Notices
Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. Just about anything goes.

Simulation Racing

Old 01-05-2008, 09:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Simulation Racing

Just wondering if anyone does it, has done it, or is interested in doing it.

I've been doing it for about ten years. It's a blast, and one of the few "indulgences" I grant myself. I'm usually tied up at work, or working on the house and the cars. This is the way I get to "escape" and do something I enjoy that I'd never have the chance to do in real life. Besides, I'm getting up in years and don't heal as quickly as I used to, so the "simulation" part is perfect for an old guy with limited resources.
Old 01-05-2008, 10:40 AM

Default RE: Simulation Racing

I've done a-spec Miata racing at Road Atlanta and gone trough the Panoz Experience. Never done any simulation racing though.

What are you using as your simulator?
Old 01-05-2008, 10:55 AM

Are you speaking of simulator games for your computer or going to a special place that has full on robotic type cars?

I have a computer game called GTR2 FIA GT Racing Game. And I bought the Logitech MOMO Racing feedback wheel. The only thing it doesn't have is a clutch peddle. I think they make one with the clutch peddle, so I am thinking of taking it apart and see if there is extra wires I can convert one into it. I have also been having an idea of making motorcycle controls to attach to it. Now that would be cool.
Old 01-05-2008, 11:36 AM

ORIGINAL: AnthonyAtAkins

I've done a-spec Miata racing at Road Atlanta and gone trough the Panoz Experience. Never done any simulation racing though.

What are you using as your simulator?
I started off racing computer simulated racing leagues (online) about ten years ago with Sierra Papyrus' NASCAR Racing 2. Then went to NASCAR Racing 3, 4, 2002 Season and 2003 Season as they came out. Each subsequent sim offered better graphics, better physics, more immersive interface, better net-code, and more realistic rules/enforcement.
NASCAR, in their infinite wisdom sold rights to the NASCAR name to EA Sports in 2004 (I think it had a LOT to do with Dale Earnhardt's affiliation with EA and the enormous bid EA made for the exclusive rights to "everything NASCAR" for gaming). The subsequent NASCAR Racing sim EA came out with was horrible, and they provided ZERO support for their software issues. So we were still using Sierra Papyrus' NASCAR Racing 2003 Season until recently.
We're now using a sim called rFactor by ISI. This sim has a tremendous net-code for multiplayer online racing. It offers mods for nearly every type of racing - go-karts, indy racing, formula 1, grand prix, ....... you name it and there's a modification for it. The mods are free downloads and work seamlessly with rFactor's interface.
The league I run in now (Team RoadDog Racing) is beta-testing a mod called Stock Car Evolution. It's the newest incarnation of NASCAR Nextel Sprint Cup, which uses the 2008 Car of Tomorrow, all 30 2008 NASCAR sanctioned tracks, 2008 NASCAR rules, and some truly incredible online competition. The physics engines are amazing. We're still working with the programmers to get everything exactly right/accurate, but it's very close to a final release - version 1.00. NASCAR may have sold exclusive rights to their name, but that doesn't mean there's nothing better out there.

If you're interested, look up rFactor (by ISI) and Stock Car Evolution (under rfstockcars.com) and check them out.
Once you've competed online against REAL opponents, you'll NEVER go back to racing on a game console against artificial competitors again.
Old 01-05-2008, 11:54 AM

ORIGINAL: TechmanBD

Are you speaking of simulator games for your computer or going to a special place that has full on robotic type cars?

I have a computer game called GTR2 FIA GT Racing Game. And I bought the Logitech MOMO Racing feedback wheel. The only thing it doesn't have is a clutch peddle. I think they make one with the clutch peddle, so I am thinking of taking it apart and see if there is extra wires I can convert one into it. I have also been having an idea of making motorcycle controls to attach to it. Now that would be cool.
I used to run an informal league at a local mall location through Silicon Motor Speedway - 1/2 scale simulators in malls around the eastern seaboard (before they were mismanaged and went bankrupt). Some of those sim locations are still around under different management and names. While the novelty of having the "car" move was unique (full on robotics), the racing experience was anything but realistic.

GTR2 is a good game. The graphics are very good and the gameplay keeps your interest.

