Notices
Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. Just about anything goes.

New Dodge Ram

Old 12-22-2008, 08:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Dodge Ram

Wanted to see what everyone thinks of the all new Ram 1500, since I work with Dodge. They made a lot of redesigns to the truck, including the storage space in the bed and an improved interior. Anyone gotten a chance to test drive one?
Old 12-22-2008, 09:22 AM

Default RE: New Dodge Ram

Yes, I got to test it at the challenge grounds. I love the look of it and think it's a great improvement. I'm having a hard time saying it's a large jump in improvement over the old in terms of performance and such, but it does seem nicer and, at least a little better. I use to own a 1500 and a 2500, 2001 and 2003 respectively. I think the storage on the bed was a great idea. The only down side, and the biggest reason I would not get this truck, is the lack of a manual transmission. It's the same reaon I would not buy a Charger.
Old 12-22-2008, 12:36 PM

I like the update on the front end, that last iteration was butt ugly! This is the toughest looking American truck out there now!
Old 12-22-2008, 06:34 PM

While I was waiting to sign the papers for my chally I checked out the new ram they had in the showroom....much better than previous models. I like the new front end as well as the 390 hp hemi....wish I could bump my R/T up to that. I wish they offered a 6spd for both the ram and dakota.

I have a 01 dakota QC 4x4, and I think that is the best overall truck....I just wish they hadn't made the new dakota so hideous looking....looks like I'll be holding on to my dak for a while
Old 12-23-2008, 02:49 AM

Personally, I like the new design. I hope it will give the Dodge division of Chrysler some additional clout when and if Chrysler is broken apart and sold to others.
Old 12-23-2008, 03:16 AM

I'm off work for 2 week and my Challenger needs an oil change, so I'm planning to check out the new 1500 while I'm at the dealership. Any word on the 1500 R/T?
Old 12-23-2008, 12:19 PM
Super Moderator

I haven't had a chance to test drive one yet, but from what I saw at the auto show looked very impressive. The interior appears to have had a huge jump in quality. The styling is a step back in the right direction. Those storage boxes were an excellent idea. The only thing I will say is, I'm disappointed that Dodge doesn't seem to get it that they need to keep up with Ford, GM, & Toyota in towing capacity. The 1500 are still a serious truck and needs to have serious effort put into that element. The Dakota is for lighter use but still capable, not the Ram. The other thing is I don't know why Chrysler still doesn't understand this very simple concept, but they need to learn that having a little more hp & tq means nothing if you don't have the right transmission offered in order to compete. That 545RFE gearing choices are illogical. It provides no real advantages than many of their competitors OUTGOING 4-speeds because they don't utilize the gearing that they have available. Having 4th .75 & 5th .67 is pointless. Just have .69 for such a small difference, they should have had a larger gap such as 4th .82 & 5th .62 to yield some noteworthy benefit. Better yet, why didn't they make a lighter duty version of the 68RFE for the Hemi as that was at least a full 6-speed with close gearing to yield a fuel economy and performance advantage. Also this idea of not having a manual anymore is a mistake. There are still people who prefer a manual to an automatic and I'm one of them.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 12-23-2008, 02:30 PM

I had a '97 and presently have an '02 and love it. I took a close look at the new one and was impressed with the styling and the fit and finish. Loved all the new features and they better build the R/T. My only complaint is the interior layout. The Ford copying console is great but it feel like the floor is higher. Almost like the seats are sitting very low on the floor which sux for my 6'6" frame.

ORIGINAL: IndigoCrush

Wanted to see what everyone thinks of the all new Ram 1500, since I work with Dodge. They made a lot of redesigns to the truck, including the storage space in the bed and an improved interior. Anyone gotten a chance to test drive one?
Old 12-23-2008, 03:19 PM

I drove several at the Ram Test Challenge earlier this year also, I was very impressed. I had an 04 that I bought new and very much miss it. The new 09's interior is leaps and bounds better than the previous - that was one of my biggest complaints with my 04.

I kinda wish Dodge would make a "truck" version of the 6.1 - perhaps not as high-strung as the SRT 6.1 but with more torque and can run on 87 (or 89). GM now has their 403 hp 6.2 in their half-tons, making the 390 hp Hemi come up a bit short. Dodge also needs to dump their Mercedes 5-speed tranny and get a real 6-speed auto like the competition does. As far as a manual, if you really need one you can always upgrade to the 2500 model - yeah it'd be nice if they offered one in the 1500, but that's hardly a deal-breaker for me. In my Challenger I demand a manual, but not for my truck (unless it's the SRT-10... different story there)

Bottom line is if you liked the 2002-08 Ram, you should easily love the new one.
Old 12-24-2008, 06:14 AM

2500 is the old look. Once they put the new look on the 2500, hopefully they'll put a manual tranny on it. What sucks about this is that I had to do that in 03. In order to get a manual transmission you have to pay for more truck and get more of a truck then you might ever need, again, that was my case. I don't want to be forced into that situation. I know that manuals aren't as popular as autos, but at least put some out there as some people do still get them.

It's like options, the only option you usually have is pay for a package and get many things you want, or try to do it aftermarket. I ended up doing the aftermarket when it came to my wife's car for remote start. I understand why it's done, but it doesn't make it any easier to swallow.

Quick Reply: New Dodge Ram