Notices
Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. Just about anything goes.

Need help, key stuck in ignition!

Old 03-22-2008, 05:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help, key stuck in ignition!

Well, so my wife did something and of course she chooses to be far away from home when she did it, but thankfully at a relatives house. Her key is stuck in the ignition. I think she shifted it into gear before starting it, or something like that, and now it won't start nor will the key release. She shift it into park and nothing happens. Does anyone have a suggestion? I would hate to have it sit at the dealer over night far away with a key in it. Brand new 2008 Avenger. I have a feeling it has something to do with the shifter cable, but I'm sure that's not going to be something I will be able to work on tonight. I am just hoping that it something more simple, but I doubt it. Thanks for the help in advance.
Old 03-22-2008, 05:36 PM

Default RE: Need help, key stuck in ignition!

If the switch is on the column, tell here to try repositioning the steering wheel, up and down and try to remove the key while trying to turn the wheel. I had a car did the same thing once.
Old 03-22-2008, 05:42 PM

Unfortunately it is not on the column.

http://z.about.com/d/cars/1/0/3/t/jf..._DashAngle.jpg

The problem only came about when she put it into gear before starting it, I believe that's how she put it.
Old 03-22-2008, 05:57 PM

Just found out something else, the gear is stuck. It shows drive on the display, she can shift it between drive and neutral, but it does not change on the display. She can't get it into park at all.
Old 03-22-2008, 05:58 PM

Make, model and year of the car?
Old 03-22-2008, 06:01 PM

Two things come to mind.
1) Some vehicles will not "shift" unless the brake pedal is depressed - you can try that.
2) It may be locked against the gear. Have someone try pushing/rocking the car while she tries to shift it back into Park - without the brake on, of course.
Old 03-22-2008, 06:11 PM

Mentioned above, 2008 Dodge Avenger. I guess she had it in gear when she tried to turn it off. I've done that before, but I also drive a manual. Did that in her other Avenger, same year, without a problem.

I'll tell her to give that a try. Roadside is coming to get it right now and take it to the dealer. She tried forcing the gears, while using the brake at the same time, tried to move the key while moving the transmission with no luck. Sounds like a little more complicated problem then we can fix right now. Just wish it would have happened yesterday closer to home rather then miles away where we can't do anything until Monday.
Old 03-22-2008, 06:17 PM

Make sure she has her foot on the brake..
Old 03-22-2008, 06:29 PM

Yep, confirmed foot on brake, parking brake also on. Car will not start in neutral position, don't believe it's reading the neutral position as the display, on the instrument cluster, is only reading drive even if she puts he gear into neutral.

Another question, is it safe to disconnet the battery while everything is getting power the way it is? I've worked under a hood, back in the day before everything needed a stupid computer hooked to it, but never dealt with a live batter in this way, with the ignition in the on position. The new vehicles have a run down protection, but I don't think it's going to kick in when the car is reading drive and the power key is stuck in on. They also decided to keep it where the battery is down in the wheel well, I would assume disconnecting the cable that is under the hood would also kill the electrical system completely, but I wouldn't know for sure since I haven't seen how things are setup under the hood of this car.
Old 03-22-2008, 06:53 PM

Do it, negative, then postive.

Quick Reply: Need help, key stuck in ignition!