Notices
Appearance Talk about your interior and exterior mods here.

Hood Vents

Old 02-09-2009, 02:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Hood Vents

The new scoops are 1 piece, the vent has a soft plastic extension that feeds through the opening in the hood. You will not need any tools for the job. Just slip a credit card or something like a creditcard between the hood and the bottom of the vent, it will unlock the little snap part that locks the vent in place.
Then simply fish the new vent in the hole, the extenstion will come out of the hole on the bottom side of the hood, just snap in the new vent and pull the extenstion through the hole and it will snap into place.
Its really that easy. I could have done 3 cars in the time it took to type this.
Old 06-24-2009, 03:36 PM

Location: I have moved to Challengertalk.com as a direct result of this site not being able to handle security

Originally Posted by canadiancanuck
ok so you are all going to laugh .... after this was posted I figured hey what the hell I'll go out and look more at it, so 10mins later I attempted the swap, was FREAKIN easy.... ok , so i used a piece of paper towel, a very thin flat head screw driver and rivet remover..... ok so

your local auto store should have a rivet remover.... it's like a screwdriver but it looks sort of like a Y at the end of it, it designed to assist in removing the plastic clips without breaking them.... anyways.

anyways I placed the rolled/ folded papertowel and took the flat screwdriver and gently started to tuck the screwdriver and papertowel into the bottom of the lip of the insert, and gently pryed up, enough to get the rivet tool under the lip of the scoop, so I removed the screwdriver and left the rivet tool ontop of the papertowel and slowly slid it to the center of the scoop, and gently pryed up and it popped the scoop out, it was really quite simple and easy, I fed the rubber flange through and popped the new scoops into place and pressed the center of the scoop til it clicked into place.

if you lift from the center of the scoop it releases both of the clips, when you look at the new inserts the clips look really long, well they aren't and they do pop up very easy.
This post helped a ton! I wasn't sure how to proceed, but after reading this, I went out, folded a blue shop paper towel into quarters, put it on the hood and got to work.

I have one of those 4-piece craftsman gasket remover sets (small screw driver handles with one straight spike, one 180 degree spike, one 45 degree(?) and one other curved one..) I used the straight spike to pry the bottom of the louver up, stuck the screwdriver in to release the tabs, and used the 180 spike to hook onto the lip of the air blocker and pull it out.

New ones snapped right in.
Old 02-12-2011, 05:17 AM

Now is this the same for ALL Challenger hoods? Or is the SRT the only one that the hood vents allow air into the engine compartment?
Old 02-15-2011, 09:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Only the SRT hood scoops come "functional" from the factory.