Dodge Challenger Forums

Dodge Challenger Forums (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/)
-   Sights N Sounds (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/sights-n-sounds-10/)
-   -   Production vs Concept comparison pictures (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/sights-n-sounds-10/production-vs-concept-comparison-pictures-2339/)

Jeremiah 29:11 01-16-2008 08:03 PM

Production vs Concept comparison pictures

Guys I am really struggling and I am hoping it is like Paladin said they are bad pictures.

Take a look at these pictures and tell me honestly what you think.

Right off the bat for me the rear end looks skinny just like they said in Part 7 of the video in redletter and the rectangular exhausts look small and almost square.

Everybody is entitled to their opinion so speak freely.

[IMG]local://upfiles/17/33883F77F3FF4F80B3CFA339BE7CB299.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/17/65C76790F8294642984937EE99D67521.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/17/7B11E5A8D4EA4444A08C7EC4A33D2EED.jpg[/IMG]

stevelegel 01-16-2008 08:17 PM

RE: Production vs Concept comparison pictures

I don't like tail spoiler, and liked cross hairs in grill, eventhough I am a 1970 guy at heart.

RoswellGrey 01-16-2008 09:15 PM

The shape of the side rear window was better on the Concept Challenger (it was more like the original). Everything else, though, especially the '70-style grille and centered backup light, is better on the production car. I didn't like the crosshair pattern on the concept and thought the concept's rear lights were too gaudy.

kramtrah 01-16-2008 09:27 PM

overall I am really pleased with what I have seen today though the proportions differ from what we have seen the last two years on the concept. The fact being it stayed true to the original that we are probably over analyzing to some extent given our excitement with it all. My biggest beef would still be the mirror mounting, otherwise I am pleased.

RoswellGrey 01-17-2008 12:42 AM

Also, Jeremiah, it might leave you a little cold seeing pictures of a Challenger out in the snow instead of on a beach or a nice city street in the summer. ;)

Paladin06 01-17-2008 12:56 AM

As for the sliming of the rear end I like it better. I have a wall full of 1/18 scale 1970 and 1971 Dodge Challengers in display cases and there is nothing fat about the butt on those cars. The new look is closer to ther early Challenger.

The rear lights are 1970 Challenger rebirth done dead right!!!

As for the nose they got it dead right for a 1970 rebirth.

Now for the ducktail spoiler, I prayed at night for that to be on the car.

The tail pipe exhaust tips are more of the 1970 Plymouth Cuda then Challenger, but I like them better without the split

deranged 01-17-2008 06:03 AM

I don't know why anyone is picking this car apart? If this doesn't make you happy to be a Dodge enthusiast and excited to own a new Challenger then you had better go out and buy an original or a Mustang or.......... urrrrp, a Camaro. I can't imagine them getting it any closer to the original Challenger other than to make an exact replica. I don't see anything that will keep me from owning this car, no question about it. It blows the Mustang in the weeds as far as retro appeal. The Camaro is just plain UGLY in comparison. Yet we still have people unhappy about the glovebox door or whatever. This thing is beautiful and is exactly what this guy has been waiting 30 plus years for. BRAVO DODGE! [sm=smiley32.gif]

anthem SS 01-17-2008 07:39 AM

Being a fairly "new" mopar fan, I like the "intended" production car. The old style gas filler was not on the concept but is in the production model - that was a nice touch. I'm with some of you guys on the rear spoiler, loose it all together or do the T/A two post style (tastefully of course). And like someone elsewhere said, if they can bring the concept rear tailights to the aftermarket, that would be cool if you really wanted them, i know "i'd" look into them.

Albeeno 01-17-2008 10:05 AM

Jeremiah, if what you're asking is do we like the production model better than the concept? My own, personal, answer is a resounding and emphatic NO!!!!

If you look at the 2nd comparison photo the noticeable difference in hood length is the biggest kicker for me. The hood on the production should be longer; it just looks "stubby" or pushed-in from the front and in the rear. The whole thing just looks scrunched in...don't know how else to describe it. I just shared the pic witha buddy at work and he said "it looks like a Nissan"! Your guess is as good as mine on that one. Nevertheless, it looks more like a restyled 2 door Charger then it does the true coupe Challenger concept.

