Notices
Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. Just about anything goes.

Stealth bomber crashes; pilots safe

Old 02-23-2008, 05:40 PM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stealth bomber crashes; pilots safe

$1.2B (cost of plane)/303M (current U.S. Population)= $3.96 cost for every person in the country

Well after that crash, I guess I will not be able to watch the movies this weekend.

I hope they learn from these crashes and can prevent them in the future. Those things are expensive.

I am glad to hear the pilots are okay.

Stealth bomber crashes; pilots safe

Story Highlights
The B-2 crashed shortly after takeoff

One pilot treated and released; the other is in stable condition

Aircraft was was taking off with three others on their last flight out of XXXX

Each B-2 bomber costs about $1.2 billion to build
(AP) -- A B-2 stealth bomber plunged to the ground shortly after taking off from an air base in XXXX on Saturday, the first time one crashed, but both pilots ejected safely, Air Force officials said.

The aircraft was taking off with three others on their last flight out of XXXX after a four-month deployment, part of a continuous U.S. bomber presence in the western Pacific. After the crash, the other three bombers were being kept on XXXX, said Maj. Eric Hilliard at Hickham Air Force Base in Hawaii.

At least one B-2 bomber had taken off safely from an Air Force Base but was brought back when another aircraft plunged to the ground.

There were no injuries on the ground or damage to buildings, and no munitions were on board. Each B-2 bomber costs about $1.2 billion to build.

Thick, black smoke could be seen billowing from the wreckage at Andersen, said Jeanne Ward, a resident in the northern village of XXXX who was on the base visiting her husband. Watch smoke rise from crash site

Ward said she didn't witness the crash but noticed a rising plume of smoke behind the base's air control tower.

She said crowds began to gather as emergency vehicles arrived. "Everybody was on their cell phones, and the first thing everyone wanted to know was did the pilots make it out in time," she said.

The Air Force, without identifying the pilots, said one was medically evaluated and released, and the other was in stable condition at XXXX Naval Hospital.

A board of officers will investigate what caused the aircraft to crash at 10:30 a.m., shortly after taking off from a runway. It was the first crash of a B-2 bomber, said Capt. Sheila Johnston, a spokeswoman for Air Combat Command at Langley Air Force Base in Virginia.

All 21 stealth bombers are based at an Air Force Base in XXXX, but the Air Force has been rotating several of them through XXXX since 2004, along with B-1 and B-52 bombers.

The rotations are designed to boost the U.S. security presence in the region while other U.S. forces diverted to fight in the Middle East.

The B-2 was first publicly displayed in 1988 and took its first flight a year later. The first bomber was delivered to Whiteman in 1993.

The bombers were scheduled to return to Missouri now that six B-52s from the 96th Bomb Wing have arrived to replace them.

The distinctive B-2 is described as a "multi-role bomber" that blends stealth technology with a highly efficient aerodynamic design. It is able to deliver large payloads at great range and has been used in combat over Kosovo, Afghanistan and Iraq.

The accident occurred 11 days after a Navy plane crashed into the ocean about 20 miles northeast of XXXX. Four aircrew members ejected from the EA-6B Prowler electronic warfare aircraft and were rescued by helicopter.

For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 02-23-2008, 08:43 PM

Default RE: Stealth bomber crashes; pilots safe

My thoughts and prayers are for the pilots during the investigation and recovery and a big Bravo-Zulu for the excellent flight record on this wonderful machine as well!
Old 02-27-2008, 11:30 AM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Stealth bomber crashes; pilots safe

I was told they were more expensive than that. Jeremiah, could you do me a favor and wipe out the listing of where those are located in that post. I don't like that they have them located all in one place. (Remember Pearl Harbor?) I'm just glad the pilots are okay.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts