Notices
Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. Just about anything goes.
View Poll Results: A poll
XP
85.71%
Vista
14.29%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

XP or Vista

Old 02-29-2008, 02:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: And the winner is...

For some stupid reason my mind keeps reading "Quasimodo" LOL.. "the laptop gave me water"

Seems like a great multi-media laptop. I'm using a Toshiba Satellite that was manufactured in 2005 and its still running great, though not as high speed as yours but Toshiba does have good products in my opinion.
Old 02-29-2008, 02:30 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: MGDMike

For some stupid reason my mind keeps reading "Quasimodo" LOL.. "the laptop gave me water"

Seems like a great multi-media laptop. I'm using a Toshiba Satellite that was manufactured in 2005 and its still running great, though not as high speed as yours but Toshiba does have good products in my opinion.
LOL! It's certainly a name you don't see everyday, and one I'm sure I mispronounce every time I say it saying it differently each time. Reminds me of those mistranslations that I was told about in my marketing classes "Nova=it won't run." "Pepsi brings life=Pepsi brings your ancestors back from the dead." "KFC: finger licking good=bite your fingers off." etc.

Thanks, I'm glad your enjoying your laptop as well. My father is about to hand down his 2003 Toshiba Satellite to my mom so then she can have a computer to get better understanding of how to use a computer once we get his new Toshiba Tecra ready. After using Toshibas, I don't think I'll go to anything else voluntarily again.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 02-29-2008, 06:30 PM
Super Moderator

At this point I time I think Vista is a fart....I mean farce. Did Gates rip one?
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 02-29-2008, 07:36 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Jeremiah 29:11

At this point I time I think Vista is a fart....I mean farce. Did Gates rip one?
LOL! Probably had a brain full of gas when he made that system (and Office 2007 if you ask me[:'(]).

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first to 2000 posts

Old 03-01-2008, 04:19 AM
Super Moderator

RLSH700, sounds like a pretty nicely spec'd out machine.

Since you've got a tv capture card in that puppy, if you're looking to do free (well, actually I think the price now is 15 every 3 or 6 months the free service was utilizing an xml database from a commercial company who decided, they wanted money...I know...weird right ) DVR-edge or greatly reduced as well as other things (fun fantastic amazing....ok let me calm down...things), give this a whirl....

http://www.mythbuntu.org/

Also as far as getting computers this goes to everyone and anyone looking, do yourself a favor if you haven't already.....

1. Keep an eye on Dell's outlet shop, amazing deals there from TIME TO TIME, you have to be vigilant and strike when you see a really good one, they're not there all the time
2. One of my worst addictions......www.dealnews.com you will find jaw dropping money saving deals there. The rub of course, you must go there wisely and only purchase what you need OR INCUR the WRATH of the wife (for those married) and the debt of the card for those who aren't!

Congrats! On the purchase.

RLSH700/MGDMike, Toshiba's make great value notebooks. The satelites and tecras are venerable performers and are analogous to being the Toyota to Vaio's Lexus. Same quality, more affordable. I would never point anyone away from them.

As for Vista, Jeremiah, Every so often Microsoft feels compelled to produce a flop. Vista's the latest incarnation. Anyone remember Bob? I'm sure everyone remembers Win ME, everyone's saying this is the latest ME a non event unadopted piece of trite fluff on the computing landscape. They better watch out or more folks will be giving Ubuntu a spin, or decide to not buy any computers and just put terra soft's yellow dog on their PS3 and not even need to buy computers anymore. I'm getting closer to that, just to see what a PS3 computer would be like.

Old 03-01-2008, 04:39 AM

I personally prefer Vista. Have my PC set up for dual boot option to XP Pro or Vista at startup. Find myself in Vista 99% of the time. The other 1% is XP Pro for things like my cell phone software and such, which I have not upgraded to a Vista compatible version. Your Mileage May Vary of course...
Old 03-01-2008, 06:10 AM
Super Moderator

There in lies the problem;if there is a need to ever boot the other OS then the primary isn't serving you well enough.

Old 03-01-2008, 07:43 AM

ORIGINAL: DamnSkippy

There in lies the problem;if there is a need to ever boot the other OS then the primary isn't serving you well enough.
Actually, problem lies in that I'm too cheap to upgrade that one piece of s/w... saving for the Challenger ya know...
Old 03-01-2008, 08:04 AM
Super Moderator

touche`

Old 03-01-2008, 12:11 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: DamnSkippy

RLSH700, sounds like a pretty nicely spec'd out machine.

Since you've got a tv capture card in that puppy, if you're looking to do free (well, actually I think the price now is 15 every 3 or 6 months the free service was utilizing an xml database from a commercial company who decided, they wanted money...I know...weird right ) DVR-edge or greatly reduced as well as other things (fun fantastic amazing....ok let me calm down...things), give this a whirl....

http://www.mythbuntu.org/

Also as far as getting computers this goes to everyone and anyone looking, do yourself a favor if you haven't already.....

1. Keep an eye on Dell's outlet shop, amazing deals there from TIME TO TIME, you have to be vigilant and strike when you see a really good one, they're not there all the time
2. One of my worst addictions......www.dealnews.com you will find jaw dropping money saving deals there. The rub of course, you must go there wisely and only purchase what you need OR INCUR the WRATH of the wife (for those married) and the debt of the card for those who aren't!

Congrats! On the purchase.

RLSH700/MGDMike, Toshiba's make great value notebooks. The satelites and tecras are venerable performers and are analogous to being the Toyota to Vaio's Lexus. Same quality, more affordable. I would never point anyone away from them.

As for Vista, Jeremiah, Every so often Microsoft feels compelled to produce a flop. Vista's the latest incarnation. Anyone remember Bob? I'm sure everyone remembers Win ME, everyone's saying this is the latest ME a non event unadopted piece of trite fluff on the computing landscape. They better watch out or more folks will be giving Ubuntu a spin, or decide to not buy any computers and just put terra soft's yellow dog on their PS3 and not even need to buy computers anymore. I'm getting closer to that, just to see what a PS3 computer would be like.
Thank you, glad to hear you approve of the selection. I thank you for the suggestion as well, but for right now I'm going to use it for more basic purposes. Once I get a few other things taken care of, then I might look into that stuff. I'm not into Dell myself. We had Dells at my previous college and them and I do not get along at all. The only other brand I would consider would be an HP, but I'm very brand loyal when it comes to computers. If I was buying a computer based on the price, I could have gotten a Dell at a discount from one of my other family members as the company they work for offers discounts for they buying Dell computers.

I think you hit the hammer on the head about MS. They like to follow the New Coke philosophy, make a good product the first time, then make a terrible one that no one likes so then they will pay money to go back to the old product.

It makes me think of one of my favorite jokes from Futurama
"But your highness, her Slurm will taste fowl.
Of course, it will. We will market it as New Slurm and when everyone hates it we will market the old Slurm as Classic Slurm and make millions in the process. HAHAHAHAHA![sm=badbadbad.gif]"

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first to 2000 posts