Notices
Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. Just about anything goes.

Top 10 Driving Roads

Old 02-18-2008, 12:06 PM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Top 10 Driving Roads

This is one lucky guy to have driven all of these cars.

February 18, 2008

Top 10 Driving Roads
By Rich

1968Rogue

I can honestly say that life’s treated me pretty damn good. I’ve had a run as a high school social studies teacher immediately after graduating college, I owned an automotive electronics specialty store for 15 years and since then have lived the life of an automotive journalist combining my two life’s passions, driving some of the world’s greatest cars on some of this planet’s most challenging roads. This has led me to establish Automotive Traveler, an online-only digital magazine dedicated to the proposition that every trip is an adventure.

Many times I’ve been asked what’s my favorite car and what’s my favorite road and to be honest, I’ve never compiled a top ten list. That is until today when I went back and reviewed hundreds of stories and thousands of photographs I’ve taken over the last 25 years and come up with this list.

1. PCH (CA 1) in the Dodge Challenger Concept
2. The Inca Trail in a Ferrari 599
3. A832 in NW Scotland in a European Ford Focus coupe-cabriolet
4. The Furka Pass in Switzerland in an Aston Martin DB5 and
5. Driving from Tokyo to Sapporo, in a Japanese-spec Subaru WRX
6. Hafeet Mountain Road in the UAE in a basic rental car not available in the US
7. The Nurburgring in a Ford GT
8. Highway 61 in a 1961 Lincoln Continental
9. The Normandy beaches in a WW II-era Jeep
10. Route 66 in a 1968 Chevy Camaro SS/RS

After the jump I’d love to share some impressions of each of these combinations that I’ve cataloged.

1. Dodge Challenger Concept on California 1, the Pacific Coast Highway. The return of Dodge’s muscle car after 35 years on the sidelines was previewed by the 2006 Challenger Concept. Due to a combination of circumstances with the car being in the Bay Area for an event, I asked Chrysler’s Scott Brown if I could take it for a spin. We agreed that the drive from Carmel to the iconic Bixby Creek Bridge would suffice. I can tell you that there’s nothing quite as scary as driving a one-off, multi-million dollar concept out on public roads. It was truly a once in a lifetime experience.

2. In a 12 month run of once-in-a-lifetime experiences, my drive from London to Maranello in a Dodge Viper and Ford GT has to rank right up there with the Challenger/PCH drive. But what made the trip even more memorable was that I took it for six laps at the famed Nurburgring. Previously the closest I got to the ‘ring was Grand Turismo for PlayStation 2 so I can attest to the fact that it in no way will prepare you for your first trip to the Green Hell. Before Ford trusted me with the wheel they had Bridgestone’s top tire tester, Armin Hahne give me several laps of instruction…a good move on their part.

3. In 2006 I also drove from the Woodward Dream Cruise in Detroit to Chicago to LA on Route 66 with four muscle car owners for a feature produced for the departed Motor Trend Classic. The four cars included a 1967 Dodge White Hat Special, a 1969 AMC SC/Rambler, a 1970 Mustang, and a heavily modified 1969 Chevy Camaro SS/RS whose previous owner was a GM suspension engineer. I’ve driven many vintage muscle cars but never did one drive so much like a brand new car as this one. A simply unforgettable experience on the Mother Road.

4. In 2004, on the 60th anniversary of the D-Day invasions, I visited the beaches in Normandy and toured the French country side in a 1944 Willys Jeep that was restored to War Correspondent specifications. What made this trip so memorable, besides being hit by a car and nearly killed in the German Cemetery at La Combe, was that I stayed in a chateaux near St. Mere Iglese that was home in June 1944 of war correspondent Andy Rooney and famed photographer Robert Capa.

5. I’m a big James Bond buff and have cataloged and visited many
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 02-18-2008, 12:26 PM

Default RE: Top 10 Driving Roads

The one road I want to drive when I get my Challenger will be the Blue Ridge Parkway in late October. Nothing we have east of the Rockies compares to that drive for scenery and photo opportunities.
That'll be where my next avatar comes from - pics of that trip.
Old 02-18-2008, 01:41 PM

I-15 has some great straightaways to open up on. LOOK OUT FOR THE STATE TROOPERS IN THE CHARGERS!

i'm going on the autobahn in the end of februrary. the only downside is, we're drivong a VW Van. Not a turbo BMW!

we have to take 6 people. if we took 5 we could have a speedy go-fast zoom zoom ride.

BUT NOOOO!
i hope the bratwurst makes up for it.
(Lock the windows Dad! I got a big one comin' out the tailpipe!)
Old 02-18-2008, 02:10 PM
Super Moderator

(Lock the windows Dad! I got a big one comin' out the tailpipe!)
Would that be a banana? (Beverly Hills Cops)
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 02-18-2008, 02:17 PM
Super Moderator

Being able to drive the concept Challenger would certainly be a once in a lifetime experience that very, very, very few would have the pleasure of doing.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 02-18-2008, 04:18 PM
Super Moderator

BC, I will certainly be doing the BRP, grew up not far from it's I-64 entrance. Done it a few times on my bike.

To that point, will certainly do the 250 to monterey, VA, to where 33 goes into wv (240 takes you up there I think) then up to 33, back over to 29 and complete the circuit.

And even It'll be a lot o' fun to tool around the beautiful wild and wonderful WV! :-)

Old 02-18-2008, 04:46 PM

ORIGINAL: BootCamp

The one road I want to drive when I get my Challenger will be the Blue Ridge Parkway in late October. Nothing we have east of the Rockies compares to that drive for scenery and photo opportunities.
That'll be where my next avatar comes from - pics of that trip.
I rode that Parkway in a 2000 Ranger and it was beautiful! You will love it!
Old 02-18-2008, 10:09 PM

There is still NOTHING like going east along Clark Street in Des Moines, Iowa, in a Challenger and suddenly going over the edge of the hill between Third Street and Second Avenue. Because of the length of the hood and the angle of the drop, unsuspecting passengers inevitably scream, because it looks just like the car is heading off into thin air. I used to love scaring people who'd come to visit me.
Old 02-20-2008, 12:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Dragon's Tail oh yeah. Tenn. Hwy. 321 between Gatlinnburg and NC. I have driven the 318 curves and I will tell anyone who has a chance... Drive it! You will not be disapointed. Go to killboy.com and see what its all about. The best 318 curves you can tackle on a public highway I drove it in my Conquest and my Stealth. I would love to tell the stories. My son in his Stealth and me in mine. And a group of Miatas. Lets just say the time of my life. My son still talks about that instant in time. We had a blast.