Notices
Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. Just about anything goes.

What would you like to see offered in the Camaro and Firebird line-up?

Old 03-10-2006, 02:50 PM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What would you like to see offered in the Camaro and Firebird line-up?

Last night I came up with an idea of what I'd like GM to offer as their transmission and engine line-up for the Camaro and Firebird models and was wondering what you guys would like GM to offer in the Camaro and Firebird line. Here is what I had listed.

Camaro engine line-up and transmission line-up

base 3.5L V6 (201hp & 222 ft-lbs of tq) 4-speed auto & 5 speed manual

Z28 5.3L V8 (303hp & 323 ft-lbs of tq) 4-speed auto & 5-speed manual

SS 6.0L V8 (400hp & 400 ft-lbs of tq) 4-speed auto & 6-speed manual

Firebird engine line-up

base supercharged 3.8L V6 (260hp & 280 ft-lbs of tq)
5-speed automatic & 6-speed manual

Formula 5.3L V8 (the VVT version with Ram-Air, around 320-340hp & 340-350ft-lbs of tq)
5-speed automatic & 6-speed manual

Trans-Am 6.2L V8 (VVT version, the new engine with more Ram-Airs, not sure about the hp & tq)
6-speed auto & 6-speed manual

Trans-Am Firehawk 7.0L V8 (Z06 engine) (add VVT, would produce over 510hp & over 475 ft-lbs of tq)
6-speed manual only

What do you want GM to offer? I have the Camaro marketed to compete against the Mustang and I have the Firebird aimed at what I think Dodge will do with the Challenger engine line-up. Give me some of your ideas and why you think it would be a good idea.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 03-10-2006, 05:12 PM

Default RE: What would you like to see offered in the Camaro and Firebird line-up?

My Camaro is not used to riding second class to the Firebird. It's all in the family, but no way.
Old 03-12-2006, 04:12 PM

Default RE: What would you like to see offered in the Camaro and Firebird line-up?

I think you got it right, perfect line up for GM. The Pontiac was always the top of the line for the F-body.
Old 03-12-2006, 08:12 PM

I'd like to see a Mid-Night Black w/metal flake 2007 Challenger lined up next to them. When it's all over I'd have nothing for either one but a smile..
Old 03-13-2006, 09:29 AM

ORIGINAL: Racer X

I think you got it right, perfect line up for GM. The Pontiac was always the top of the line for the F-body.
Well since there IS a Camaro concept and NOT a Firebird concept, I guess that will no longer be true. But, kidding aside, the power trains have been the same for some time.
Old 03-13-2006, 09:56 AM

Yeah, but they could do it with the Camaro/GTO with the different engine combo's.
Old 03-14-2006, 08:51 AM
Administrator

since there is currently no firebird in the works, and there is a Camaro, i think that on the off chance that we do see an LS7 zeta lite platform vehicle, it would be the Camaro, or possibly the GTO
Old 03-14-2006, 09:10 AM

LS7 :droooooool:
Old 03-24-2006, 12:58 AM
Super Moderator

I would doubt they would offer the LS7 in the Camaro since it is the Corvette's top engine. I could possibly see them putting it in the Firebird but not the Camaro. Actually, the Firebird did have some special models that the Camaro didn't have. The Firehawk was offered with the Firebird and if I'm not mistaken, the Camaro never got their own version of this model.

Racer X, I believe if GM decides to make the GTO instead of the Firebird, it will be in a different class attempting to appeal to a different crowd. If they do this (which I hope they don't) the Camaro will be probably be exclusively inexpensive performance and the GTO will probably be another attempt to compete with BMWs and Mercedes.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 03-24-2006, 09:22 AM

Default Reality Check!

ORIGINAL: RLSH700

I would doubt they would offer the LS7 in the Camaro since it is the Corvette's top engine. I could possibly see them putting it in the Firebird but not the Camaro.
Same was true of the LS1 at one time. Top GM engine in the Vette. Later put into the Camaro/Firebird. Before that it was the LT1. Top GM engine put into the Vette. Later put into the Camaro/Firebird. Now that's not to say they must continue this tradition, but that is how it has been in recent years.

Actually, the Firebird did have some special models that the Camaro didn't have. The Firehawk was offered with the Firebird and if I'm not mistaken, the Camaro never got their own version of this model.
Firebird - Camaro
TransAm - Z28
Firehawk - SS

Racer X, I believe if GM decides to make the GTO instead of the Firebird, it will be in a different class attempting to appeal to a different crowd. If they do this (which I hope they don't) the Camaro will be probably be exclusively inexpensive performance and the GTO will probably be another attempt to compete with BMWs and Mercedes.
This has been the idea with the new GTO from the start. Remember, there IS a Camaro Concept. When the cars were discontinued in 2002, Camaro was said to be on "hiatus" indicating a later come back. During the same time frame, Bob Lutz has said "The Firebird's day is gone." I don't like it, that's just what he said.

Quick Reply: What would you like to see offered in the Camaro and Firebird line-up?