Notices
Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. Just about anything goes.
View Poll Results: A poll
Team Sports
75.00%
Individual Sports
25.00%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Sports: Which does a better job at making a team effort?

Old 04-24-2008, 04:28 PM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sports: Which does a better job at making a team effort?

This is something I've been thinking about lately since I keep hearing from people about how valuable team sports are in getting people to understand the importance of team work and I see so many movies on it, that I think I might become sick as I think it's fake. It has been my experience back when I was involved in "Team" Sports (football, basketball, baseball, etc.), the concept of Team work where you depend on each other to do each others part and you put in your best effort was supposed to be the outcome and each person is recognized for their contribution, yet I observed quite the opposite. What I witnessed back when I was in school was the "Team" was really centered around one athlete who was either the coach's son or someone else who was the obviously the coach's pet, who got too much credit for when things went right (even when someone else was clearly responsible for the success) and was the first to criticize everyone else when things went wrong. This caused people to eventually turn against each other instead of blaming the one who is at fault and this caused division and "team members" to grow distant of each other and were the worst to work with on any project. On top of this, when I went to college and had group projects, I normally found that the members who were the worst at not doing their parts or struggled the most with the idea of working together were actually people from team sports.

What I also observed is that more Individual Sports seem to create a better team spirit. For example, with swimming the sport requires a person to first perfect themselves in individual comparisons, then after these are complete, the respective swimmers will pair up into relays utilizing their specific strengths. What I observed here is although many times the members actually competed with each other, they were more willing to work together without fighting each other as much. Interestingly, in this situation, people who did NOT like each other were able to put aside their differences more readily and work together and support each other. I think the reason is it forced the more self-centered members to realize that there was no way around the fact that everyone was needed equally.

So basically, I wanted to see if this was everyone else's experience. It's possible that it could just be the local people in my hometown that have issues personality issues far worse than this. Which do you think does a better job of creating true team work? Team Sports or Individual Sports? Please post your reasons if you vote.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 04-25-2008, 05:16 AM
Administrator

Default RE: Sports: Which does a better job at making a team effort?

Ive coached at both the high school and the college level, and I am current a head coach of a varsity high school team. hockey is certainly a sport in which one player can REALLY make the difference, and while i have a few players on the team who i could certainly focus on, i try to make sure that it doesnt happen. it is more often that in a sport like hockey, a coach wont rely heavily on one player, but more of a core line. Im not a fan of putting your best three players on the same line, as it can weaken the rest of your lineup. plus, while i work to find good line chemistry, its also important to keep in mind that if one of your "big dogs" gets hurt, if you (as a coach) have put all of your efforts into that player, or that players concrete line, it can seriously damage your season.

I try to make sure that I never hold one player in the spotlight for too long, and I avoid favoring a certain player by making both positive and negative examples of that person. Ill never say "this guy always does everything right", but I will highlight something that player has done poorly, but then reinforce it with how he can improve, and i finish with pointing out something that the player did very well. that way, you can repremand players without really tearing down their ego. I find that some coaches praise one player constantly, and they build the entire flow of the team around that one player, but that seems very shortsighted to me, because what if that player gets hurt? I also dont like "me players", and im some cases, a team is focused on a single player because of the player himself, and the coaches inability to step in. While this will sometimes create some team connection, as they rally around one player, but at the high school level, it can create bad feelings as other players want a piece of the spotlight as well.

now, maybe i feel this way because ive never had one player who could carry the team in every aspect of the game...but i have coached a few very good players, and one player who i really think is an amazing hockey player. in his case, i did a few things differently, but when he missed games, we didnt change our game plan, we just had less offense without him. i knowingly catered to his wants, such as who he felt would work best with him on a line, but he is also a very quiet kid, so he doesnt demand much attention.
Old 04-25-2008, 08:56 AM
Super Moderator

Hockey does seem like a sport that would require a full team focused effort as it is certainly a more challenging set up. The set up from what I have observed seems as though it would eliminate the situation for as much reliance on one player. Interesting observations and points made. I never actually got to play formal hockey as weather is too warm for this to work and there aren't any local ice skating rinks either, but the times I played hockey, I liked it alot better than the other "team" sports we had.

