Notices
Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. Just about anything goes.

Reflections on Indy

Old 05-27-2009, 06:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reflections on Indy

Reflections on Indy:

Just got back from attending my first Indy 500…Just a few thoughts I would like to share:
It was a real eye opener, as I have never seen so many people at any one event…and what people…when thinking of NASCAR many people categorize the fans as red-neck beer drinking hillbillies from the South…Let me just say that I have never ever seen so many empty beer cars laying around as there was both on the track grounds, and surrounding neighborhoods…I always thought of Indy-car fans as having more class and respect than those of NASCAR fans…was I wrong. Now it may be just a case of this one race being so special that everyone just wants to be involved, and the race is really just secondary…but I have never been to a NASCAR race where the fans trashed the track with so many beer cars. (Don’t get me wrong I enjoy a beer now and again, but I could have paid for my trip if I invested in a few garbage bags and picked up beer cans to recycle. I am just surprised that many people can’t seem to enjoy a sporting event without a few beers…or a 24 pack, or a 36 pack…etc.) But, enough on the fan (fans will be fans) I was surprise that Indy cars were not as noisy as “Stockcars” but they sure make the NASCAR guys look slow by comparison. Bottom line, I really enjoyed the race and the in-field was a lot of fun…I highly recommend the experience, but not if you don’t like crowds.
While traveling I-40, I saw about a dozen new Challengers, including one white SE with stripes, rear spoiler and black wheels that passed my Motorhome during a driving rain storm on the OK turnpike. I also saw my first new Camaro in the wild…if you remove the bowtie on the front…you would never know it was a Chevy. They also had a couple on display at the race, as it was this year’s pace car. Not impressed, as I don’t care for its style but each to his own I guess.
Old 05-27-2009, 08:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Indy's definitely something you want to attend -- probably just once. I went there in 1976. An amazing spectacle, especially since four of us shared one set of press credentials and I got to go into Gasoline Alley and out into the pits before the race. (The guy who was actually covering the race had to use them, so the other three of us wound up in some cheap seats out on the backstretch during the race itself.) In those days, there were no large-screen TVs to keep up with things on, and in a couple of laps, you had absolutely no idea who was in the lead. Still a great time, but one I've never wanted to repeat.