Notices
Appearance Talk about your interior and exterior mods here.

Manual Shifter Boot on Auto

Old 04-05-2010, 04:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shifter mod.

I agree , changing the auto shift to a look-a-like 6 speed is awesome. After doing the swap and using the original knob I decided to work on using the 6 speed pistol grip. Looks just like a factory 6 speed now. Best $100.00 I spent yet. Took me maybe 1 hour, but given a 2nd chance I could probablly do it in half the time now.
Old 04-11-2010, 12:55 PM

In order to put on the shifter boot on you have to remove the chrome trim ring, right! Where are the clips located on the trin ring, am I supposed to stick something under the trim ring and pry it up? I am affraid of cracking the trim ring, it seems to be on pretty tight.
Old 04-14-2010, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by moparmike63
In order to put on the shifter boot on you have to remove the chrome trim ring, right! Where are the clips located on the trin ring, am I supposed to stick something under the trim ring and pry it up? I am affraid of cracking the trim ring, it seems to be on pretty tight.
I was able to apply a slight bit of pressure (pushing inward and slightly upward)...and that's all it took to get it moving up and out. It is tight but it will move with the right amount of pressure. Some people have used different plastic scapers and such to pry the trim ring up, but I found that it was not necessary in my case. Popping the top of the console up was a bit harder as it required some effort to get it loose. Found that if I griped the cup holder area, I was able to lift the rear section of the console up.....just take your time....
(You need to lift the top of the console in order to remove the stifter indicator)
Old 04-13-2011, 11:58 AM

Hi Joe
I am from Switzerland and i do have a Challenger SRT8 2009n (automatic).

As i was reading your blog, i ordered a knob gearshift with a boot from a RT model:

I doesn't fit at all. not the frame, not the boot (to big, could not really shift forward and backward): so I guess i have to order the SRT8 part.
Or did you just took out the leather boot and placed/glued it into the original frame.
thanks for your feedbadk
habe a great day
clemens
Old 04-14-2011, 06:14 AM

First off, the shifter cannot be used...perhaps you can find another use for it...such as a paperweight or mount it on your favorite easy chair so that you can practice shifting while watching a race on TV. Or perhaps you can find someone with a Mopar that would like to buy it. Unfortunately, the only part you will be using is the boot, as I found I had to reuse my trim ring since the mounting tabs seem to be different. I just removed the boot (I believe I had to cut the mounting tabs off) then just put the boot and trim ring together...without any glue and mounted it in it's original location. The boot itself will seem big, but it will "loosen-up" with use...the leather needs to "form itself, so to speak". I did find that when I frist installed mine, I would have to push a bit harder than normal to get the car in park...no issues or problems now. You will have to use your original shifter handle or buy an aftermarket shifter like I did. Yes, it's a bit of money just to get the boot but Chrysler doesn't sell the boot by itself. Just returned from the Mopars at the Strip show in Las Vegas Nevada, and again not one person could tell that my Challenger (an '08) wasn't a 6-speed. This is a very easy and quick Mod. that really changes the interior's look.....let me know if you have any issues.....And by the way...welcome to the forum....would love to drive my SRT through your mountains...talk about a dream ride. I was only in your country once, and I drive a rented Ford.
Old 04-23-2011, 01:45 PM

Has anyone tried an after market universal boot or does the boot have to be an OEM boot?
Old 04-25-2011, 12:50 PM

Due to the shape of most all aftermarket boots....they will not fit. Compare the shape of the Challengers to the aftermarket and you will find they are different.....(others have already looked into it and none worked.....)