You certainly seem to have a better strategy than most coaches I know as they like to rely on their "best" 100% of the time and when something happens to their best, their up a creek. Most coaches I know, will only focus on the best players in practice and pay little attention to improving the players that need more work, which to me has always seemed backwards as you want to have as close to even set up as possible. This way instead of the opposing team only having to worry about taking out one or two players who is obviously way better than the rest, they have to go up against a whole team which is a more difficult task.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first to 2000 posts

Old 04-25-2008, 09:23 AM

When I played soccer in high school, my senior year, our dumb ass coach relied on one player. We had 1 win the whole season, and maybe 3 goals scored the whole year. The years before that, I was at a different HS, and we all played as a team. We weren't the best, but we had more fun and won games as well. I think not only do you risk on what Patrick talks about, but you also can cause will ill within the team and cause friction that can bring the team down.
Old 04-25-2008, 09:31 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: TechmanBD

When I played soccer in high school, my senior year, our dumb ass coach relied on one player. We had 1 win the whole season, and maybe 3 goals scored the whole year. The years before that, I was at a different HS, and we all played as a team. We weren't the best, but we had more fun and won games as well. I think not only do you risk on what Patrick talks about, but you also can cause will ill within the team and cause friction that can bring the team down.
I'll certainly agree with that. If someone tries to put an "I" in team the word transforms into failure.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first to 2000 posts

Old 04-25-2008, 12:04 PM
Administrator

Honestly, during the entire season of practice, I dont know that I said more than a handful of things to my "top players". During games, I make a consious effort to both praise and repremand everyone...as even the best players in the world make mistakes.
Old 04-25-2008, 03:41 PM

The Best Team Ever.

Miracle on Ice
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
The neutrality of this article is disputed.
Please see the discussion on the talk page.(March 2008)
Please do not remove this message until the dispute is resolved.

U.S. captain Mike Eruzione (left) celebrates with Bill Baker (center) moments after scoring the decisive goal against the Soviet Union.The "Miracle on Ice" is the nickname given to a February 22 medal-round men's ice hockey game during the 1980 Olympic Winter Games, in which a team of amateur and collegiate players from the United States, led by coach Herb Brooks, defeated the Soviet Union 4-3.

The United States went on to win the gold medal by beating Finland (4–2) in their final game.

The Soviet Union took the silver by beating Sweden in their final game. Sweden received the bronze medal, and Finland finished 4th.

Contents [hide]
1 Background
2 "Do you believe in miracles?"
3 The U.S. aftermath
4 Soviet reaction
5 Cultural references
6 Team rosters
6.1 United States
6.2 Soviet Union
7 Officials
8 References
9 See also
10 External links

Old 04-25-2008, 03:59 PM
Administrator

i get chills everytime i hear Al Michaels...

"do you believe in miracles??? Yes!!"
Old 04-26-2008, 06:36 AM
Super Moderator

That is a very difficult question because it totally depends on the chemistry of the people you have on your team.

I think 1 Bad Mirada has a great coach philosophy. What worked in one game or one season many not work in another.

As a coach you have to be looking at putting the right mix of people at the right time to make things happen. Even the best athletes don't always perform when you need them too.

You are always going to have 1 or 2 athletes that are a cut above the rest but they need to be integrated because it is a team sport and not always get the lime light.

You can certainly see great examples in both camps in making a great team effort but again it depends on the person or persons personality involved.
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 04-26-2008, 08:27 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Jeremiah 29:11

That is a very difficult question because it totally depends on the chemistry of the people you have on your team.

I think 1 Bad Mirada has a great coach philosophy. What worked in one game or one season many not work in another.

As a coach you have to be looking at putting the right mix of people at the right time to make things happen. Even the best athletes don't always perform when you need them too.

You are always going to have 1 or 2 athletes that are a cut above the rest but they need to be integrated because it is a team sport and not always get the lime light.

You can certainly see great examples in both camps in making a great team effort but again it depends on the person or persons personality involved.
That is certainly a factor, but in your opinion as a whole do you think that Team Sports are teaching kids the value of a team effort or spirit like they are supposed to or do sports that are more individual based help create a better team effort or spirit because they first have to learn to put in their part?

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first to 2000 posts

Quick Reply: Sports: Which does a better job at making a team effort?