I gotta be honest - I'm not lovin this thing nearly as much as I did before these teaser pics started popping up left and right. Do I hate it? No. Do I love it? Well, not exactly. Maybe it's the boring silver color, maybe it's the cheezy B pillar, maybe it's because I'm not actually seeing it in person, maybe it's the Blue Oval blood I have racing thru my veins, but whatever it is I'm just not feelin it...

mopar2ya 01-17-2008 10:21 AM

ORIGINAL: deranged

I don't know why anyone is picking this car apart? If this doesn't make you happy to be a Dodge enthusiast and excited to own a new Challenger then you had better go out and buy an original or a Mustang or.......... urrrrp, a Camaro. I can't imagine them getting it any closer to the original Challenger other than to make an exact replica. I don't see anything that will keep me from owning this car, no question about it. It blows the Mustang in the weeds as far as retro appeal. The Camaro is just plain UGLY in comparison. Yet we still have people unhappy about the glovebox door or whatever. This thing is beautiful and is exactly what this guy has been waiting 30 plus years for. BRAVO DODGE! [sm=smiley32.gif]
AMEN to that!! Personally, I think it is SWEEEEET! Only thing that stood out to me as fairly "odd" was the fuel cap is on the wrong side... think I'll be able to learn to cope with it though. ;)

Rich Knapp 01-17-2008 10:24 AM

I also feel unless they did a 100% rebirth it is very close and looks so sweet and we all should be happy. I am one of the people that would love to see a "Go Wing" ( pedistal mount ) option to replace the duck bill. But thats me duck bills always said camaro or firebird to me. Taller or pedistal mount spoilers always said MOPAR MUSCLE to me.

Paladin06 01-17-2008 11:18 AM

Fort those who don't like it I say...... thank you. :D You made my wait time shorter and perhaps even saved me a $ or 2.:D:D

Paladin06 01-17-2008 11:19 AM

Dare I say, I hope more people don't like it. That will make my cost to own and wait time better.:D

BootCamp 01-17-2008 11:26 AM

ORIGINAL: Jeremiah 29:11

Guys I am really struggling and I am hoping it is like Paladin said they are bad pictures.

Take a look at these pictures and tell me honestly what you think.

Right off the bat for me the rear end looks skinny just like they said in Part 7 of the video in redletter and the rectangular exhausts look small and almost square.

Everybody is entitled to their opinion so speak freely.
Would I prefer a pure/exact replica of the concept car? To almost every detail, sure I would (although I prefer the production taillights more than the concept's "bar").

But the thing is, the production car is what we have available to us. The real question should be:
If the concept car didn't exist, and the production car was the only one you'd seen, would you like it enough to buy it?
I'd still answer with an emphatic YES!

cncpt2prod! 01-17-2008 11:27 AM

First off, I like the Concept better, but apparently we can't have it all. [&:] The production car looks narrower, the rear end is shorter, the nose slopes down and is shorter, spoiler and it's missing the Challenger logo on the side rear. Overall, they removed some of the authentic retro essence and integrated all the current safety and assembly line requirements into the car. It looks like they got as close as they could; I think given the MSPR and the safety regs, it's as close as they could get to the concept. Some good photos next month, and maybe seeing a new one on the dealer showroom will be pretty cool. I like it better than the Mustang and much better than the Camaro. I like it enough to pay MSPR for the 5.7L VCT manual (but not more). I know they said the concept was too big (for whatever reason), but I wish they could have just taken the concept and shrunk its identical shape by 5%. [&:] The challenge for me will be to get the concept out of my mind!

dodgedriver 01-17-2008 01:15 PM

Yes I agree with having to forget the concept, Im sure they will loose the concept photos and replace them with the production model after Feb 6, I think that they over marketed the concept car a little bit, Its all over the place..
I also think that the tail end is the weakest part of the car, also what I dont like is the two strips running down the roof which is not on the concept, and another thing I notice is that they have a large wide black stripe along the bottom to make it appear thinner, what about if the whole car is black???
We could pick it apart forever with just photos, the final say will to actually see one in person, I sure am glad I dont have a deposit for one at way over MSRP though!!!

From allpar.com:
Chrysler assures us that the production car will be practically indistinguishable from the concept.

