Notices
Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. Just about anything goes.

Unbelievable car story

Old 07-25-2007, 02:11 PM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unbelievable car story

I can't believe nobody has commented on this. I thought you were car guys. Take a look.

This guy was so lucky. You have to see this.

There are many picture to look at. Enjoy the story. Unbelievable!

A New York man retired. He wanted to use his retirement money wisely, so it
would last, and decided to buy a home and a few acres in Portugal.

The modest farmhouse had been vacant for 15yrs.; the owner and wife both had
died, and there were no heirs.

The house was sold to pay taxes.

There had been several lookers, but the large barn had steel doors, and they had been welded shut. Nobody wanted to go to the extra expense to see what was in the barn, and it wasn't complimentary to the property anyway......so, nobody made an offer on the place.

The NY guy bought it at just over half of the property's worth, moved in, and set about to tear in to the barn.......curiosity was killing him.

So, he and his wife bought a generator, and a couple of grinders.......and cut thru the welds.

What was in the barn...............?

Go to; www.intuh.net/barnfinds/afa70.htm and start wishing you had bought the place.

Click on the index for a faster download
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 07-25-2007, 03:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Unbelievable car story

I only wish the barn would have been in the good old USofA. Some of the cars I can relate to.. but if it were in the US. That would of been awsome. Think of the cars that would of been there. So I guess he will have some( furiners)... Oh wait they are the foreigners. Anyways, the door will be a knocking and the phone will be a ringing, because there are car guys in Portigual.
Old 07-25-2007, 04:37 PM
Super Moderator

Definitely a good story, but as lear said it would have been a lot better if the cars they had were actually interesting American muscle car models or other American classics.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 07-25-2007, 04:48 PM
Super Moderator

So you fix them up, sell them and then go buy the American Muscle cars. I bet you could have sold some of those to Jay Leno.
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 07-26-2007, 03:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is so true. Jay is kicking himself in the butt now for not getting to the gold mind fast enough.
Old 07-26-2007, 04:39 AM

They are some lucky people!!
Although I don't care for most of those cars, you still have to appreciate them.

How long ago did this happen? I remember reading about this sometime ago, I just don't know when.
Old 07-26-2007, 03:18 PM
Super Moderator

Sorry guys......another urband legend.

The referenced pictures (the full set is viewable here) were indeed taken in a barn somewhere in Portugal, but the "lucky find" aspect of the story doesn't quite ring true. As Tom Cotter of Sports Car Market magazine noted when he looked into this story:

Huge collections of cars don't just happen. Cars are accumulated — sometimes lovingly, sometimes not — by someone with a purpose. I was sure this collection was not assembled by accident; nobody would simply sell an old farm and fail to mention to the new owners the stash of old cars in the barn.

What he found out by tracking down the photographer was that the owner of the barn (and the 180 or so vintage cars contained within) was not a lucky buyer who had just purchased the property and was astonished to find a treasure trove in one of the farm buildings. The owner was an automobile dealer in the 1970s and 1980s who had built up his assemblage of cars over the years and stashed it in the barn (locking the structure up when it was full) and who simply hired a photographer recently to document his collection.