Notices
Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. Just about anything goes.

List of Dealers Good/Bad Experiences

Old 07-03-2008, 02:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: List of Dealers Good/Bad Experiences

Before I ordered my 2009 Challenger SRT, I thoroughly researched all of the dealers. Champion Jeep/Dodge (Barrington, IL) came highly recommended. It is a high volume SRT dealer (sold 150 SRTs in 2007) that discounts them. I ordered my car from Don Conrad of Champion for invoice + 1/2 difference between invoice and MSRP (basically a discount of $1,700). Down payment was only $500.

My car will either be delivered to my house in an enclosed trailer for about $500 or drop shipped to my local dealer for $300-$400.
Old 07-03-2008, 04:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED - Boerne SuperStore in Boerne, TX. The best of the best..
Old 07-07-2008, 12:39 PM

Add Park Cities Dodge of Dallas, TX to that NOT Recommended list!

I was on a 'list' there since November, now they say they want +$20k
Old 07-08-2008, 11:20 AM

I went to the dodge dealership (Ray Brandt Dodge in Harvey, LA) on the way home from work one day at the beginning of the year and talked to them about the 08 Challenger. They didn't have that much information on it. Just that they were on order to get a hand ful of them (like 4). After a long song and dance he plops down a sheet of paper with a price $25k over MSRP. My jaw hit the floor. A 60% markup! I made a hasty retreat and cursed them for days. I actually lost sleep over it. I called the Metairie Dodge (Metairie, LA) and they said they could offer me the same car for "between $15k and $20k over MSRP" if I wanted to come talk to them. Still too steep for me.

I emailed Dodge HQ in Feb after a couple weeks of simmering on the situation. This was their reply:

In response to your email, regarding your sales experience at the
dealership, as much as we would like to be of assistance, the
circumstances in this matter prevent us from doing so. Dealers are
independent businesses, and as such are responsible for addressing
concerns directly related to their sales departments, including their
personnel. We have no authority to resolve disputes involving retail
sales agreements between an independent dealer and their retail
customer. We suggest you pursue the matter directly with dealership
management.

Your dissatisfaction is regrettable, but we trust you will understand
our position. We hope this experience will not cause you to misjudge our
products.
Which I completely dont understand how they cant have a hand in the sales of their vehicles. Ultimately, I rather buy a Camaro at this point. I am not going to travel out of New Orleans to find the price I am willing to pay. If I am switching brands because of the poor salesmanship at the dealer, then it is affecting Dodge's bottom line. Look at Honda, they have a strict price point. Even with the Civics that were selling out like crazy years ago. The dealerships could NOT gouge the public. The dealers would lose their right to sell if they were found to do so. My dad was on a LONG waiting list to get one. He paid a certain price and as they got cars in, they would call and say "we have a red one" and if he wanted it, he could take it or wait for a color that he preferred. They COULD NOT jack the car prices up or they would get slapped by the manufacturer. Why can't Dodge do this?

And this isnt just Honda. I bought a LIMITED EDITION Scion xB for my wife 2 years ago. Release series 3. Only 3,000 or so made. Special paint, options, etc. Each dealership in the nation got between 0-3 cars to sell. We were the first to inquire at the local dealership (they didnt even know anything about it) and got our names on the list first. MSRP. They (Toyota) have a STRICT no quibble pricing. What you see is what you pay. No discounts. No inflated prices. You are not allowed to even try and bargain. So with these cars being hot items and hard to find (the others went quick), we didnt get screwd on the price. We paid MSRP. And it was funny because the regular models cost more with the same options added that the release (limited edition) series came standard with and dont have a limited paint job. We felt like we got a steal. So Dodge is wrong when they say they cant do anything about it. It's horse pucky.
Old 07-08-2008, 11:39 AM

You're exactly right, respawn. And they wonder why American dealers have such a poor image. The car companies indeed CAN control what dealers do if a dealer doesn't follow the rules, a company can always cut off the supply. You notice that recently, the president of GM said the new Camaro will be sold at MSRP. I wonder if GM is finally getting this idea.
Old 07-09-2008, 05:24 AM

ORIGINAL: RoswellGrey

You're exactly right, respawn. And they wonder why American dealers have such a poor image. The car companies indeed CAN control what dealers do if a dealer doesn't follow the rules, a company can always cut off the supply. You notice that recently, the president of GM said the new Camaro will be sold at MSRP. I wonder if GM is finally getting this idea.

They say this now, but wait till that ugly Camaro is out and see what happens. I'm betting that they will see mark-up's initially too.
Old 07-09-2008, 08:59 AM

Nah the camaro will sell for msrp. . . but I hear the doc fees will be going up to $15,000.
Old 07-09-2008, 09:11 AM

Good Dealer Experience

I ordered my 2008 from Starling Dodge in Kissimmee Florida for MSRP.
No games whats so ever. I also got excellent financing terms. The salesman, Buddy Valley, kept me informed at all times of the cars status and location.
Old 07-13-2008, 07:44 AM

why does GM get it and dodge does not... now that is an idea.. selling a car for MSRP and not letting the dealers rip off customers.
all i have gotten from local dealers is lies and stupidity
Old 07-13-2008, 10:44 AM

At least if GM forces the MSRP issue, you'll probably get lies and stupidity, too, but at a cheaper price.

Quick Reply: List of Dealers Good/Bad Experiences