I guess that all depends on how loosely you use the words "indistinguishable" and "practically"

dodgedriver 01-17-2008 01:31 PM

Another thing I just realized, Is where are you supposed to put the front license plate? It's going to look awful on the bumper! Im in CA and the cops are absolutely anal retentive about this issue...

Justinec101 01-17-2008 01:46 PM

Ouch, you're gonna have to drill holes into that perfectly good front end?

deranged 01-17-2008 02:02 PM

ORIGINAL: Paladin06

Fort those who don't like it I say...... thank you. :D You made my wait time shorter and perhaps even saved me a $ or 2.:D:D
I'm feelin' that brother!

Go ahead and get out of line, there's alot of Mustangs over there at the Ford dealer. They've probably got a new "special limited edition" something over there to sell you. :D

Cuda340 01-17-2008 03:18 PM

Check out Part VII of the designer video series. Michael Castiglione and Alan Barrington talk about the differences between the concept car and the 2008 production version. Also, they give props to web site such as dodgechallenger. See:

http://www.redletterdodge.com/2008/0.../#comment-1666

Paladin06 01-17-2008 04:23 PM

No front plate here in AZ:D:D

ORIGINAL: dodgedriver

Another thing I just realized, Is where are you supposed to put the front license plate? It's going to look awful on the bumper! Im in CA and the cops are absolutely anal retentive about this issue...

kramtrah 01-17-2008 05:13 PM

I'm not sweating' the small stuff as I see it. I am pleased overall and I'm betting that we all will be once it is sitting in our driveways

cncpt2prod! 01-17-2008 05:46 PM

ORIGINAL: dodgedriver

and another thing I notice is that they have a large wide black stripe along the bottom to make it appear thinner, what about if the whole car is black???
I saw that black line, and don't care for it. I thought it was temporary to these show (or test) models. What is that line. Is it a plastic strip, paint or some sort of sticker?

Albeeno 01-18-2008 05:11 AM

I'm not necessarily giving up hope on the Challenger. I think we all had to know it wasn't going to be an exact replication of the concept. Honestly, it does appear to remain fairly faithful. I think I just need to see one in person. If that baby was dressed up in Plum Crazy Purple or Black or Sublime Green, I'm sure it would've looked just fine to me. I think I will reserve any further judgement until which time I actually see one live and in the flesh.

[quote]

ORIGINAL: deranged

ORIGINAL: Paladin06

I'm feelin' that brother!

Go ahead and get out of line, there's alot of Mustangs over there at the Ford dealer. They've probably got a new "special limited edition" something over there to sell you. :D

Cuda340 01-18-2008 08:46 AM

We all know that concept cars are always better than production models because they do not have cost or safety constraints. I never expected to see carbon fiber body parts or neon tailights. I did expect to see different bumper treatments because of government crash test standards.

Overall, however, I think that Dodge gave us a great car. [sm=drlove.gif]

I already bought a Challenger key chain. Now, all I need is a $40K key for my Hemi-Orange SRT! [sm=gears.gif]

Paladin06 01-18-2008 09:42 AM

I'm with you. I too have several key chains and now need the key.

ORIGINAL: Cuda340

We all know that concept cars are always better than production models because they do not have cost or safety constraints. I never expected to see carbon fiber body parts or neon tailights. I did expect to see different bumper treatments because of government crash test standards.

Overall, however, I think that Dodge gave us a great car. [sm=drlove.gif]

I already bought a Challenger key chain. Now, all I need is a $40K key for my Hemi-Orange SRT! [sm=gears.gif]

lear4406 01-18-2008 12:33 PM

Ahhhh the fever pitch is building. You can feel the electricity in the air. I have benn waiting for over 30 years for this car. I had almost given up hope. But Dodge came through for me and anyone else who wants a piece of American Mopar Muscle. They have done a great job and I will not pick it to death. Who thought 5 years ago you could get a Challenger and A Hemi together. That would of seemed impossible and highly unlikely. We get our chance... run with the big dogs or stay on the porch, your choice. You will not hurt my feeling at all. Thank you, thank you, thank you Dodge:D You have done an awsome job and brought us something we only dreamed of years ago. I am a street warrior and I have my steed back. Happy times are here again from a die hard Mopar guy who has stayed true to the cause. So Mopar to ya and if you don't like the Challenger you see, you can order the little things you want to make it more Retro. The after market and mopar performance will be selling upgrades and body pieces to make your Challenger... well your Challenger. Good luck;)