The Logitech Momo FF wheel is very good. I used the black one for MANY years with excellent results and very few repair issues. The force-feedback is a very cool way to help immerse yourself in the sim. I used the left "paddle" on the wheel as a clutch - like a motorcycle clutch lever. It worked very well for over 5 years of heavy use.
There are no "extra wires" for a clutch pedal, unfortunately. With another pedal, you'd need another potentiometer (pot) and way of mounting it. You'd probably be better off buying a set of pedals with a clutch pedal already built into it.

My wife got me a Logitech G25 for Christmas - the FF wheel with 6-speed shifter, leather wrapped steering wheel, and yes, it has clutch pedal. This is probably the wheel you referred to. This is a much more expensive wheel/pedal/shifter combo with incredible precision and feel. Definitely worth the money if you plan on using it a good deal.
If you're looking for a good motorcycle game controller, check this out: http://archive.gamespy.com/hardware/...l/index3.shtml . I'm not sure of the price, but it's supposed to be very good.
Old 01-05-2008, 02:36 PM

You should try need for speed carbon and run the 2006 concept Challenger doesn't handle so well but is alot of fun to drive as with any muscle car in sims alot of wheel spin and smoke
Old 01-05-2008, 03:00 PM

ORIGINAL: moparjeff

You should try need for speed carbon and run the 2006 concept Challenger doesn't handle so well but is alot of fun to drive as with any muscle car in sims alot of wheel spin and smoke
The NFS series never really had good racing physics, its very arcadey. Forza motorsport and Gran Turismo have some of the better "real" physics when it comes to sims.
Old 01-05-2008, 03:21 PM

I try to play a demo before I buy anything. Couldn't get NFS2 Carbon to run on my computer.

Honestly, as much fun as racing games are, they're not much like a simulation.
With a NASCAR simulation, you have to set up every tire pressure, spring rate/weight, shock rebound, shock compression, toe in/out, camber, caster, steering ratio, track bar diameter and height, ride height, spoiler angle (front and back), gearing, tape on the grille, weight distribution (front to rear) and transfer (wedge), spring rubbers (size and presence)....everything that a real NASCAR team adjusts on a real car. After it's all tested and you have a setup that's fast and you can drive well (in traffic), you need to keep an eye on tire wear and temperatures, engine water and oil temps, repair damage on pit stops....... just like the real deal.
Then you have to use pit strategy to keep yourself in contention. It's very realistic.

I'm not slamming racing games. I enjoy playing them myself. But a simulation is a different critter - especially against real opponents who've been working on their cars all week and are trying to beat you and everyone else.

Here's a picture from the "garage" in our sim. This shows the suspension adjustments.
There's also a section for "general" changes - like gear & steering ratios, bump stop settings (to keep the chin spoiler off of the pavement under braking/cornering), tape and spoiler settings...... You can see how involved this can get.

[IMG]local://upfiles/271/0937C2BDF564481D95654B0CE261DD8D.jpg[/IMG]
Old 01-05-2008, 03:26 PM

ORIGINAL: BootCamp

I try to play a demo before I buy anything. Couldn't get NFS2 Carbon to run on my computer.

Honestly, as much fun as racing games are, they're not much like a simulation.
With a NASCAR simulation, you have to set up every tire pressure, spring rate/weight, shock rebound, shock compression, toe in/out, camber, caster, steering ratio, track bar diameter and height, ride height, spoiler angle (front and back), gearing, tape on the grille, weight distribution (front to rear) and transfer (wedge), spring rubbers (size and presence)....everything that a real NASCAR team adjusts on a real car. After it's all tested and you have a setup that's fast and you can drive well (in traffic), you need to keep an eye on tire wear and temperatures, engine water and oil temps, repair damage on pit stops....... just like the real deal.
Then you have to use pit strategy to keep yourself in contention. It's very realistic.

I'm not slamming racing games. I enjoy playing them myself. But a simulation is a different critter - especially against real opponents who've been working on their cars all week and are trying to beat you and everyone else.
You can do all of that in Forza and Gran Turismo. They're racing sims, just not NASCAR sims.... and you can play them online too.
Old 01-05-2008, 03:38 PM

A few of the guys who sim race with me run those sims too. I believe they run them in leagues as well. They seem to like Gran Turismo. Not sure about Forza....

Quick Reply: Simulation Racing