Notices
Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. Just about anything goes.

Tropical Storm Fay?

Old 08-20-2008, 05:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Tropical Storm Fay?

Good luck to all you guys in Florida... I am sure many of us will have you in our thoughts.
Old 08-20-2008, 06:52 PM

Thanks Mopar, it looks like tomorrow will be very interesting. I'm waiting on the 11:00 update. It has a good chance to strengthen again as it remains stationary over the ocean.
Old 08-20-2008, 07:53 PM

I'm in Cocoa and we're STILL feeling it,nothing major but rain for the past two days and maybe 40-50mph gusts.
Old 08-20-2008, 08:00 PM

I just got my ZOOMERS delivered yesterday too and now noone in the area can install it before I leave this weekend for another two-three weeks
Old 08-21-2008, 08:34 AM

How are you Floridians doing now? I saw the flooding on TV.
The storm seems to be covering a large area.
Old 08-21-2008, 08:59 AM

70's guy is prolly feeling it the worst right now but I don't think they're going to get as much rain as we had down here.My brother works for Florida State Corrections and they're evacuating the prison in Sharpes becuase of flooding,prolly 2/3 of Brevard county is flooded.
Old 08-21-2008, 09:27 AM

Here in St. Augustine we were getting it really bad at about 3am but it was time to go to bed... I woke up at about 9 or 10 and it was still some pretty steady wind with some good gusts every now and then... as of right now the eye is pretty much right on us but it's not very organized... looking out the window to the beach I can't see any beach it's all water, it's about 5 feet up the beach ramp... the ramp is a inclined road a good 10-12ft.. and we sit adjacent to the biggest dune around, the house is another 5 ft maybe above the road. So were a pretty safe distance above water... It scared the hell out of me though 2 nights ago when they thought it was going to hit us as a hurricane or maybe a Catagory 2. I know for sure if we get a anything of a catagory 2 or more we defintaly can't stay here, it's evacuation for sure.
Old 08-21-2008, 09:47 AM

Ah heck just stay there and when you get flooded, blame it on the President.
Old 08-21-2008, 09:57 AM

MrKrisSullivan, how far do you live from the shore line? Is it nice to live by the beach?
Arent there a lot of category 2+ hurricanes?
Sounds like youd have to evacuate at least once a year on average.
Old 08-21-2008, 10:13 AM

Ohh man literally once I open my door I can walk to the ramp and down it it 1 minute and be on the beach or in the water for that matter.
Yeah man I love it, I grew up on the beach but not this close I was always like two blocks or maybe 5 mins. from the beach, but living on it is way sweet. Waking up and going to work is much nicer, if you know what I mean.
Yeah there are a lot of catagory 2+ Hurricanes but what you need to understand is for instance St. Augustine hasn't had a "direct hit" in over 40 years and that was a 2 or 3 im pretty sure (wasn't around) from what my mom says. This is a "direct hit" of a tropical storm. If you understand what im saying.
So if a catagory 2 hit say a couple hours south we would probably get the same thing were getting now in St. Augustine. Hurricane's are huge as you know, but a "direct hit" is a whole different story. When one hit's farther to the south or north we just get some of the outer bands of the storm which a lot of the time isn't worse than last night or this right now. But the closer it hits the more of the bands we get and the bigger they are.
I have only evacuated 3 times since I grew up here and am 23 now. Only once I can remember that it was mandatory. And that was for the island, here in St. Augustine the beach is part of an island, yep an island I live on by the beach sometimes I can't believe myself when I want to move[&:]. Big money New York[:-] But then theres, downtown which is part of the mainland of florida, to the south and north off of U.S. 1 highway.

Quick Reply: Tropical Storm Fay?