Notices
Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. Just about anything goes.
View Poll Results: A poll
Minivan
68.42%
Crossover
10.53%
SUV
21.05%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Which would you REALLY choose?

Old 03-12-2008, 09:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which would you REALLY choose?

OK folks, my wife and I are about to have another addition to the family (no, not a baby, it's another retired racing greyhound - this would make a total of 3). Right now I haul the 2 that we have in my Ram pickup without any problem, but they're a bit squeezed (it's a regular Quad Cab), and there's no way I could fit 3 of them in there for any real length of time (greyhounds are pretty big dogs).

So...

I'm not giving up the Ram, but I will be in the market very soon for another vehicle with more passenger room. I kinda have my mind made up already as to what we should get, but I'd like to get your take as well. And the choices are...

Minivan - I can hear you all now - NO WAY! But consider this - you absolutely can't beat a minivan for room. Yes they have the "soccer mom" stigma... but they also are much cheaper, much roomier, much less expensive, much better on gas than an SUV. For those that still say "there's no way I could ever drive a minivan", I'm with ya... but practical considerations do have to come into play some time.

Crossover - like the new Dodge Journey, or GMC Acadia. Supposedly minivan-like without the stigma (at least for now)

SUV - if I go this route, it'd have to be a true full-size, and I don't think a Durango or Aspen would really cut it. It'd have to be a Suburban or Yukon XL. BUT... we're talking several thousand dollars more than a minivan, less interior space and much less MPG - something that can't be ignored in these days where gas is pushing $4 a gallon.

OK... what's it gonna be?
Old 03-12-2008, 09:33 AM
Administrator

Default RE: Which would you REALLY choose?

caravan rt.

i dont think that a crossover is going to suit your needs for interior space...
Old 03-12-2008, 10:01 AM
Super Moderator

W/ the lifetime Powertain warranty the Chrysler Minivans are looking better. And I may have said, but when I was down at the Philly show looking at the Challenger....a kid and his family all say "there it is!" the Caravan was right next to the Challenger; I figure there talking about the paragon of beauty in Hemi Orange...I figured wrong they ran up to the van and didn't even look at the Challenger....so that's an interesting experience.

Anyway, I'd go with the Minivan. They are the most flexible vehicles around, bar none. Get a towing package a utility trailer, and you've got tons more versatility than any thing else. Plus, you tend to get pretty reasonable gas mileage. Love my Sienna. But I will give the Chrysler/Dodge a run.

Old 03-12-2008, 10:09 AM

ORIGINAL: 1 Bad Mirada

caravan rt.
That'd be a cool choice if they actually made one
Old 03-12-2008, 10:17 AM

Minivan would be my top choice
Crossovers are STATION WAGONS!
SUV's are ok. they,like you said cost too much and get poor MPG.

HEMI Hybrid Durango?
http://www.dodge.com/en/2009/durango_hybrid/index.html
Old 03-12-2008, 02:27 PM
Super Moderator

Since AWD is not a priority for you, go with a minivan. My parents like them so much that my dad is talking about replacing his company car with another minivan. They make really nice vacation vehicles, they ride very smoothly yet not floaty either like some SUVs. The fuel economy on the highway is pretty easy to get in the lower to mid 20s. Although none of them are muscle car fast, the current Grand Caravan/Town & Country has acceleration times that are similar to the fastests full-sized SUVs. The Stow'N'Go seating would be very useful for when you need the room for your dogs and will be nice for anytime you need extra spaces for passengers. The other advantage of minivans is the fact that SUVs are a royal pain in the behind when it comes to getting into the third row. On the Expeditions, Suburbans, Explorers, Durangos, or any other SUV that has three rows of seating that I have ridden in are extremely annoying to get in and out of and on top of this, they are never comfortable in the third row. They either feel like you are sitting on the floor and/or your head will be hitting the ceiling (and I'm only 5ft 9in for crying out loud). Go with a Grand Caravan SXT is my advice since it has the Lifetime Warranty.

Crossovers are pretty much the same as SUVs when it comes to the inconvenience, the fuel mileage is a little better. They generally cost more than minivans while doing little to distinguish themselves.

I honestly don't understand what people hate about minivans, they are nice vehicles. Not buying one because girls by reputation drive them makes about as much sense as not buying the last generation Camaro, which mostly women were found driving them. What distinguishes a man is not what he drives, but who he is as a person. True men don't care about the image, they buy what they darn well want.

tdub, the problem with the Hybrid Durango is that they cost a lot of extra money that studies show you will probably never be able to make up the difference, plus the cost of new battery packs can cost over $7K. Then there is the safety hazards if you get into an accident. It really isn't worth it.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 03-12-2008, 08:34 PM
Super Moderator

Speak it RLSH!

Real men buy what suits their needs the best; and they don't look to others asking "What are my needs?" ....unless of course they're married!

Can I get an Amen, Married Brethren?

Old 03-13-2008, 07:42 AM

I've had a couple different Caravans, and liked them both. They are the most practical vehicles on the road for space, utility, and they are a good compromise for price and mileage concerns. I got nearly 200,000 miles out of my 93, so the right drivetrain will hold up well. They also both had more useable space than my 99 Durango, and got nearly double the MPG. For a family all purpose vehicle, I wouldn't hesitate to get another.
Old 03-13-2008, 11:04 AM

In your situation, definitely the minivan. And here is another factor to look into as they are retired race dogs, and I don't know the effectsof the racing, but their hips. DO they get bad because of the racing as they get older? The Minivan is lower to the ground than a SUV, therefore easier for them to climb into.
Old 03-13-2008, 12:32 PM

Get the minivan, it's the perfect compromise between the crossover and the SUV and will suit your needs perfectly. And could you take the kids to soccer practice and get milk on your way home?

Quick Reply: Which would you REALLY choose?