Notices
Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. Just about anything goes.

New Addition to the Family

Old 09-12-2006, 11:13 PM
Administrator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Addition to the Family

the cobra in question...the "lawsuit cobra" was the 99 model. they advertised 320hp, but were proven to only make 305. it took a computer upgrade, different intake manifold, and exhaust system in a recall to make the advertised power.

as for the LS1 cars, that was al dumb from the get-go on GMs part. it was the exact same engine in the corvette and the f-bodies, but the camaro and firebird mysteriously had less power? that was just GM trying to keep the vette owners feeling superior to the f-body owners...
Old 09-13-2006, 12:06 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: 1 Bad Mirada

the cobra in question...the "lawsuit cobra" was the 99 model. they advertised 320hp, but were proven to only make 305. it took a computer upgrade, different intake manifold, and exhaust system in a recall to make the advertised power.

as for the LS1 cars, that was al dumb from the get-go on GMs part. it was the exact same engine in the corvette and the f-bodies, but the camaro and firebird mysteriously had less power? that was just GM trying to keep the vette owners feeling superior to the f-body owners...
Yeah I know the 99 was the "lawsuit cobra" but the 1998 model also produced 15 hp less hp than rated according to Motor Trend. That was the issue that was titled Chevrolet Camaro Z28 vs. Ford Mustang Cobra vs. Pontiac Firebird Formula.

Your right that they were foolish for thinking they could fool everybody.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 09-13-2006, 01:12 PM
Administrator

so an update.

The guy from whom I am buying the car wouldnt take a check, and I didnt have the kind of cash just laying around, and our bank was 400 miles away. So..we wrote my dad a check, and when it clears, he will take the money to the guy, and pick up the car. The guy said that was fine, and that a deposit wasnt needed...but i have been on the short end of "my word is as good as any down payment and contract", so i insisted. I wrote up a brief contract stating the buying price, most of the bigger items including the car and the VIN, etc. I told the gentleman in advance that I would be doing this for tax reasons, as we intend to sell alot of the stuff, although it was more to protect us from getting burned. mine you, before this past saturday, I dont know this guy, and the people whom i know, who know him, are barely acquiantances.

so my dad called him last night, and told him that we would feel more comfortable if he would take a deposit, and the guy said that if it made us feel better, it was fine by him. So my dad takes the contract over there, with the cash, and when he shows the guy the contract, which was very simple, he got all upset, saying that he doesnt do business on paper. he signed it, but my dad said that he was very unfriendly about it....i dont think that i did anything wrong, but this guy was generally taken aback by the fact that i wanted things in writing. again, this is no small amount of money...he originally said that if we needed, we could keep the car there until it was "good for us", and now he has told my dad that as soon as he has the money, to get the car out of his storage.

so he is offended that "i dont trust him"...but at the same time, he wouldnt take a check from me, which would lead me to believe that he didnt trust me...

am i in the wrong wanting things in writing?

Old 09-13-2006, 05:24 PM
Super Moderator

This guy sounds shady. I bet he is trying to cheat the IRS. He sounds awfully suspicious. Never do things off the record because the people who want it that way are up to no good and you don't want to be caught up in their messes.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first to 2000 posts

Old 09-13-2006, 07:50 PM
Administrator

i dont care if he is cheating the IRS...i just want to cover my own arse...
Old 09-13-2006, 08:20 PM
Super Moderator

Naturally your top priority is to make sure your getting treated fairly and don't have to worry about the IRS. It bothers me when I see people cheating the IRS because they are cheating you and me if you think about it. We have to pay our taxes, so why shouldn't everyone else.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first to 2000 posts