Notices
Appearance Talk about your interior and exterior mods here.

Hood Vents

Old 12-05-2008, 09:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hood Vents

Can anyone confirm the hood vents on the SRT8 Challengers are functional? Second, will the SRT vents fit in the R/T hood?

I thought the R/T hood vents were functional for allowing heat to escape but I just realized that the vents do not have any holes in them, they just look like they have holes
Old 12-05-2008, 11:23 AM

Default RE: Hood Vents

the hood on all Challengers are the same I think, the holes are non fuctional, but there is a screen kit that you can buy that allows cool air to enter the engine bay, my only concern would be air pressure buckling the hood or forcing pressure under the hood on the hood latch?
Old 12-05-2008, 11:44 AM

As I understand it, the SRT hood scoops are "functional" in that they allow cool air into the engine compartment. The SE and R/T scoops are non-functional. I've never seen anything about the SRT hoods being reinforced or anything, but they might be.
Old 12-05-2008, 01:44 PM

RoswellGrey is correct.

ORIGINAL: RoswellGrey

As I understand it, the SRT hood scoops are "functional" in that they allow cool air into the engine compartment. The SE and R/T scoops are non-functional. I've never seen anything about the SRT hoods being reinforced or anything, but they might be.
Old 12-06-2008, 04:28 AM

My hood vents route air to the exhaust manifold area. Shine a flashlight through the holes, you will see the beam on the inside of the hood. Mine could be different but I am telling you the truth. My car is a six speed maybe automatics are different.
Old 12-06-2008, 10:00 AM

The six-speeds might indeed be different. When I was referring to the R/Ts, it was based on what some people have said about their cars, all of which had automatics.
Old 12-06-2008, 11:29 AM

The 2008 srt has an automatic and the hood scoop is functional. There is a little boot with a oblong opening beneath the scoop to allow outside air into the engine compartment to help keep that hemi cool.
Old 12-06-2008, 11:31 AM

Yes, 70sguy. I said that earlier. But apparently, the hood scoops on the R/Ts with manual transmissions are "functional," too.
Old 12-06-2008, 02:48 PM
Super Moderator

Like I have said many times before on this forum, to me a functional hood scoop is one that allows RAM air into the intake for performance and not just for cooling the engine compartment. That being said, it sounds like form an engineering perspective they could never get it to work right on the new Challenger because of air flow issues.
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 12-07-2008, 05:23 AM

I'm glad you said "to me" because it is functional. They never said it was a intake functional hood scoop. It serves they very purpose it was designed to.

ORIGINAL: Jeremiah 29:11

Like I have said many times before on this forum, to me a functional hood scoop is one that allows RAM air into the intake for performance and not just for cooling the engine compartment. That being said, it sounds like form an engineering perspective they could never get it to work right on the new Challenger because of air flow issues.

Quick Reply: Hood Vents