Notices
Challenger News This section is only for articles pertaining to, or containing information about the new Dodge Challenger.

Anything to attract a crowd at Detroit auto show

Old 01-26-2007, 09:25 PM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anything to attract a crowd at Detroit auto show

Anything to attract a crowd at Detroit auto show

Angela Forgeron
For CanWest News Service

Friday, January 26, 2007

DETROIT -- They are sexy, beefy and funny -- I'm not talking about the ideal man to take home to mom but the trends at this year's North American International auto Show.

SEXY STYLE

In one of the most show-stopping moments, Acura unveiled its sensuous Advanced Sports Car Concept. There's big business under the long, sleek hood of the exotic low-slung two-seater: a powerful V10 engine. It's also a preview of what's to come for the long-awaited NSX.

Not to go unrivalled, Lexus showed off its second-generation LF-A Concept, also powered by a V10 that produces more than 500 horsepower and a top speed exceeding 320 kilometres an hour.

"The first LF-A was pure concept," says Bob Carter, Lexus vice-president and general manager. "This latest concept is much closer to a vehicle that we would bring to market."

Other cars that prompted a second look in the sexy department included the Chrysler Nassau, a hint of what's to come for the next-generation 300.

The Jaguar C-XF caught my attention so much that it caused me to trip and nearly fall. It's unlike any Jaguar you've seen, and it is the future for the S-Type sedan. Thank you, designer Ian Callum.

The Lincoln MKR is more than just a teaser; it's intended to show the brand's future direction. But, like most concepts, we'll never see its graceful lines on the roads as is.

If there's one unveiling I try to get to early, it's Mazda's. I'm always in awe of how unique and style-forward its designs are -- and the Ryuga continues to cement that belief. The name means "gracious flow" -- and its looks are just as sophisticated. It's Japanese beauty defined.

AMERICAN MUSCLE

Nobody does muscle like the Americans. It's where the concept began, continues and will likely always dominate. The Italians can build superb power machines, the Germans fine handlers and the Japanese the future, but muscle will always stay grounded in the United States. And, like last year's debut of the Dodge Challenger, Chevy Camaro and Ford Mustang Shelby GT500, the Big Three showed off again this year.

The Chevrolet Camaro Convertible Concept looks as if it's ready to roll. The top is cropped, it's splashed out in Hugger Orange that first appeared on Camaros in 1969 and, when it goes on sale, it'll likely come with a choice of a V6 or V8. It was one of the least surprising reveals at the show -- but the thought of it actually coming soon is exciting. Mark mid-2009 on your calendar.

Dodge's next-generation Viper SRT10 is more venomous than any snake on the planet. It boasts 600 hp from its 8.4-litre V10 -- that's 90 more than its predecessor. It goes from zero to 100 km/h in less than four seconds and pushes 560 pound-feet of torque. It slithers into dealers this summer.
Ford's "modern American muscle sedan" -- the four-door Interceptor -- looks suspiciously reminiscent of the Chrysler 300; it's just several years too late. It is, however, more brutish and bullish than the bold 300. Rear-wheel drive and a 4.6L V8 with 400 hp give it its muscle attitude.

WEIRD AND WACKY

Every year, we expect the strange in Detroit, and this year didn't disappoint. According to Nissan, its Bevel is aimed at 45- to 60-year-old men.

"This is the vehicle men have been dreaming about," says Brad Bradshaw, Nissan's senior vice-president of sales and marketing for North America. (No, Brad, see the American muscle category.) Instead, it looks like a child's playhouse on wheels complete with only one seat and a "utility pet zone."

The Ford Airstream looks like one of the classic silver camping trailers -- but with a windshield. Inspired by Stanley Kubrick's 2001: A Space Odyssey, the Airstream uses a plug-in hydrogen fuel cell drivetrain, pod chairs and a
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 01-26-2007, 10:08 PM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Anything to attract a crowd at Detroit auto show

It's exciting isn't it. I can't wait till it hits in this area. I have to wait until March 7-11 before it hits Kansas City. Darn it! I hate waiting!

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts