arms and try to fight the urge to drive faster than I should.

I know I'm probably wired a bit weird, but I like winter, not particularly more than any other season, just as much. I like the fact the seasons change, I get burned out, that's why I like erratic weather. So keep burning the fuel to make green house gases. That'll make unimaginably odd and extreme weather manifestation just like Papa Smurf Al Bore drones. That'll keep old Skippy's HDD need for constant change under wraps.

Old 02-24-2008, 12:39 PM

I'm in Upstate NY. In addition to the usual west-to-east movement of systems/snowfall, we get Nor'easters, and continuous "lake effect snow" from the Great Lakes - Ontario in particular.

My job has me working on the roads - literally - all year long. I supervise highway construction, maintenance and repairs. My crews and I are in the sweltering heat all summer and freezing our peaches off all winter. We're on pavers as soon as we can get blacktop from the plants in April right through December. Nothing as nice as standing on a BlawKnox screed that's 140 degrees (standing over 280 degree blacktop right under your feet) on a nice 95 degree summer day with high humidity ..... except maybe putting up guiderail (that someone took down with a semi) on the wide-open interstates when the wind is howling at 35-40 mph and the temp struggles to get out of the teens......if we're not plowing snow, that is.
We work on shifts from 4:30 am to 1:00 pm every day - unless it's snowing. Then we're in the machines by 1:00 am until 1:00 pm - when the other shift comes in. Whether we get two feet of snow, or a dusting, we're logging a lot of miles and working a lot of hours. In a normal winter, we'll log about 300 hours of overtime between November 15th and April 15th. That's seven and a half weeks of time tacked onto the 15 weeks of regular time (I should note Nov 15 - Apr 15 is more like 20 weeks. We're on shifts for 15 weeks during that time). Our wives are "winter widows". The best part is after our shift, we get to come home and clear OUR driveways, just to go back in and do it all over again the next night. Every shift that I work when we're dealing with snow, I'm running a front end loader for 12 hour stretches, loading salt into the trucks/plows my men operate, or I'm training FNG's. We run a "One Person Plowing" operation, so the driver runs ALL of the controls alone - salt hopper/spreader, nose plow, and two wing plows. With all of the iron on the ground, the plows are 18 feet wide and 24-28 feet long. It takes a special breed of maniac such as us to get out of bed at 11:30 at night, clean off our cars, drive through the worst road conditions to get to work - to clean the roads for an ungrateful public. If we don't get to work and do our jobs, NO ONE gets to work.

Rare is the year when I'm NOT working on Christmas and New Year's Day.
Winters are bittersweet for us. We make a decent amount of money with all of the overtime, but we get tired (and sick from being run down) a lot. We hope for good amounts of snow (gets us our overtime), but temperatures that stay above zero most of the winter. That saves us from frostbite and high(er) heating costs.
This winter HAS been a series of nuisance storms, with very few "substantial snowfalls". BUT keep in mind my terms are relative. Substantial to some would be four inches of the white stuff. To us, it's two feet.
This year seems to be an "ice year" - more ice/freezing rain storms than snow storms. I'd rather drive in the snow.
SO when you say you're tired of the winter and ready for it to end, I hear ya, guys. I am too. But I'm not looking forward to paving on the hot and sticky summer days either.

Keep telling myself: I CAN retire in 8 more years....just 8 more years....there's no place like home.... no place like home.....

BTW - the PT Cruiser is VERY good in the snow with all-season tires and no chains.

Quick Reply: I hate winter weather!