Notices
Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. Just about anything goes.
View Poll Results: A poll
XP
85.71%
Vista
14.29%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

XP or Vista

Old 03-02-2008, 01:34 PM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: And the winner is...

I do remember Windows ME, and it was garbage. Ultimately, I think VISTA will prevail because of the huge investment Microsoft has in it. It is a 64bit OS that is supposed to take advantage of multicore processors.

Unfortunately, it was probably going to take 2 years before the tires connect.
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 03-03-2008, 04:20 PM

Well, I'm going to have to disagree with the assessment of Toshiba's laptops... I bought one in December; from day one, it has had an intermittent display problem that causes the screen to go blank occasionally, and it is on it's THIRD hard drive in a little over two months.... and Vista absolutely sucks! If I could trade this turd back to Circuit City for an HP, I'd do it in a heartbeat- preferably one loaded with XP!
Old 03-03-2008, 05:25 PM
Super Moderator

All I can tell you is I used to support hundreds of them (both satelites and tecras). They were used by mobile sales force and endured abuse and had very little issues.

Jeremiah, I don't think Vista will prevail as much as users (sheeple) will be coerced into "this is what you're gettin', enjoy" and for the most part, indentured patronage sits well with them at any cost.

Not to beat a dead horse...but anyone who hasn't gone to www.ubuntu.com and download and burn an ISO, is doing themselves a disservice. You can run it live from the CD, fairly well on a machine w/ half a gig and a 1ghz cpu.

I don't claim to be OS-tradamus, but I don't see Vista as the future. I know companies are starting to adopt now, but that again is largely under a form coercion for official support.

Seems like lT folks are big on CYA (seems like they like their checks) so, threaten to not "Officially Support" and they're buying the next available version so they can point a finger and save a job. OK, a little jaded w/ the status quo.

Old 03-04-2008, 11:46 AM
Super Moderator

I think it would be best for Microsoft to recognize Vista as a huge sunk cost and try again. If they are not careful, they could follow the path of the Big Three to these smaller companies if they keep making systems that people don't like. They seem to be in a rut right now in just about everything they are in. They lost the HD-DVD vs. Blu-Ray war. The XBOX 360's issues have not helped them in their image for quality. Vista is giving them headaches. Some of their other joint ventures are not doing well either.

TeeWJay426, it's not unheard of for people to get lemons. It happens with everyone sooner or later with any brand. Just most of the people I have talked that work on computers to have recommended Toshibas and I have checked and that is also what they use so their not just saying that to keep themselves in business.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 03-04-2008, 12:32 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah, there was a time back in the dizzy, where IBM used to laugh at their own creation (the PC) and knew, just knew no one was getting off their big iron......well, maybe M$FT will get there just deserts.