SRT8Challenger 01-18-2008 04:15 PM

Well said!!!!!!!!!
I can't wait to meet a Mustaaaaaaaang at a red light!

kramtrah 01-18-2008 04:40 PM

ORIGINAL: lear4406

Ahhhh the fever pitch is building. You can feel the electricity in the air. I have benn waiting for over 30 years for this car. I had almost given up hope. But Dodge came through for me and anyone else who wants a piece of American Mopar Muscle. They have done a great job and I will not pick it to death. Who thought 5 years ago you could get a Challenger and A Hemi together. That would of seemed impossible and highly unlikely. We get our chance... run with the big dogs or stay on the porch, your choice. You will not hurt my feeling at all. Thank you, thank you, thank you Dodge:D You have done an awsome job and brought us something we only dreamed of years ago. I am a street warrior and I have my steed back. Happy times are here again from a die hard Mopar guy who has stayed true to the cause. So Mopar to ya and if you don't like the Challenger you see, you can order the little things you want to make it more Retro. The after market and mopar performance will be selling upgrades and body pieces to make your Challenger... well your Challenger. Good luck;)
no way to say it better than this. Here here to the year of the Challenger!
[sm=groupwave.gif]

mac 01-18-2008 05:27 PM

What you do is buy the 40,000 dollar challenger and have the dealership throw in the key chain for free. An expensive way to obtain a free key chain.

70sguy 01-18-2008 05:59 PM

I really liked the teaser exhaust tips and fit nicely with the valance, tail lights aren;t as nice but exhaust fit was more important than solid light bar

mopar2ya 01-18-2008 06:01 PM

Or... buy the $40,000 keyring and hope they throw in a challenger for free. It's a good way to get a free challenger... ;)

mac 01-18-2008 06:47 PM

I refuse to pay over MSRP on that key chain!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mopar2ya 01-18-2008 07:34 PM

hahaha... now that was funny!! :D

Jeremiah 29:11 01-18-2008 08:13 PM

Yep, let's all go see it in person. Let's go to the Chicago Auto show together.

Albeeno 01-20-2008 06:02 AM

It sure will be interesting...

ORIGINAL: SRT8Challenger

Well said!!!!!!!!!
I can't wait to meet a Mustaaaaaaaang at a red light!

MFIllini5 01-20-2008 08:03 PM

I think all the differences that everyone pointed out between the concept and the production car could be termed "minor" as it relates to the car's general (at a distance) appearance, with the exception of how Dodge made it "shorter, stubbier, and more narrow". Due to these things it actually lost some of its smoother curves. The longer hood and trunk of the concept look significantly better than the production car.

Overall, the production Challenger looks 10 times better than any other car on the road. If Dodge had not made the above changes it would look 50 times better than any other car on the road though.

cncpt2prod! 01-21-2008 09:24 AM

Why did they make those changes? Is it only because of the safety and cost constraints? Or could they have come closer to the concept (whie also meeting safety and cost constraints)?

The production car looks good, but the concept is really in another league. I wish they could have (or would have) kept the longer nose/tail, maintained the smother lines and made it wider (maybe even lower). It's a little too much charger-esque. But I'm looking forward to seeing it on the road. It's going to be a real competitor to the well-selling Mustang.

Paladin06 01-21-2008 09:39 AM

Watch the 7th video in the Dodge Red Letter Day blog and all explained.

ORIGINAL: cncpt2prod!

Why did they make those changes? Is it only because of the safety and cost constraints? Or could they have come closer to the concept (whie also meeting safety and cost constraints)?

The production car looks good, but the concept is really in another league. I wish they could have (or would have) kept the longer nose/tail, maintained the smother lines and made it wider (maybe even lower). It's a little too much charger-esque. But I'm looking forward to seeing it on the road. It's going to be a real competitor to the well-selling Mustang.

Jeremiah 29:11 01-21-2008 02:47 PM

If the rectangular exhaust doesn't look like this 2008 Challenger picture.....I will cry.

The spy pictures of the silver Challenger looked nothing like this. Hopefully it was a bad picture or a bad mule.

This picture is beautiful, even without the divided exhaust like back in the day.

[IMG]local://upfiles/17/40670F034EFB4C6B871BA1FEDEF59C97.jpg[/IMG]