Notices
Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. Just about anything goes.

Nissan, Honda May Outshine GM, Ford With N.Y. Autos

Old 03-24-2008, 02:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Nissan, Honda May Outshine GM, Ford With N.Y. Autos

Well that's nice and peachy keen of you to say brother. But you can do that for about 40k.
It's really a comparison of 250k for a ford gt or Lambo or 911 to 70k for a GTR.
What do you say to that? Im assuming it's an easy decision, but you'd pay 70k for a challenger so maybe you'd take a mortgage out on a 911 turo too.
Old 03-24-2008, 05:08 PM
Super Moderator

What about a used tweaked viper? You could probably get reasonable performance out of one of these for a reasonable sum of coin, right?

Old 03-25-2008, 07:27 PM

Agreed, yeah I bet those V-10's can definatly handle a super-charger even if they've got some miles on them.
Old 03-25-2008, 11:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When comparing, its best to compare apples to apples. Nissan GTR is not a Porche 911 or a Ferrari. But peformance is spot on... you really can't call it a super car due to history or the intangible meanig (Super Car). I agree that it has the stats to back it up, but like Miss America its a beauty contest. Same with the Supra or the Mitsu GTO. Japanese Super Cars no doubt, but its the magazines with editors and readers that coin Super Car. And that is hard earned and usually out of most of our financial grasps. Just like a GTR will not be coined Muscle Car... that is a phrase that is saved for 60s and 70s cars. What we have with the Camaro and Challenger will more than likely be called Pony Cars. Though they out perform the muscle cars of the past they will be called Pony Cars. I will drive a Challenger and more than likely never line up to a GTR at a stoplight. But if its my 71 Challenger that I'm in... well we'll just have to see how that turns out. If the GTR is allwheel drive its going to be a barn burner. Nissan would love nothing more than to be considered a Super Car, but its not their call. Money is a factor as is exsclusiveness. Thats why guys like us build our cars up and hit the streets. We can't afford $200,000 cars and with our upbringing should'nt. I am happy tooling around in my affordable Muscle cars and Pony cars. Performance is not a Super Car made.
Old 03-31-2008, 08:44 AM

I totally agree lear.
My point was that it is in a class by it-self but would most likely be the first of it's kind and can be compared to a super-car. Key word compared. No other car on market can really say that. Peace...
Old 03-31-2008, 06:19 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: 1 Bad Mirada

however, if im not mistaken, honda has slipped a bit in their "ultra reliable" reputation...

i think that nissan is doing a good job of making some sportier vehicles, but im still not a huge fan of their mid level cars, and unfortunately, the GTR is priced out of reach of most people. the idea is for it to compete in the muscle car market, which it doesnt performance wise, but the price tag puts it into the supercar class.
I believe that was actually Toyota as they have been having transmission and engine problems with some of their newer models, but if you have any evidence of that, please share it. I would love to hear that so then I can give my friends who drive Hondas a hard time. I know that they have had transmission issues throughout the years, though they do a good job of shutting up the press about the transmission problems they have since you always hear the magazines take a jab at Chrysler and never take a jab at Honda.

1971Chall, you are sounding so much like myself, it is beginning to scare me. What you said is why I have trouble trusting CR, I also have had trouble trusting them on the basis that they never report commonly known problems in their reliability comparisons that people have had with Toyota like the oil sludge problems that effected most of their product line from 97-02.

Some outlets do consider this to be a supercar; therefore, it can be compared to the 911, plus the Corvette isn't a supercar but a sports car and gets compared to the 911 all the time. The Viper is considered to be a supercar and it only costs around $87K. This car is very impressive overall, I just hope it is able to hold itself together with all that stress.

MrKrisSullivan, actually the Ford GT was around $150K, although you are correct that many sold them for $250K, the issue is that many other supercars and sports cars have the priced raised significantly so in fairness when comparing you have to stick with what they are supposed to be charging for the car and not the price hike.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 04-02-2008, 08:54 PM

totally. thank you for that post.
Old 04-03-2008, 09:20 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: MrKrisSullivan

totally. thank you for that post.
You're welcome!

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 04-03-2008, 12:23 PM

The Nissan GTR seems to be an engineering marvel. It's like it was designed with only engineering in mind and no consideration for cosmetic beauty. But the sheer quality & sophistication of the mechanical design is tempting. I read it goes 0-60 in 3.3 seconds.